LegacyGT.com

Upgraded Radiator / oil cooler questions

So, after my chassis refresh, I am planning my engine refresh (full rebuild to come in about a year). One of the things I want to do is replace the 236K mile OE radiator. I am thinking either Koyo but I found the CSF racing radiator here. Has anyone had experience with using it? Also does the oil sandwich plate replace the OE oil cooler?

This seems pretty sweet since it is a better oil cooler than OE, and upgraded radiator.

Thanks on any input

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I have used CSF radiators before ( not the all aluminum ones ) and they are oe equivelant. I have seen mishimoto, fitment is horrible. I had a Koyo V-flow on my 400hp legacy GT that I sold. It fit perfectly and was incredibly cool. ;)

When I need another one, I will be purchasing a Koyo again. Good luck!

Yeah, I am not a fan of Mishimoto either, purely based on what I have heard. The price tag for the CSF racing radiator and oil cooler is the same as doing a Koyo rad, and separate air oil cooler. I would like to get rid of the factory oil cooler, to make the system better and increase oil capacity a bit.

So price isn't really an issue, between the two methods I am debating now. The CSF seems closer to OE functionality

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

• 2 years later...

BUMP from the dead. I'm not looking into this as CSF site and others like RSD doesn't show 4th gen legacy fitment.

I'm looking at either: 7042/7042O or 7028/7028O (O = Built in oil cooler). I would go more likely with the regular 7042 BUT i cannot confirm fitment. The ONLY site that I was able to show the legacy being able to use it is limitlessmotorsports.ca in Canada.

Called CSF customer service today and the lady on the phone said to call a dealer since they don't have any technicians available.

I have the CSF 7042 STI radiator on my 2006 LGT, no issues other than slight trimming of the upper rad hose due to the thicker radiator.

Awesome. I think we are going to get that one. This works with the stock fans correct? I don’t need to run 2008 WRX/STI fans right?

Got any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMO I would not get the thicker radiator again. I don't like how close things get. Even getting to the belt tensioners is a PITA.

Yes you can run stock fans, This is the Mishimoto radiator.

DSCN7476.thumb.JPG.cc965b79887e78999549c1cc75bd4c61.JPG

DSCN7475.thumb.JPG.f65264e8cf3a0e73ca90ba9937545605.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

IMO I would not get the thicker radiator again. I don't like how close things get. Even getting to the belt tensioners is a PITA.

Yes you can run stock fans, This is the Mishimoto radiator.

[ATTACH]293537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]293538[/ATTACH]

Yeah. Single vs dual is a lot of space. I’ll research the difference in thickness.

I have a koyo specific for the LGT and it fits great. I love it.
Same. I trimmed .5 from both ends of the upper hose and engine side of lower hose when replacing them. Thete is plenty of clearance now. Hose to fan and hose to pulley. Trimming the engine side of the lower hose just put everything at a proper angle and eliminated the slight kink.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk