LegacyGT.com

Sti Tranny Mount

MTR_legacygt

it's to keep the tranny shifting around during hard driving. I wouldn't say it makes the shifts better, it's just to keep the car from breaking the stock rubber mounts from breaking.. a systom of a gear popping out by itself and such is either broken engine or/and tranny mounts.. it's typically used to ensure a better reliable car when the car is driven hard.
Keefe

I have it on my LGT and didn't notice any difference when driving normally... However when spirited driving it seems to help shiftng a little bit, of it might be just psychological anyway...

It's not an expensive mod, so it won't hurt. Do you have a short throw shifter?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I do notice that the shifter lever move around a lot less when on and off the gas. Also, I prefer the more solid feel of the transmission in the solid mount as opposed to the factory setup. Wait till you see that thing, you'll be amazed that it does anything at all.

Keep in mind that it will send a little more NVH into your car.

On that note, has anyone noticed a low-frequency resonance at 40, 50, and 60 MPH after installing it? Very little extra NVH in-between these speeds, and I like not having a bouncy drivetrain anymore, but...sometimes it sounds like I'm driving on four flat tires.

i have the cobb bushing, i dont have short shifter yet, im doing one thing at a time.. but i did get gears poped out couple time due to over powershifting.. so maybe this will help. (i like the original shifter feel, but i will get short shifter later on)

On that note, has anyone noticed a low-frequency resonance at 40, 50, and 60 MPH after installing it? Very little extra NVH in-between these speeds, and I like not having a bouncy drivetrain anymore, but...sometimes it sounds like I'm driving on four flat tires.

Quite the opposite, most of the NVH I notice is <30mph by the time I get up to 50+ the rest of the road noise overcomes it.

I have it and i'm split on it, I don't really drive extremely hard and I'm not too keep on more nvh but I do like a solid feel to the car (in general).

Personally I think this piece should come with some sort of rubber gasket and that should take care of most of my grievances with it. The oem tranny mount is more rubber than anything

-.-

Quite the opposite, most of the NVH I notice is <30mph by the time I get up to 50+ the rest of the road noise overcomes it.

I guess it's just my bad luck then. I should have known to retreat after busting myself in the mouth with a socket wrench while swapping out the old one.:icon_razz

(Who knew there was a smilie with a bloody fat lip?)

• 2 months later...
Well, I just got back from a test drive after installing the STi transmission mount. For me, there was a noticeable increase in cabin noise from it. Backing out my driveway reverse gear really whines. When you start to move forward there is more gear and engine noise it the cabin, especially above 4000 rpm. If you are just cruising, it is not as bad. I think I will need some more time to see if I like it.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

Love it, I def could feel a diff once it was installed. Shit is a lil more accurate with the STi mount......

Bushings,STS,tranny mount, some tranny fluid......the car shifts like a diff ride. People that have drive'n mine are amazed at the diff...

After driving around today, I think it is defiantly a worthwhile mod. The added noise is not too bad, especially with the radio playing. I installed the cobb shifter bushings front and rear and there is a lot less notchiness in the shifter. Granted, it is still a little notchy, but it I don't have to force it in. The shifter takes a lot less effort to get into gear.

335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

• 2 months later...

I installed this over the weekend. The NVH experienced is not very noticable under 3,500 RPMs. The sound produced is similar to an exhaust system I would say. Not too bad. I would recommend this ugprade to those that shifts and drives hard.

Pros:

- Easier to rev match when downshifting

- Better feel when agressivly shifting, no more slop.

Cons:

- Noticeable increase in NVH in the cabin at RPMs over 3,500

• 4 months later...

I installed the STi tranny mount this evening, probably one of the easiest installs there is. Awkward, yes, working with the car on ramps and with the jack supporting the transmission, difficult, no.

The results are immediately noticeable, even on the short test run I did on the service road. Shifting is much cleaner and seems to slot in the gate with more precision.

Definately worth the C$50 I paid :icon_mrgr

I installed this over the weekend. The NVH experienced is not very noticable under 3,500 RPMs. The sound produced is similar to an exhaust system I would say. Not too bad. I would recommend this ugprade to those that shifts and drives hard.

Pros:

- Easier to rev match when downshifting

- Better feel when agressivly shifting, no more slop.

Cons:

- Noticeable increase in NVH in the cabin at RPMs over 3,500

This past weekend, I installed specB pink springs, and the STi pitch & trans mounts. I was expecting lots of additional NVH, but on my car, it ain't so. There are no drawbacks to either of these mounts and I'm experiencing zero significant NVH after the installation of the mounts. The car feels much the same as before, but now there's a lot less slop in the drivetrain.

It is possible that someone else may notice a bit of extra NVH, but I'm coming from a VW R32 with a (more or less) solid dogbone mount with poly bushings. The added vibes from that mount were quite noticeable. In comparison, the STi mounts on my specB are quite comfortable.

• 5 months later...

Archived