LegacyGT.com

Will a BOV require a tune?

a VTA valve will cause the car to run rich when lifting off the throttle if the ECU isnt tuned to account for the vented air. Thats why they make 50/50 valves.

Found a few posts stating the same thing when I searched more on the forum. Will likely run an adjustable BOV that can fully open/close and everywhere in between to account for this. Thanks for the reply

Simple answer is, it's harder then it's probably worth, even a CAI would require a tune...

To properly run Open BOV, you need to switch to a Blow-through MAF setup, where the BOV is before the MAF. In this application you can run open BOV all day long and the ECU will be non the wiser (because MAF hasn't counted that air yet). This requires you to have enough piping to fit all of this, which means TMIC is out of question.

You can't simply take a stock bypass valve (or a non adjustable BOV), plug it in and have it work right. It would be impossible to actually tune for, because the manifold vacuum would keep it open, causing a big giant vacuum leak. ECU would be constantly hunting to adjust the fuel trims, but since the BOV is not always open it would really screw with the fuel trims

With that said, there is a way to do it, it's not optimal but it's the only way to run a draw-through MAF setup with open BOV. Warning, this will probably result in muffler fires and ruined CAT's due to richness:

Get an adjustable BOV, fine tune the spring to be closed at idle and cruising vacuum, BUT it still needs to be soft enough to open during gear shifts, otherwise compressor SURGE HELLLO.

In this setup, you will only be leaking metered air during gear shifts, which will result in very rich AFR's during shifts, which could lead to premature CAT destruction along with muffler fires. In theory you could tune this out too, by leaning out shift enrichment (though I'm not sure if we even have these tables to muck with).

With that said, I echo whitetiger, getting an aftermarket intake would increase the BOV sounds but most require retunes still. K&N Typhoon is smaller diameter then stock, so it doesn't mess with the tune as badly, but you should still retune for max safety. See this thread for more details.

No.

I get where you are getting here, but this kind of response is neither constructive or useful and can actually confuse the OP/someone else. OP asked two questions; whether bov requires a tune or is it simply plug and play, one could construe that you are saying "No, you do not need a tune to run BOV".

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

OP, remove the silencer from under the air filter box, run a K&N filter lightly oiled. With a catted DP stock midpipe, open mufflers. You'll have all the sound you want.

My wagon has Pro Lab Tuning straight through mufflers, I can hear the waste gate whistle, turbo spool and BOV at times.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here