LegacyGT.com

2010 legacy spoiler brake light replacement

Not a Legacy, but on my old SG Forester spoiler I bought one of those universal LED strips for motorcycles and put in in place of the original LED board.

Then my car stereo installer happened to have a few other spoiler brake lights with busted LEDs, he cannibalized a few and was able to rebuild the original board. So ended up with a spare.

Mine was not an OE spoiler so no parts available, my other option was to buy a new one. For OE spoilers IIRC you can get just the lamp assembly.

Edited by Scubaboo
More info added

Keep in mind, there IS two different versions of the spoiler brakelight: a red one and a clear one. I could not tell you what the different part numbers are or what different years/models they came on, just keep that in mind.

Ugh. Bad memories. Dealer tried to replace my spoiler brake light under the 3/36 B2B warranty. Turns out when the spoiler was “port installed” they drilled the clip holes too big. So they GLUED the spoiler on. lol. Had no idea until the dealer tried to remove the spoiler. Ended up getting a new trunk lid under warranty.

Ugh. Bad memories. Dealer tried to replace my spoiler brake light under the 3/36 B2B warranty. Turns out when the spoiler was “port installed” they drilled the clip holes too big. So they GLUED the spoiler on. lol. Had no idea until the dealer tried to remove the spoiler. Ended up getting a new trunk lid under warranty.

Mine's glued on too. I noticed it when polishing it it wasn't fully sticking down.

Also, thanks to Humble to point out that some of my LED spoiler lights aren't working sometimes. Now it's constantly in my head that they need fixed :lol:

Seriously considering trunk lid swap and doing a low profile spoiler.

• 1 month later...
I was trying to find a trunk lid with out a wing... doesn’t seem like anyone local to me was interested... ordered a light from the dealer. Got it in today. Going to change it out on Friday. Hoping mine isn’t glued also....

I currently have my spoiler off, my replacement brake light will be here tomorrow. Did you find a remedy to the little plastic clips that bust, or were yours all reusable? I busted some and cannot find replacements ANYWHERE, I've tried auto parts stores, body shops, Fastenal, and the dealer.

The Subaru dealer told me it should be included in a misc replacement clip set they sell, the kit is ~$15 and he said he didn't know how many it would include of that specific style but probably not enough.

I've looked online but can't find anything without a part number, and the dealer was unable to find it for me. Thinking I'm just going to have to rig something up.

the fastest/cheapest way to repair that is to (assuming you can (solder/desolder)

remove LED board

de-solder LEDs

re-solder new LEDs

reinstall

LEDs are literally a dime a dozen

general idea here

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

• 3 months later...

Practicing thread necromancy here but had a question:

So are all spoilers glued on? I'm a bit confused by this; I would like to replace the LED strip but not if it means screwing up the trunk lid obviously. How would I find out if mine is glued on? :)

Also - unclear about the clips; did anyone figure out the source for the clips?

Practicing thread necromancy here but had a question:

So are all spoilers glued on? I'm a bit confused by this; I would like to replace the LED strip but not if it means screwing up the trunk lid obviously. How would I find out if mine is glued on? :)

Also - unclear about the clips; did anyone figure out the source for the clips?

I would say MOST spoilers are not glued.

As far as the clips, I had no luck at all, so what I did is use 3M adhesive tape and the 4 bolts. I basically put the tape all around the edges and where the clips used to be, and that with the bolts, it's more secure than it ever was, no worries at all.

Also, the LED strip from the dealer was right around $105. Definitely do a lot of searching online, they can be relatively difficult to find them in stock, but you could probably get one cheaper online than the dealer. Good luck!!!