LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I have an 05 LGT head unit with Jazzy aux installed that I’d sell, and I just threw away a parrot BT adapter kit for it too. Was using an iPod myself until about 2 years ago when I moved to the JDM DD.

JDM DD is soooo much better, sorry

18 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I have an 05 LGT head unit with Jazzy aux installed that I’d sell, and I just threw away a parrot BT adapter kit for it too. Was using an iPod myself until about 2 years ago when I moved to the JDM DD.

JDM DD is soooo much better, sorry

I have the same thing in the parts bin as well, I removed it from the car when the display died. Found another stock unit tor replace it, but left the Jazzy aux out.... The blank CD thing grinds my gears, and also will wear out the CD player faster than is really necassary. And since I still use it regularly, I'd like it to have as long of a life as possible.

We're all allowed to like the things we like. I would personally remove a 2x DIN unit from a car if it came with one, and replace with stock. It has no advantages that are useful to me, and doesn't look good IMO.

Why spend hundreds of dollars on a things that you aren't going to utilize?

Prior to my short block replacement, I had gone to a local shop (legendary place, PIA in Spanaway/Tacoma WA) and the 'tweaked' my tune to try and work out some hesitation bugs.  AFTER the short block, I was still running the modified tune.  I went back and they quickly flashed back to stock.  Without knowing if the prior odd behavior the tune compensated for was caused by the soon-to-leave-me ringlands and a poor internal condition, I wanted to be as stock as possible before I start looking for and troubleshooting new issues as they crop up.

Also, still looking for wheels.  Nothing wrong with the stocks, but they're heavy and I want less spoke and more brakes visible.  

Replaced oem turbo inlet, rebuilt vf40 again, repositioned catch cans, swapped to a Perrin BPV, changed a couple hoses, hopefully extending the life a little longer before I do the sb, has 206000 miles now.

On 10/11/2023 at 12:12 PM, KZJonny said:

We're all allowed to like the things we like. I would personally remove a 2x DIN unit from a car if it came with one, and replace with stock. It has no advantages that are useful to me, and doesn't look good IMO.

Why spend hundreds of dollars on a things that you aren't going to utilize?

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto + backup camera is not an advantage? That's the sole reason I swap out a stereo in any older car that doesn't have all that from the factory. Plus, far better sound and sub/amp support than any factory stereo is a nice perk, too. But, that's me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hitman47 said:

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto + backup camera is not an advantage? That's the sole reason I swap out a stereo in any older car that doesn't have all that from the factory. Plus, far better sound and sub/amp support than any factory stereo is a nice perk, too. But, that's me.

You need to have a smart phone for Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto to work I think? If so, I do not, so they are no advantage, yet they are costly.

I'm fine with just ya know... looking behind my car while backing up...... Also, a backup camera does not provide particularly good lateral vision, (child or dog runnning at you from the side while backing up) which just using the old mark 1 eyeball does. I also really hate video screens, like... I have never had a television and my computer is tucked away out of site in the corner of my spare room. Putting a screen into my car would completely ruin the experience of driving the car, which is, I think, why most of us are here?

I also think getting in the habit of using driving nannies is a bad one. I suspect very few would argue I should put an LCD screen and a backup camera in my '71 Datsun for example. As a result I will still be looking backward to park while driving 2 of my 3 cars....

And I really doubt the "improved sound" would be meaningful to me. I typically listen to journalism radio in the car, or a CD if what is being discussed on CBC or NPR isn't especially interesting at that moment. Stock system is more than sufficient to listen to people talking and most video units don't have CD players....

I don't begrudge people that can take advantage of these things, or enjoy having them. I just don't like being told that something is "better" than my way of doing things completely out of context of the use case scenario. Not advocating for people to keep stock if they don't like it. Hell, I benefit because that puts more stock head units on the market for when mine inevitably breaks again.... ;)

16 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

You need to have a smart phone for Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto to work I think? If so, I do not, so they are no advantage, yet they are costly.

I'm fine with just ya know... looking behind my car while backing up...... Also, a backup camera does not provide particularly good lateral vision, (child or dog runnning at you from the side while backing up) which just using the old mark 1 eyeball does. I also really hate video screens, like... I have never had a television and my computer is tucked away out of site in the corner of my spare room. Putting a screen into my car would completely ruin the experience of driving the car, which is, I think, why most of us are here?

I also think getting in the habit of using driving nannies is a bad one. I suspect very few would argue I should put an LCD screen and a backup camera in my '71 Datsun for example. As a result I will still be looking backward to park while driving 2 of my 3 cars....

And I really doubt the "improved sound" would be meaningful to me. I typically listen to journalism radio in the car, or a CD if what is being discussed on CBC or NPR isn't especially interesting at that moment. Stock system is more than sufficient to listen to people talking and most video units don't have CD players....

I don't begrudge people that can take advantage of these things, or enjoy having them. I just don't like being told that something is "better" than my way of doing things completely out of context of the use case scenario. Not advocating for people to keep stock if they don't like it. Hell, I benefit because that puts more stock head units on the market for when mine inevitably breaks again.... ;)

Copy all. Yes, in your case, makes perfect sense.

Apologies if any offense taken! I just thought by your previous comment that (like so many still do) you had a phone mounted somewhere on the dash or windshield due to no stereo that supports mirroring your phone instead.

Also, on the backup camera front, I still use all my mirrors too but I'll look at the camera at the end for the final parking position (I back in 100% to every parking spot). I agree and would never advocate for sole reliance on a limited view camera :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hitman47 said:

Copy all. Yes, in your case, makes perfect sense.

Apologies if any offense taken! I just thought by your previous comment that (like so many still do) you had a phone mounted somewhere on the dash or windshield due to no stereo that supports mirroring your phone instead.

Also, on the backup camera front, I still use all my mirrors too but I'll look at the camera at the end for the final parking position (I back in 100% to every parking spot). I agree and would never advocate for sole reliance on a limited view camera :)

No offence taken at all. 

That was a bit of a rant. I should throw out the Canadian "I'm sorry" to everyone who bothered to read it all. I'm generally not all that grumpy, and I don't think I'm super old yet... Lol! Maybe I am?

:hide:

Edited by KZJonny

So @KZJonny in my 05 I have the P-206UHB head unit (OE subaru in 08/09). This is the Harmon Karden head unit since I wired up the amplifier and speakers for a complete HK stereo that was a factory option in 08/09. The other OE headunits of those years have the same functionality (as long as they have the SAT and AUX button on the input selector). There is a Satellite plug in the back of the head unit where things like Sirius or XM radio modules could be plugged in (if your car has the antenna for those). There does exist a factory iPod interface (H621SXA200). I bought it years ago and love it!  It displays song name and other info on the headunit while the iPod is plugged in hidden in the center console. Likely won't work with non apple ipod like device.

Anyway I got this (  SUB08B3 ) for bluetooth to my phone for hands free calling mainly and also the easily listen to podcast from my phone etc. So far (1 week review) its been great. Does exactly what I needed and keeps all functionality of the car OE. No blank CD, no excess wires, OE head unit and functionality. It is pricey (which had me holding off for the past year or so to pull the trigger for such a little update) but no complaints so far

Side not to all...these cars have fantastic viability compared to modern cars. No Back up camera needed, come at me 🤪

• Like 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

23 minutes ago, jaylew said:

Side not to all...these cars have fantastic visibility compared to modern cars. No Back up camera needed, come at me 🤪

And this! I can understand in other vehicles. For example, my Dad has a Ford Edge, and on top of being a turd of a car to drive, it is uncomfortable, difficult to look backwards in and has awful visibility. Doesn't help he's blind in one eye... Good application of a back-up camera. 😜

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

Put the white wagon up on quickjacks; changed the oil, changed the spark plugs, and she was good to go.

About 90 min total (over last night and this morning). 

Plugs were about 3 years old, still looked decent but aged.

90 minutes for plugs isn't bad. Only time I've done mine was with the engine already out, haha.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

Put the white wagon up on quickjacks; changed the oil, changed the spark plugs, and she was good to go.

About 90 min total (over last night and this morning). 

Plugs were about 3 years old, still looked decent but aged.

How many miles on the plugs? I should probably change mine. 3 years and 55K already.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

How many miles on the plugs? I should probably change mine. 3 years and 55K already.

Looking back at receipts, it looks like 4 years and about 45k miles.

NGK LFR7AIX

They might not have needed it quite yet, but I was starting to get a *slight* hesitation and the rare misfire.  For my setup, that was a change in behavior, so I figured it was about time.  The plugs were tired but clean.

12 hours ago, SilentJ20 said:

90 minutes for plugs isn't bad. Only time I've done mine was with the engine already out, haha.

Last time I did it, it was with the engine out. :lol:

I've changed plugs so many times I can do it from the top or from underneath, I have a system with socket, short extension, and a ratcheting wrench w/ socket stub insert so it's really thin. In and out one piece at a time, and turning with fingers as much as possible due to the tight space.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 7:42 AM, KZJonny said:

Which head unit are you using? I also found an '07 centre console that has the aux port, and I have the post-facelift radio that has an aux function. I think you also have an '05 so it wouldn't have come with the SAT/AUX function.

I'm with you on the double DIN thing personally. Don't think it fits the feel of the car, but as you say, it's all personal. I also do not use a smart phone (no, I don't use a smart phone) so pretty much all of the functionality of a big moderm headunit is wasted on me.

I believe all I need to connect the two is some kind of custom wiring by @SVXdc? I just need to unlazy myself and pay for it. Or.... you meniton the OE iPod Adaptor? That would work for me as well. I still use a Sony mp3 player.

Bro how do you even look at pron without a smartphone?

• Haha 3

Been getting a little clacking going over road bumps lately… bigger stuff. Railroad tracks and the like. Since I’m going on a road trip this week, I wanted to track it down first. Went over every nut and bolt in the suspension to see if anything was loose. Nada.

Took a look at the brakes, just because, and realized somewhere along the way I’d lost a caliper slide pin bolt!!! 😬

2E5F02F5-704A-4E2B-8F41-99E98A7753CA.thumb.jpeg.5cc9e4df7af2235d194c203bc46d39b2.jpeg

Threw in a new/used one from the parts bin. All good. I hope. (Yeah, I know my calipers need paint and are costing my like…. 10hp)

While I was in there….. installed a Perrin steering lockdown that was on sale. Curious to see if I can even notice the difference.

EF1F1103-ABE3-47AD-8542-EC76F5E74E5F.thumb.jpeg.1e8bcb1332d0b07a98fffb4819ba80e9.jpeg

• Like 2

Just got to work after an aggressive 30+ min commute, pulling in to oark had smoke from the A/C vent. Temp gauge looks normal. No noticeable smoke in engine bay. Burnt compressor? Anyone wanna weigh in? Smoke was whiteish w little to no odor, fwiw. 

2 hours ago, Kojak said:

Just got to work after an aggressive 30+ min commute, pulling in to oark had smoke from the A/C vent. Temp gauge looks normal. No noticeable smoke in engine bay. Burnt compressor? Anyone wanna weigh in? Smoke was whiteish w little to no odor, fwiw. 

What was ambient temp and humidity?

• Thanks 1

I’ve been staring at the new filter in the passenger foot well for over a month. Long overdue. Drove another hour for work and an hour home, no repeat performance. Temps ranged from low 70’s at ignition to foggy and 60’s over a bay area bridge, then mid 80’s as I was spitting distance to Sonoma Speedway and into Napa. Chalking it up to old cabin filter, odd atmospheric conditions and running my heater for the first time in months last nite. Appreciate the prompt support. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2