LegacyGT.com

OZ UltraLeggera

rexster

You guys are all talking about tracking.

I wasn't referring to track size.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that wider

tires are wanted for tracking and getting better grip.

If tracking was important, you wouldn't buy these Ultraleggera's anyway, you'd get ultralight weight forged wheels.

For the driving that 95% of the people do 99% of the time, extra wide wheels, with wide and heavy tires with ultra low profiles isn't necessary and isn't what most want. Hence the fact that most people who upsize

their wheels/tires on this car go with 215/40/18 or 225/40/18 tires with

18 x 7.5 inch wheels. That was my POINT when I originally stated

that NOT making the wheels in 18 x 7.5 size was a mistake.

Once again, Dan the "moderator" needs to chill and read the posts in the context they were intended and not start flaming.

I was not talking about tracking, I was talking about the rotational inertia of the tire/rim combo. A 225/40-18 tire has a MUCH greater rotational inertia than a 245/35-18 tire. SOOOOO, acceleration and suspension response are degraded. If you went to a 225/35-18, you would improve, but...

You loose sidewall and a lot of grip.

:spin:

Once again, Dan the "moderator" needs to chill and read the posts in the context they were intended and not start flaming.

You attempted to refute my point with incorrect info. No flamefest ever intended here Driver, just correcting you.

By the way, if by 'tracking' you mean taking it to the track, then you miss my point as well. Real world experience on the street has shown that when comparing the benefits of a wider tire at the expense of a small weight increase, there is no appreciable downside. I have had Volk LE37T's on the car with a 225/40 tire and currently use a Rota with 245/35 - no contest which works better for me.

You guys are all talking about tracking.

I wasn't referring to track size.

For the driving that 95% of the people do 99% of the time, extra wide wheels, with wide and heavy tires with ultra low profiles isn't necessary and isn't what most want. Hence the fact that most people who upsize

their wheels/tires on this car go with 215/40/18 or 225/40/18 tires with

18 x 7.5 inch wheels. That was my POINT when I originally stated

that NOT making the wheels in 18 x 7.5 size was a mistake.

wow, you just upset the tire god for making such a statement.

Uh, then why upsize? for style? you can't justify the taste for style when your entire arguement is about performance of matching a rim to a tire. And to make my arguement more valid, a 8" wide rim fits way better on a 225 than a 7.5" rim (do your math).

Your only justification of your logic is that you have been plague with this ricer notion because there's a MASS of 18x7.5 wheels sold and probably by the ricers they tell you to get a 215/35/18 or a 225/40/18 because that's the most common tire size to get, not to mention that the people who sell you this combo is "the one to have" because I bet you 90% of the time they only care about clearance fitments and neglecting the tires' load capacity which is even more important than grip/width.

And to make a more correct statement against your "sizing", a 245/35/18 sidewall height is very close to a 225/40/18 which your naked eye can't even tell the difference.. you wanna know about profiles? so tell me what weight difference would there be between these two tires? Tell me what the tire sidewall height difference between the two? I dare you to find me a tire model that has a weight difference of over 3 lbs between those two tire sizes.

And even the better idea, I bet you can't tell a difference from a 225/40/18 and 245/35/18 tire in a test drive. And if you want to know something, an 8" rim can handle 225/40/18 better than a 7.5" would in driving conditions with less sidewall flex and the bead would seat better as well.

Don't come in here speculating a "7.5 is THE size to have with a 225/40/18 tire" because it's not if you have the option to go wider, and in this case, having an 18"x8" with the correct offset is better than having a 18x7.5" on a 215/40/18 or 225/40/18 as the sidewall and the 8" rim are both equally as wide and have a very supported stance than on 7.5" wide rim would. This extra bit of width takes out the flex from the sidewalls, which allows the actual contact patch do its job of being in contact of the road, it also gives you a better feedback from the tires if you turn too much when coming off from an off ramp so that you can take out some of the steering.. the less sidewall flex you have, the less chance for you to upset the car.

This is the 21st century, along with going with taller & wider rims comes with having wider tires.. stop living in the dark ages with skinny rims for street use.

If anything you should prove why Subaru did a 17x7 wheel with the GT on a 215 tire and not go with a 205 or something of that sort. Dont you think that's a bit too wide of a tire for a 7" rim? why not argue that? or Better yet, why WRX rims are 16x6.5 with a 205? last time I checked, 1/2" = 12.7mm > 10mm tire width difference.

What is more rediculous is that you dont think having more of a contact patch on the road isnt safer for a driver?? Especially in a heavier car?? Where's the logic in that? Why wouldnt you want more grip?

The flaming comes from you making a claim of a rim company offering a wider rim size and you want a narrower rim, and for what? to save .2 to .5 lbs from the rim difference in width? To think a 7.5" rim fits better on a 225/40/18?? Give me a break.:icon_roll

Keefe

You attempted to refute my point with incorrect info. No flamefest ever intended here Driver, just correcting you.

By the way, if by 'tracking' you mean taking it to the track, then you miss my point as well. Real world experience on the street has shown that when comparing the benefits of a wider tire at the expense of a small weight increase, there is no appreciable downside. I have had Volk LE37T's on the car with a 225/40 tire and currently use a Rota with 245/35 - no contest which works better for me.

I didn't "refute" your point. Actually, I posted that it was a mistake not

to make 18 x 7.5 inch size, YOU asked why I stated that, I pointed out that

a 18 x 7.5 inch size is an ideal plus one size up with 215/40/18 tires

for the best balance of increased performance, handling, braking, as well

as easy availablity of high end tires that offer a weight reduction over stock all the while keeping as close to stock OD as possible.

You responded with a flame of "get your info correct before you post" attitude

about the size pointing out that 245/35/18 has the same OD as

215/40/18 does, but how much superior the 245/35 tire is.

Well, as I pointed out, a 245/35/18 tire would NOT fit well on an 18 x 7.5 inch rim....the rim I was talking about BEFORE you jumped in and

started flaming me with "get your info correct."

To ME and too the VAST majority of people who upsize their LGT's wheels/tires go for the 18 x 7.5 inch size with the 215/40/18 or

225/40/18 tire...again for the best "balance" of performance with everyday comfort and feel.

As I stated, for track duty, sure a wider wheel with the lower profile

tire (as your 245/35) would be beneficial, but again on a 8 inch wide rim, NOT the 7.5 inch rim I clearly was referring to.

You're deletion was a bit too late...report sent.

There you go again.....how's things over on Newberry anyway?

will a mod please close this thread please? This asshat is 'Driver72', a member that was banned previously, but came back under another alias (whic is explicitly forbidden).

Oh, and quit stalking me. You should have better things to do with your time, like trolling other boards.

Well, as I pointed out, a 245/35/18 tire would NOT fit well on an 18 x 7.5 inch rim....the rim I was talking about BEFORE you jumped in and

started flaming me with "get your info correct."

As I stated, for track duty, sure a wider wheel with the lower profile

tire (as your 245/35) would be beneficial, but again on a 8 inch wide rim, NOT the 7.5 inch rim I clearly was referring to.

I wouldn't want 35 size profile tires driving around the roads we have around here.

The whole point that you are forgetting is that this rim is made in 18x8.. so for that, 245/35/18 is good size to get. Why on earth would you want a rim company to make a narrower rim when they make a wider one that can use the same tire, and of course, fit even wider tires?!? Where's the mistake? Forget the track notion, tell me why it's bad to have a 18x8 with a 225/40/18 vs. a 245/35/18..

We are arguing here because you are sticking up for a rim size that the company doesnt even make and you have not pointed out what is wrong with a 18x8 regardless if you mounted a 225/40/18 or 245/35/18 tire. And if you know what performs better, a wider contact patch is way better for braking, the 245/35/18 is shorter than a 225/40/18 so you dont even lose as much as you think.

Hey, if you are so set on using 215/40/18 or 225/40/18 as your choice of tire size, go right ahead, it's obvious that you're too caught up that there are other tire sizes you can choose that can give you the same or even better ride quality, grip, braking, weigh reduction, and load capacity.

Keefe

Archived