LegacyGT.com

Oil drain bolt

Ok,

My first mistake was going to Walmart for an oil change.

Now it’s possible that the bolt was leaking. It’s the first oil change done, since I purchased this 2014 Legacy 2.5.

Attempting to do an oil change this morning, there was a glob of blue stuff like epoxy on the bolt. Telling me Walmart over tightened or they were trying to fix a leaky bolt. Either way, I would like to get this bolt off, start doing my own oil changes again, and hopefully be able to fix this problem without breaking the bank.

In the past, I’ve used an oversized bolt, which I had pretty good luck with. It’s been years since I’ve done that fix, and I don’t remember if I need a certain thread size?

Also, someone mentioned to me, about some type of spout, which makes oil changes a bit easier.

Please, if anyone has ever dealt with this problem before, can you please share some information? All I know is that I put a12” breaker bar on the bolt,and it was very tight. I was afraid of breaking the pan or the bolt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I would be afraid to take it back and let Wallies try to fix it, they might make a worse mess than you have now. But I would certainly let then know about it. You have to get the drain plug out before you can see what damage was done. I would use whatever force is required to turn it, maybe an air impact wrench. The worse thing that can happen is you will need a new oil pan but it probably won't come to that. When you get the plug out you could try to clean the threads up with a proper size tap, if that don't work you will need to try an oversize self threading drain plug. Good luck. Edited by tumbleweed 49

i can't say anything about it being tough to get out, *but* that blue stuff they put on there is common from oil change places--it's evidence that the drain plug was put back on and tightened.

So the drain plug has the goop on it and is on there very tight? Is it leaking, or are you guessing it was leaking so they used the goop? Either way, you need to get the old drain plug off. I would say if you need more room, get the car in the air on jackstands, then you can use a longer ratchet or breaker bar and try to break it free. Apply whatever force is necessary to get the bolt out (also - make sure you are turning it the right way - many a drain bolt has been rounded off by folks getting mixed up under the car!). Odds are it's just on there really tight - worst case, it's cross threaded, unless they were using an impact to run the drain plug in or something...

If the bolt cracks free with a little force, then just clean it up and re-install with a new crush washer. (I wouldn't be surprised if there is no washer on there and they use the goop instead, or the goop is acting like a thread locker and binding things up). I would advise against using an impact as when the bolt cracks loose it's going to buzz right out and if you have it come all the way out, it's going to make a mess.

the part you are thinking about with the nozzle is probably a Fumoto valve (search - there are a bunch of threads about it) - lots of folks rave about it. I have always done it with the drain plug and never had an issue.

Do you have a pic? Like Creep stated, places do this so they know if it's been tampered with. Jiffy Lube does it all the time in my area. With your hand over the end of the breaker bar, make a fist with your other hand and beat on your hand holding the bar. A couple smacks and it should break loose. I've never seen a drain plug get put on with a gun or be so tight that it can't be removed with a few swift hits.

I spoke with the guy at Walmart. He advised me that they put the goo on there, to see if someone breaks the seal and tampered with it.

It’s a good idea, but it seems like they really tightened the bolt good.

I’ll have to take the advice of getting a breaker bar, and try it again.

Thanks for the info.