LegacyGT.com

Words cannot describe the awesome - Vol 5

Flinkly

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commercial satellite photo. Assume that military satellites are better.

Capella-Space-Spot-Image-Juorng-Island-Singapore.jpg

https://www.capellaspace.com/capella-unveils-worlds-highest-resolution-commercial-sar-imagery/

some of the early satellite images have been declassified. Light reading suggests you need a FOIA request to access it. Best quality listed was

USGS EROS Archive – Declassified Satellite Imagery – 2 (1963 to 1980)

This set of photos, declassified in 2002, consists of photographs from the KH-7 GAMBIT surveillance system and KH-9 HEXAGON mapping program.

KH-7 image resolution is 2 to 4 feet (0.6 to 1.2 meters). About 18,000 black-and-white images and 230 color images are available.

40 years ago, 60cm by 120cm was pretty good. Today 50cm by 50cm seems like you don't understand the problem.

Search "reading newspaper from space". 5cm seemed to be the best resolution anyone could verify.

50cm x 50cm is probably what the government is allowing to be sold commercially. I'm not sure why anyone would need this in a commercial application unless they're just "monitoring" their competitors.

Resolution is mainly a function of signal bandwidth. They say they're running 500 MHz and their press release mentions future generations already having up to 1.2 GHz which effectively halfs the resolution.

Still kinda nuts that they can get that detailed of an image from space in a commercial application.

50cm x 50cm is probably what the government is allowing to be sold commercially. I'm not sure why anyone would need this in a commercial application unless they're just "monitoring" their competitors.

Mapping for self-driving cars is one application I can think of. But then 50cm is a bit coarse and I'd like a 10cm (4") resolution to get it right.

453747.png

Mapping for self-driving cars is one application I can think of. But then 50cm is a bit coarse and I'd like a 10cm (4") resolution to get it right.

Yeah that's actually a good one. I guess another would be is the possibility of integrating this with GPS data for other commercial applications.

40 years ago, 60cm by 120cm was pretty good. Today 50cm by 50cm seems like you don't understand the problem.

Search "reading newspaper from space".

In 1980 (40 years ago) I served on the Board of Directors for a professional organization that was international in scope; our membership even included the Soviet Academy of Sciences in Moscow. One of the other Board members would only say that he worked for the "Department of Defense," but we all assumed that was polite code for "NSA." One day he called and asked me to FedEx him a document. (I was in Oklahoma, he was in Virginia.) On a whim, I said, "It's a sunny day here. Why don't you just give me a time, and I'll go outside and hold it up for you?" Not funny! It was the first time I'd ever heard him angry. It was perhaps a decade later that I learned (through unclassified sources) just how close I had come to guessing their capabilities at the time.

BTW ... These days, 50 cm is pretty poor resolution for optical satellite surveillance, but the Capella system uses Synthetic Aperture Radar, the resolution limit of which is defined primarily by the radar signal's wavelength and the effective aperture of the system. As a point of reference, the wavelength at Capella's reported 600 MHz is about 20 inches (50 cm). Hmmmm ....

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Interesting thread:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfMI5ahbJI]ДеÑÑÑ‚Ð¸Ð·Ð°Ñ…Ð¾Ð´Ð½Ð°Ñ Ñ€ÐµÐ·ÑŒÐ±Ð° в два направлениÑ. - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

Here are 12 things to consider as we get closer to closing the door on one of the most horrible years of our lifetime:

1. The dumbest thing I ever bought was a 2020 planner.

2. I was so bored I called Jake from State Farm just to talk to someone. He asked me what I was wearing.

3. 2019: Stay away from negative people. 2020: Stay away from positive people.

4. The world has turned upside down. Old folks are sneaking out of the house & their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!

5. This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her dog. It was obvious she thought her dog understood her. I came into my house & told my cat. We laughed a lot.

6. Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

7. Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?

8. This virus has done what no woman has been able to do. Cancel sports, shut down all bars & keep men at home!

9. I never thought the comment, “I wouldn’t touch him/her with a 6-foot pole” would become a national policy, but here we are!

10. I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

11. I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to the Backyard. I’m getting tired of the Living Room.

12. Never in a million years could I have imagined I would go up to a bank teller wearing a mask & ask for money.

Feel free to copy and paste, I did.

http://hoaxes.org/images/hoaxarchive/1961rosebowl_title_650.jpg

That occurred eight months before I arrived at Caltech, so it was still a topic of reverent conversation. One detail omitted from the story you linked is that lock picking was a common skill among Caltech undergraduates, perhaps promoted in part by Richard Feynman's entertaining first-person tales of lock picking and safe cracking at Los Alamos during WW-II, and this skill was employed several times in perpetrating what came to be known locally as "The Great Rose Bowl RF."

Caltech's home football field was not lighted, so all their night games were played at the Rose Bowl stadium. There were only about 750 undergraduate students at Caltech at the time, vs. the Rose Bowl's seating capacity of about 92,000. You cannot imagine how empty the Rose Bowl looks, at night, with only about 50 people in the stands on each side. Some of the more risque cheers, though, probably would not have been tolerated had there been more people in the stands. One wag proudly proclaimed that "the Caltech football team played to more empty seats than any other school in the country."

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Boston Dynamics - Fun with Robots:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw]Do You Love Me? - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
I feel like I should be turning in my idiot card...

Don't feel bad, it eventually happens to most of us. There are always plenty of new stupid things to try if the mood hits you.

spacer.png