LegacyGT.com

Wind noise

Max Capacity

Hi, I have just found this site. My 05 GT Wagon is my 3rd GT since 1998. This is the first one that makes a wind noise, like a whistle, from the area of the drivers window when the window is down and I drive above 50mph. I have posted this question on [url]www.i-club.com[/url] but no one there has this problem. Has any body else heard this noise from there 05GT or Wagon ? I have a case number with Subaru of America and will meet with the service manager this Friday at 9AM.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='Max Capacity']Hi, I have just found this site. My 05 GT Wagon is my 3rd GT since 1998. This is the first one that makes a wind noise, like a whistle, from the area of the drivers window when the window is down and I drive above 50mph. I have posted this question on [url]www.i-club.com[/url] but no one there has this problem. Has any body else heard this noise from there 05GT or Wagon ? I have a case number with Subaru of America and will meet with the service manager this Friday at 9AM.[/quote] Yes, mine does it. It's the air going in between the mirror mount creating a whistle, I hate it too. Take your finger and put it in front of the gap of the mirror mount, it goes away.

[quote name='Throttlejockey'][quote name='Max Capacity']Hi, I have just found this site. My 05 GT Wagon is my 3rd GT since 1998. This is the first one that makes a wind noise, like a whistle, from the area of the drivers window when the window is down and I drive above 50mph. I have posted this question on [url]www.i-club.com[/url] but no one there has this problem. Has any body else heard this noise from there 05GT or Wagon ? I have a case number with Subaru of America and will meet with the service manager this Friday at 9AM.[/quote] Yes, mine does it. It's the air going in between the mirror mount creating a whistle, I hate it too. Take your finger and put it in front of the gap of the mirror mount, it goes away.[/quote] I have found the same thing and have found the same solution. Guess I can live with it.

not sure that tape would be the best idea...given where you apply it, since the mirrors might have issues folding, if you did do that. Anyway, just a suggestion. It also happens on my MY02 WRX...gotten used to it now...so I'm sure this will be nothing new. later, i.

[quote name='Max Capacity']May be a piece of the 3M clear tape will solve the problem. Thanks for the quick reply's.[/quote] I would fold the mirror in, put a thin piece of foam(or something waterproof) between it and then fold the mirror back out. I just thought of this and may try it.

might just work...if the insert is just enough to fill the gap. I suppose foam/plastic might make a good test piece...given that they are fairly malleable, and will 'squish' when the mirror is not 'folded'. Maybe even a piece of rubber, or something, from a bicycle tire inner-tube, or something. Anyway, let us know, if you do try it. Later, i.

Funny how preceptions are relative. I'm coming from a 98 Forester S and I think that my GT wagon is soooo quiet! :D With the previous Legacy/OB there was a TSB out on the gasket that sits over the side mirrors. The quick fix was to roll down your windows, clamp the gasket between your hands and gently bend it inward. Ken

My son thinks that a piece of weather striping should work. It will be sticky on one side and seal the gap on the other side.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

FOUND A SOLUTION: Frustrated with my 05 legacy high pitched and low pitched wind noise. I took of the top 2 cross members of the rack system...easy to do with the rack keys, just turn counterclockwise and unscrew the clamp system and off they go. I pull onto the freeway thereafter and vois la, no more friggin noise. No high pitched squeal at 50mph and no low pitched fluttering air noise either. Too bad subaru didn't just give us all wind deflectors. I'll be looking for one now to make my racks functional again without the aggravating noise. Take em off and see what happens.

Max Capacity, Do you have the crossbars? I guess you do if you have the wagon. Do you have the crossbars on right now? The reason I ask, I had the same damn whislting noise when I first got my wagon. It takes me two days to figure it out. I was driving down the highway and had my hand out the window covering different parts of the car (mirror, wiper, etc.) What the noise was coming from, was the crossbars. One of the plastic end caps fell off. I replaced the cap and volla, noise gone. Let me know if that was it. If so you owe me a soda.

[quote name='firedawgs']Max Capacity, Do you have the crossbars? I guess you do if you have the wagon. Do you have the crossbars on right now? The reason I ask, I had the same damn whislting noise when I first got my wagon. It takes me two days to figure it out. I was driving down the highway and had my hand out the window covering different parts of the car (mirror, wiper, etc.) What the noise was coming from, was the crossbars. One of the plastic end caps fell off. I replaced the cap and volla, noise gone. Let me know if that was it. If so you owe me a soda.[/quote] Interesting, I took all of them off since one had already popped off. Perhaps the noise(high pitched noise) was coming from that one endcap missing. I don't know if that would answer the low drone flutter noise that was much more annoying than the high pitched squeal.

My service manager talked to SoA and Subaru of New England yesterday. They will begin an investigation into the problem. In the mean time I'm off to get weather striping. Thanks for all your reply's.

I test drove a GT wagon this weekend and it made the most awful loud, high-pitched whistling noise when it got over about 60 or 65 mph. The salesman said he had never heard that before, and he had taken the car out about 3 or 4 times that week. He was taking it straight to service when we got back to the dealership. I am looking at the sedan, so hopefully it won't have the same noise problem.

[quote name='rockford33']I test drove a GT wagon this weekend and it made the most awful loud, high-pitched whistling noise when it got over about 60 or 65 mph. The salesman said he had never heard that before, and he had taken the car out about 3 or 4 times that week. He was taking it straight to service when we got back to the dealership. I am looking at the sedan, so hopefully it won't have the same noise problem.[/quote] It's from the mirror. It'll have it.

Archived