LegacyGT.com

Tribeca 25mm sway bars on 4th gen legacy GT?

I read something interesting today and now I'm a bit curious. Can the Tribeca front sway bar fit our 4th gen legacy GT? Has anyone done this? I saw in the post that it fit on a 4th gen 2.5i and I've seen it on gen 1 legacy's. Are the 4th gen n/a and GT models front sway bar the same or at least the same fitment?

I don't believe you can fit Tribeca's FSB on GT. Exhaust headers are different and get in the way. I have all 3 in the garage (see my sig) and we did fit Tribeca's FSB on 05 OB NA.

Either 2.5i or 3.0 will work, but not turbo headers.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

the turbo headers do not get in the way. the exhaust path goes up to the turbo, away from the bar area. the GT bar wont fit an N/A since the GT bar does not have the provisions for the N/A exhaust.

So, all bars fit the GT, but GT bars wont fit the N/A

My local dealer gives a great discount on parts, so the sway bar (20401XA00A) is $56 and the forester endlinks (20470SA011) were $24 each. I bought energy suspension 25mm bushings for 20 shipped. Otherwise you can buy the Tribeca bushings, but they need to be trimmed to fit.

the turbo headers do not get in the way. the exhaust path goes up to the turbo, away from the bar area. the GT bar wont fit an N/A since the GT bar does not have the provisions for the N/A exhaust.

So, all bars fit the GT, but GT bars wont fit the N/A

Interesting. I didn't know that. I have Perrin GT FSB off the car atm, wish I had the NA or Tribeca FSB laying around to test fit.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

My local dealer gives a great discount on parts, so the sway bar (20401XA00A) is $56 and the forester endlinks (20470SA011) were $24 each. I bought energy suspension 25mm bushings for 20 shipped. Otherwise you can buy the Tribeca bushings, but they need to be trimmed to fit.

Is this the FSB or RSB?

A very helpful thread indeed. Definitely something to consider, to upgrade my old sway bars that's on the car, along with the end links and bushings. At least I don't have to consider the Whiteline option. Definitely curious to see how the body roll is minimized with this thicker sway bar.

Any reason why we have to choose Forester end links, vs say Tribeca/Legacy end links? Also do you have the part # for the Energy suspension bushings by chance?

Edited by djemzine

Is this the FSB or RSB?

A very helpful thread indeed. Definitely something to consider, to upgrade my old sway bars that's on the car, along with the end links and bushings. At least I don't have to consider the Whiteline option. Definitely curious to see how the body roll is minimized with this thicker sway bar.

Any reason why we have to choose Forester end links, vs say Tribeca/Legacy end links? Also do you have the part # for the Energy suspension bushings by chance?

This is the FSB setup.

The Forester end links are beefy and last a long time. A subaru mechanic I know recommended this swap and used the Forester end links without issue.

Here is the link for the bushings I ordered.

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.5129_front

This is the FSB setup.

The Forester end links are beefy and last a long time. A subaru mechanic I know recommended this swap and used the Forester end links without issue.

Thanks for confirming! How about the rear sway bar from the Tribeca? Or do you recommend a STi rear sway bar?

Rear sway bars are different for the wagons. As far as I know, you will have to go after market to find a upgraded rear sway bar to go along with this bar. I am currently looking at AVO, Whiteline and Cusco. All of them are solid bars but I think the Cusco is 21mm vs the AVO and whiteline being 20mm. Make sure whatever you do, you buy the AVO sway bar mount kit otherwise you will break the sway bar mounts off the car.

Rear sway bars are different for the wagons. As far as I know, you will have to go after market to find a upgraded rear sway bar to go along with this bar. I am currently looking at AVO, Whiteline and Cusco. All of them are solid bars but I think the Cusco is 21mm vs the AVO and whiteline being 20mm. Make sure whatever you do, you buy the AVO sway bar mount kit otherwise you will break the sway bar mounts off the car.

Thanks for confirming. My choice was was the Whiteline sway bar, and I'll make note of the AVO sway bar mount kit. I am guessing Whiteline doesn't offer one? They make sway bar braces/mounts that reinforces to the rear LCAs.

My next choice would be a STi sway bar, but its a wagon, so no luck. Unless of a hatch?

I think the sti sway bar is hollow so it's not as rigid and strong as the solid bars like whiteline, avo and cusco. The tribeca front bar is hollow too, so even tho it's 25mm it will perform like a 22 or 23mm solid bar. But for the price, you can't beat it.

AVO is the only sway bar mount kit I've seen for the legacy and outback wagons.

The whiteline braces you speak of I think are for the Impreza wrx/sti platform.

I think the sti sway bar is hollow so it's not as rigid and strong as the solid bars like whiteline, avo and cusco. The tribeca front bar is hollow too, so even tho it's 25mm it will perform like a 22 or 23mm solid bar. But for the price, you can't beat it.

AVO is the only sway bar mount kit I've seen for the legacy and outback wagons.

The whiteline braces you speak of I think are for the Impreza wrx/sti platform.

Noted! Thanks :)

The AVO rear is a 21mm, the front a 23mm. I have them both. Also the AVO brackets are NOT the only ones out there. CKE SSP (Me) I make HD and light duty in both steel and aluminum. I developed these because I also had the AVO reinforcement brackets and I don't like they way they affect straight line handling. I think mine solution is better, but most folks like to drink the orange kool-aid.

BQNP4bZ.jpg

The above is my light duty aluminum with the WL 20mm (its powdercoated) AND my 20mm rear bushing and strap upgrade kit.

Can someone put a caliper on the Tribeca bar? I have a XRT tuning buddy who had a 3.0 Leggy sedan. He had Raptor headers and a custom exhaust. However, back then, he was saying it was a 26mm bar. I have done all the research I can on the dealer parts websites and I cannot find out for sure. Usually it will say on the part number pic, either the bar or the bushing. However nothing. Subaru usuall has a 23, on the 24mm bushing. A 25 on the 26mm, a 20 on the 21mm. They decrease the bushing ID 1mm under the bar diameter. All of the CKE SSP bushing are direct copies of the OEM.(complete with part number) The Tribeca bushing has a 235 on it the best I can view. That to me would mean 23.5 ... maybe.

Either way the Tribeca bushing will not seat on the Gen4 subframe, it's a different shape. The Tribeca straps are outrageous, $40 each I think.

If someone can put a caliper on a real life bar. I can make a bushing for it. And the Ascent or Gen5 Leggy front strap will work. The Gen5 requires some modification. The Ascent strap bolts right up. It would be similar to this on my front bar. This is the Gen5, and I am thinking the bushing from the 3.6R Leggy (2012-2014, 26mm bar is going to be the ticket.

PnQ2sLj.jpg

Edited by traildogck
CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

I think the sti sway bar is hollow so it's not as rigid and strong as the solid bars like whiteline, avo and cusco. The tribeca front bar is hollow too, so even tho it's 25mm it will perform like a 22 or 23mm solid bar.

I do not necessarily agree with this. Do you have any supporting data?

I am not trying to be a "richard", but tubular steel pipe stock is stronger (resisting bending and twisting) than the same size solid stock. You never see custom (4) link suspensions made out of solid stock, NEVER. It's always a tube

This is the FSB setup.

I have had Energy Suspensions sway bar brackets and bushing on other cars. All I can say is, come over to the dark side of real Subaru custom bushing. Those in the link are not garbage, but they are nothing special and were not very durable for my past applications when I used them.