LegacyGT.com

Owners riding on RE-92's...

inthedeck

For some of you that have switched to the Legacy GT from a WRX, how does the 17 in. version of the RE-92 compare to the 16 in. version of the RE-92? Basically, I know that they are really not the greatest tires, for anything, except getting rid of, but are the 17's ANY different? Do they even 'feel' any different? or are they basically the same 'ole garbage that came on the WRX, and are now on the LGT? Any info. is all good. i.

[quote name='SUBE555']Opie is probably the only person we know in love with RE92's. Must be that parts dept break on them. ;)[/quote] :lol: I don't love them...I just don't see the need to spend the money to upgrade them until they are gone. When mine are gone I'll get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's :D ..and the RE92's are fine in the rain or dry...you just have to be a little better driver to stay ahead of their "weaknessess". ;)

Those Eagles are incredible (I have them on a car and they are simply amazing), but for those of use who don't live in Florida, you don't want to be driving on them when the termperatures drop below 40 or so. I am with Opie on this, the stock tires are perfectly aceptable tires, there are certainly better tires out there, but it is not like you are being reckless by driving a Legacy with the stock tires.

What rao and Opie said. The RE-92 is a fine stock tire. Just don't drive like a butthead in the rain, and you'll be fine. The trick is more pressure. Running them (I know...I did) at about 37-39 psi really improves the handling, communicativeness and ride quality. They aren't as squishy. Part of why the are better than the WRX RE-92s is simply the shorter sidewall. A 45-series tire will always work better than a 55-series tire. Less sidewall flop, etc. Good luck, Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='SUBE555']Dragged in kickin around like a fich fresh out of water. :lol: Yes, the RE92 might be alright for a decent amount of people, I'm just not average by any means. :)[/quote] Below average? :laugh:

I'd agree that for normal daily driving the re92s will get you around. But I will admit I drive a little more agressive then most and you really have to have your head on straight and know what the car and tires can do in the rain. You have to predict when you will start to loose grip, and also how far you will slide sideways through a turn when you do. In the rain it doesn't take much to get these tires to loose all grip, even with subaru's awd. I don't feel safe driving these in the rain, they hydroplane like crazy, and get slimy and squirmy in turns. I plan on upgrading them come spring time to something like Toyo T1's, Goodyear F1's (had them on my wrx for two seasons they wouldn't make it a third), or maybe if I can afford it, the PS2's. I will try increasing the pressure, but I don't think it will help where these tires are lacking the most, and thats in the rain. I said it before and I will say it again they Suck! in the rain.

I must drive like a sissy, because I don't have a big problem with the stock tires either. All four tires had 32 psi from the dealership (the door sticker says 33 for the rear and 35 for the front). I raised the pressure to 35 rear/ 37 front and that seemed to help. That being said I will definately upgrade when these wear out. Chris S.

Just wondering how those RE92's work for hard stops? I know with my Toyos, I have done a few hard stops and I haven't felt the ABS kick in once while those stoppers pull you down from speed in a very quick hurry! I was very impressed, but I am quite sure at least a good part was tires. Does ABS kick in with hard stops and RE92's? Do you seem to stop longer than you think it should? Comparo between tires?

[quote name='SUBE555']Just wondering how those RE92's work for hard stops? I know with my Toyos, I have done a few hard stops and I haven't felt the ABS kick in once while those stoppers pull you down from speed in a very quick hurry! I was very impressed, but I am quite sure at least a good part was tires. Does ABS kick in with hard stops and RE92's? Do you seem to stop longer than you think it should? Comparo between tires?[/quote] Yup, I haven't felt the ABS once.. and I have done some hard beltline stops here in Madison.. love the tires so far. (Toyo's)

I've got the Proxes 4's as well as Zevil above. For the money and an All-Season tire, I think they work rather well. It's a more variable version of the T1-S as I'm told, but can get you home if you get stuck out in snowy conditions. I haven't tried it in snow, and I don't do much snow driving in any case, I just want to be able to get to work/school and back without too much hassle, should be better than RE92's in any case, but in dry/wet, they seem to do rather well. I'm pretty impressed with those aspects so far. Best performing tire I've used thus far and I'm rather impressed! Used to use Continental CEC's on my old GT Sedan (MY97), and those were no comparison to these in performance abilities and quietness! So if you ask me, I'd say Toyo's (were at or above $100 less than the PZero Nero's for about the same performance.)

I've done a few hard stops in mine, in both the dry and the wet, no ABS kicking in (on the RE9s's) on either occurance. I never thought the RE92-s had a straight line traction problem (starting or stopping), I always thought it was a sideways (turning hard) traction problem.

[quote name='Opie']I've done a few hard stops in mine, in both the dry and the wet, no ABS kicking in (on the RE9s's) on either occurance. I never thought the RE92-s had a straight line traction problem (starting or stopping), I always thought it was a sideways (turning hard) traction problem.[/quote] I have not tried the wet, but in the dry last night, I tested out the brakes and tires on an empty road. Got up to around 55, then hit the brakes. The ABS did not kick in, and I had a grin on my face. :D I tried it a couple more times after letting them cool down a bit, and same result. We'll see how the brakes and tires do for autox..

Archived