LegacyGT.com

Passenger airbag off light

Ok, I broke down yesterday and had my cvt fluid and differential oil changed at the dealer yesterday.

I was told that the passenger airbag was under recall, but it was a 3 hour job so I couldn’t wait.

I questioned the mechanic if changing the airbag will turn off the airbag off light, and was told no.

This seems ridiculous, that they want to put a new passenger airbag in, but it won’t work.

Is anyone else having this problem? This is a safety issue, which could in fact cause death.

It doesn’t make any sense!!! Do I have to worry every time I have a passenger in the car?

If anyone has a fix for this problem, please let me know.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Changing the airbag is a good idea for safety reasons and getting all you can out of this recall so your car is covered.

The fix for the lamp is likely bad solder joints on a couple of resistors on the board of the display. Least that was the fix for my 06.

Takes a few min to inspect and hit the joints with a small iron to get the solder to flow again and make solid contact on the trace.

you are way over thinking it. if you are that worried leave the seat un occupied

I lost a family member in a car accident.

Don’t want it to happen again...

If I wanted the passenger seat unoccupied, I’d be riding a motorcycle!!!

Does the "airbag off" light stay on when someone's sitting in that seat, or does it switch to "airbag on"? If I'm reading your first post correctly, that's your concern- there's a sensor in the seat to see if someone's in it, and if it's unoccupied and you get in a crash that results in airbag deployment, the front passenger's airbags won't fire. If that passenger's seat sensor isn't reading correctly, that'd be a separate issue from what's fixed by replacing the airbag.

The airbag off light stays on all the time, even if someone is sitting in the passenger seat.

I wonder if someone disconnected the passenger seat sensor that determines if someone is sitting in that seat.

Depends on whether that switch is normally open or normally closed. I feel like I've seen it in the vacation pics before, but I won't have a chance to go looking until later.

Is there just a switch underneath the seat?

Is it something that is fairly easy to change?

I believe it is built into the seat, but it generally hasn't been an issue, at least not a widespread one. I would also assume it would be a normally open switch since unplugging it leaves the airbag off and the light illuminated.

The plugs on older airbag systems have been an issue in previous subaru models. It would be worth checking them for any corrosion or contamination.

Because of the light saying passenger airbag off.

Do you think the airbag will not work in an accident? Or is it just the light that I need to worry about? That’s probably a question that can’t be answered without getting it checked.

Because of the light saying passenger airbag off.

Do you think the airbag will not work in an accident? Or is it just the light that I need to worry about? That’s probably a question that can’t be answered without getting it checked.

I believe if the seat switch isnt reading an occupant the airbag wont deploy. If you cant troubleshoot it yourself definitely get it looked at.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's correct, that airbag will only deploy if the sensor decides there's an adult in the seat.

Also, just to close the loop- I found these components in the FSM, looks like the switch is integrated into the control module embedded in the seat cushion, and there's nothing in the manual about whether it's normally open or closed.

FWIW I looked at Heuberger as well and didn't didn't find the control unit referenced in the interior section only the wire harness. Didn't have the time to poke around more looking for the control unit.

According to the manual, the control unit, switch, and seat cushion are a single unit, and it's pretty clear that no attempt should be made to change that fact. There are a handful of diagnostic procedures in there, but they all start with connecting the SSM tool, so that may be a dealer thing. Hopefully when they do the recall airbag replacement, they have some sort of "make sure this thing will actually work" test that they do after, and with any luck, they'll scan it and pull a code.

Archived