LegacyGT.com

ISO LGT Help and questions

LGT Help and questions

I have been a silent member of these forums/group for several years. I joined to search for LGT. I started searching for a LGT or OBXT about 4 years ago. Within the past few years I decided I prefer a spec B. then I narrowed that down to a 2008 or 2009.

I understand this is going to be a rare vehicle to find, However I have had the opportunity to test drive 3 different spec B. Unfortunately, I have never been able to make a deal. I always offer less than what I think a used car is worth, and the owners have been firm on the price.(like they are selling a unicorn)

I have seen a wide range of problems on the vehicles, including: oil leaks, damaged rims, damaged seats, torn seats, inoperable gauges, uneven acceleration, exterior scratches, missing plastic panels under the engine, and holes in the nav screen. zero service records, and missing services especially the 105k service

My questions, what are these cars actually worth? I have seen a range of prices, which are generally %150 to %200 more than KBB? What should I accept and fix, and what should I steer clear of?

I called several (more than 6) dealers to find out exactly what is included in the 105k service and received a wide range of answers and prices from $1000 to $5500, with a simple oil change and timing belt, to water pump, pulleys, tensioners, and turbo replacement. What should I be looking for? What is necessary? Which of these services are dealers over selling to steal my hard earned money?

Thanks For your assistance,

Slate

Welcome to the forum.

The cars are worth what a buyer will pay. Most with 130k miles are probably worth about $4500, but they will be asking $10k+.

At 105k you need at least:oil, filter, timing belt, tensioner, idler pulleys, water pump, t-stat, coolant. Could be more. Could always be more.

Stay away from stealerships for service. Most any local repair shop will do the job cheaper.

A good Spec B should bring $10,000. They are hard to find. I'm sure you seen the sticky up top about production numbers.

I suggest you watch the for sale thread here they pop up every now and then.

My Spec B has 86,000 miles. It had the 105,000 mile service this past Spring at 10 y/o. To bad they didn't make more of them, the car is great to drive. It's mainly our Saturday night car, or I drive it when my 05 wagon is down for service.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A good Spec B should bring $10,000. They are hard to find. I'm sure you seen the sticky up top about production numbers.

2008 - 653

380 were DGM

271 were QSM

I don't have any other numbers to put these in perspective. Maybe Lgt total numbers??

So my question. Again if I subtract for all the cons on a vehicle I am looking at I should be around $10k once I fix all the issues??

Any signs that should make me steer clear of a lot spec b?

Just the general GT issues. if it has a "new turbo" ask why and if all the other parts were replaced that a blown turbo effects.

You'll want to make sure the two lower engine to chassis grounds are good, I made new ones a few years back.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Keep in mind 2008 was a international stop sale. Subaru had engines failing so fast they refused to sell the cars off the lots anymore. They fd up at the factory, did not complete final machining and assumed the vegtable oil on the crank would be enough lube for the engine to self machine. LOL.

If you buy a used turbo Subaru with 100k miles on the clock and you want it to run right... have a discretionary budget of 10-12k for the repairs you will most likely need.

The cars are not reliable making power. Its just easy to make power.

I paid 11K for mine almost 3 years ago and then put another 15k into it..... Ask Mike (Infamous) he knows my car intimately. I don't regret it one bit, but I do understand is not for everyone.

If you buy a used turbo Subaru with 100k miles on the clock and you want it to run right... have a discretionary budget of 10-12k for the repairs you will most likely need.

I like the car, but I am looking for something semi reliable as it will be a family car.(hopefully more reliable than my 4Runner)

I have several family members that have OBXT Forester XT, WRX.... etc, ect. and they rarely have issues with their vehicles.

I would like something quick and like these spec b, I just spend a long time researching before I buy, and asking many, many questions.

What I currently own are

98 Tacoma,

91 MR2 (2gr v6 swap)My mr2 is not much of a family car.

87 4runner(currently the 22re)

75 CB550 Cafe bike

and my wifes vehicles

2015 Impreza

her two motorcycles.

Nothing is as reliable as a 22re. LOL. Your expectation is unreasonable no matter what current car you are looking at. Whats the avg life span of a 22re, 300k miles? All of mine went that far with ZERO issues.

Mine has 274xxx, the original blew up about 5k ago. I check everything every few days, because it is an older vehicle. when it happened, i got off the freeway and it died and then white smoke everywhere. it would start but run really really really ruff. when the engine was pulled a hole was discovered in the crank from one of the coolant lines, the head was blown, and the crank slipped. the mechanic that was doing the swap, told me he has never seen an engine destroyed so bad, in so many different ways. Who know what happened,

Fortunately or Unfortunately I have the SR5 fully loaded and the temp gauge is known not to work.

My MR2 I put on over 100k now its at 271xxx and all I did was replace the fluids.

I get the Spec B will not be that easy, I understand I will have to replace turbos and eventually Head gaskets and more, and more ect....

Like I said I have found a few within a 600 mile radius and others near where family live. But my goal is to learn exactly what I am getting into at 100k-130k vehicle. And what to look for, signs that the car was abused.

I found one, I want to pull the trigger, but the owner wants $12k but hasn't done the 105 mile service. I am trying to gain resources to negotiate a reasonable price.

I appreciate everyone who has given insight on this thread.

They have all been abused. LOL. I have never owned a Subaru that has gone past 137k miles without needing an engine rebuild. Thats N/A and turbo cars. I have owned a 99 Forester, 02 WRX, 03 Forester, 05 LGT (x3), 08 LGT, 08 SpecB.

105k miles, services not complete and asking $8k over KBB. Knowing you could need $10k+ for maintenance and repairs, I say BUYER BEWARE. If its a project or "toy" then who is to say how you spend your money, but as a reliable family car???

They have all been abused. LOL. I have never owned a Subaru that has gone past 137k miles without needing an engine rebuild. Thats N/A and turbo cars. I have owned a 99 Forester, 02 WRX, 03 Forester, 05 LGT (x3), 08 LGT, 08 SpecB.

105k miles, services not complete and asking $8k over KBB. Knowing you could need $10k+ for maintenance and repairs, I say BUYER BEWARE. If its a project or "toy" then who is to say how you spend your money, but as a reliable family car???

Its sad to see so many people talk negatively about Subarus.

Most of my family own them, and they all have over 140k and none of them have required a rebuild. the list includes almost every model with and without a turbo, starting with my cousins 02 wrx being the oldest. and I know the 02 wrx and the 06 forester xt are driven really really hard.

Some people get lucky. I have seen factory freaks too. I sponsored a driver/car who was the SCCA and NASA Solo Cup Champion in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 and his stage2 05 STi made it to 100k TRACK miles before we lost the engine. He is racing again this weekend as I rebuilt the engine about a year ago now.

But I owned and operated a small Subaru specific shop and I averaged 4 engine rebuilds per month over a 8 year period.

My own 8 Subies all died by 137k.

• 4 months later...

thanks for all the help over the past several months. a few weeks ago I finally purchased a Spec B from a member here.

There are a few maintenance issues I quickly became aware of, some of which the previous owner was aware, and hopefully the others he was not, as I asked many questions regarding condition and maintenance.

Overall I love the Spec B. At this point I am trying to restrain myself from purchasing any mods other than those that would solve a maintenance issue, as I need to finish my MR2 build and a few projects on my 87 4runner.

Thanks to all those who responded with input.

Archived