LegacyGT.com

Official dual HVAC Double Din (JDM) Kit thread V2

dwolson2

On 7/8/2023 at 4:38 PM, david82g said:

Tysparks81, Comp and Infosecdad thanks for the answers.

This is the original radio, I think it is from a single zone

If i buy the dual zone unit should it work?

Thx

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-08 at 2.30.55 PM (1).jpeg

This is a single zone but that isn't JDM radio, looks more EDM to me based on the fact that the hazard is on the right side of the radio, where as all JDM Hazards are on the Left side.  Unless it is just an image from google of a similar radio to yours.   If this is your exact radio, I would tend to agree with @stridermc you will probably need the i88 harness or need to repin your plug to get it to work.

That being said there are different types of single zone controls I'm pretty sure you have the wrong one.

The link below should be to what you are looking for.  The issue is one is an Automatic climate control and the other is a Manual climate control.  They are not interchangeable, even though they are both single zone climate controls, but relates to the type of HVAC blower that is in your car.  Which is why you get power but nothing is working.

https://avoturbo.com/subaru-oem-spec-single-zone-silver-av-panel/

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

• 4 weeks later...

What headunits are people using now, in the year 2023? I'm looking to make this upgrade, and get something with wireless apple carplay. I'm looking at this Boss unit, because I really don't need XM/Satellite radio support. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BE920WP/Boss-Audio-BE920WCPA.html 

But I'm curious what others are doing. 

I have a Boss BV755 something or other with my JDM DD, and it’s been pretty damn solid for a couple years now. I didn’t want anything fancy, but the basic bells and whistles, which it has. The volume button sticks and isn’t accurate, but I lubed it and use the remote most of the time. I’m pretty sure it was around $150 with sales and coupons too. The thing works great for being so cheap. I’ll upgrade when/if it ever stops working. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, tehspud said:

What headunits are people using now, in the year 2023? I'm looking to make this upgrade, and get something with wireless apple carplay. I'm looking at this Boss unit, because I really don't need XM/Satellite radio support. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BE920WP/Boss-Audio-BE920WCPA.html 

But I'm curious what others are doing. 

In my install I did a Sony XAV-AX3200.  It's one of the cheapest Sony head units, but Android Auto works great.  Fast, responsive, good sound.  I also added a backup camera but I ran that to the OEM nav screen using the composite/4-pin adapter thing.  That way the reverse isn't tied to the stereo display.  The black of the DD JDM kit doesn't match the rest of the console (stereo was silver), but I don't even notice anymore.  Almost forgot to mention it.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I need some help.  I have the JDM DD and got a harness from Tight fit.  I have it wired up to a kenwood DD.  The back lighting is not working on the HVAC,  when the headlight are off the display is dim, and when the headlight are on the screen is almost blank it is so dim.  

All of the functions work correctly for the HVAC.  

There is a wire on the OEM side of the harness for the illimitation - and  +.

Car is a USDM 2007 Legacy GT sedan 5 speed

2 hours ago, legacybg9 said:

I need some help.  I have the JDM DD and got a harness from Tight fit.  I have it wired up to a kenwood DD.  The back lighting is not working on the HVAC,  when the headlight are off the display is dim, and when the headlight are on the screen is almost blank it is so dim.  

All of the functions work correctly for the HVAC.  

There is a wire on the OEM side of the harness for the illimitation - and  +.

Car is a USDM 2007 Legacy GT sedan 5 speed

I had a similar, but slightly different, issue when I did mine.  On mine the display wouldn't light up and the fan would full blast.  Turns out, one of the plugs wasn't pushed in all the way.  So, the only help I feel qualified to give right how is, "check the plugs and make sure...", and have you messed with the instrument backlight knob to see how that affects it?

Mine is a little dimmer than the original unit, but not drastically so.

The JDM displays are all more dim from my own experience and everything I've seen online

Dumb question but have you tried messing with the dimmer button with the headlights on?

EDIT: Just realized yours is a 2007 so that layout is going to be different, but there should a button there somewhere

PXL_20230815_155334409.thumb.jpg.a5184924d309f74e639fd69311ac0b98.png

Edited by stridermc

Regarding the dimmer display on the JDM units, I can confirm the same.  Definitely not as bright as my original factory equipment.

Also, my JDM HVAC panel (Dual Zone AV Panel Set H6217AG911) had its red LED backlighting fail at 11.5 months, about 2 weeks before the warranty expired.  It started flickering randomly and then came on less and less.  I don't think it is a loose wire as bumps or knocking on the panel didn't cause the lights to go on or off.  Seems like an internal failure.  I wasn't going to remove it and then send it back to Japan at my expense.  So I am living with that failure, but it stinks.  Otherwise I am very happy with my upgrade 20 months later.  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I want to buy the JDM the JDM dual zone 2DIM adapter, buy I have a question. My car has the HVAC control unit in Celsius and I all images I have seen show degrees in Fahrenheit. The unit is customizable to use Celsius/Fahrenheit? Or it will detect automatically the current unit?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Esnaque said:

Hi! I want to buy the JDM the JDM dual zone 2DIM adapter, buy I have a question. My car has the HVAC control unit in Celsius and I all images I have seen show degrees in Fahrenheit. The unit is customizable to use Celsius/Fahrenheit? Or it will detect automatically the current unit?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it will show temperature relative to what your car currently shows.  I have a USDM car up here and my display was in Celsius, added the JDM double din and it is still in Celsius.  Didn't have to change any setting it just displayed everything correctly.

• Like 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

18 minutes ago, tysparks81 said:

I'm pretty sure it will show temperature relative to what your car currently shows.  I have a USDM car up here and my display was in Celsius, added the JDM double din and it is still in Celsius.  Didn't have to change any setting it just displayed everything correctly.

Thanks!
So now I'm going to search for mantain steering wheel controls on a new 2DIN radio :D

Short answer yes, straightforward as long as you're keeping the H/K amp and just installing a new head unit. The 08/09 uses the same old 14 pin connector as previous years. Long answer, looks more complicated if not

Edited by stridermc
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...