LegacyGT.com

Front brakes

So i learned recently that the 05 Legacy has 2 different brake setups in the front. A bigger, and a smaller one. When i go online however, there usually aen't options between the two. I have the smaller setup, and i was looking to get slotted brake rotors. Anyone have/ find them online?

The smaller setup is for the base Legacy non turbo, and the larger setup is for the GT. You can source the correct ones on rockauto.com which has great prices.

I have a GT though. You’re saying the brakes for my car are the same as the brakes for the base level 2.5i?

I have a GT though. You’re saying the brakes for my car are the same as the brakes for the base level 2.5i?

I assumed you had the 2.5i because you said you had the smaller setup... if you have a GT then you already have the larger brakes.

I assumed you had the 2.5i because you said you had the smaller setup... if you have a GT then you already have the larger brakes.

The smaller setup is for the base Legacy non turbo, and the larger setup is for the GT. You can source the correct ones on rockauto.com which has great prices.

Yeah, apparently i'm not the only one confused. The GT game with multiple brake options. (Bigger rotors as well as differently shaped pads/calipers. Why they did this, I'll never know. All i know is that it makes buying brakes online a gamble. You never know which ones you have until you try to put them on, and them THICC bois dont fit. I'll try and see if the s.5i brakes fit though, if not, then Subaru is off their rockers with the different brake options.

Yeah, apparently i'm not the only one confused. The GT game with multiple brake options. (Bigger rotors as well as differently shaped pads/calipers. Why they did this, I'll never know. All i know is that it makes buying brakes online a gamble. You never know which ones you have until you try to put them on, and them THICC bois dont fit. I'll try and see if the s.5i brakes fit though, if not, then Subaru is off their rockers with the different brake options.

Not sure where you heard this information but all 2005-2009 Legacy GTs have the bigger GT brake. It’s the Outback XT/2.5i that does not have them.

Not sure where you heard this information but all 2005-2009 Legacy GTs have the bigger GT brake. It’s the Outback XT/2.5i that does not have them.

Yup, exactly this. It has never changed.

LGT = 315mm or 12.3in front rotor (30mm thicc), everything else uses a 295mm/11.8in rotor (25mm thicc). The rears go from non-vented to vented on the GT. The diameter stays the same (290mm).

For completeness the 3.0R in Canada comes with the smaller 2.5i brakes. Rather then the GT brakes.

The 3.0R Limited in the USA comes with the larger GT brakes. While the 3.0R base in the USA comes with the 2.5i brakes (I think).

What would I need to go from the 2.5 base i to GT fronts?

I guessing pads, rotors and calipers. Would I need to run 17 inch rims, and would I need the hubs?

Thanks

Everything you mentioned, sans hubs. Calipers bolt up to your hub no problem.

Archived