LegacyGT.com

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD ... in hopes of limited mods

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when it breaks it's going to be sudden and spectacular!

;)

I used to think that way until I read the rating for my sti transmission CF driveshaft.

the one for the q50 has been tested to 6800 ft lbs of torque and good for 1000+hp.

it will be rather uneventful.

i know stresses can happen in different ways that may weaken the structure. The image of a carbon fiber bike breaking in a downhill race comes to mind. Not worried about that happening to the driveshaft.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Less rotating mass = free up horsepower to the wheels

it will also twist more.

STORE

Save time and search for your what you need here....

Home / INFINITI / Drivetrain / INFINITI Q60+Q50 Red Alpha Carbon Fiber & Aluminum AWD Driveshafts by DriveShaft Shop

by Fmeaddons

🔍

infiniti q50 q60 mods upgrade kitinfiniti q60 driveshaft upgrade mods kitinfiniti q60 q50 driveshaft mod upgrade kitinfiniti Q60 Q50 mods upgrade kitstock q60 driveshaftQ60 Q50 infiniti mods upgrade kitinfiniti Q60 Q50 driveshaft upgrade mods kit

INFINITI Q60+Q50 Red Alpha Carbon Fiber & Aluminum AWD Driveshafts By DriveShaft Shop

$944.99 – $1,522.49

Starting at $84/month with Affirm. Learn more

We have partnered with the industry leader in driveshafts to give Alpha customers the best in getting the pavement shredding power of their VR30 3.0L Twin Turbo to the ground.

Driveshaft

Add to cart

Share, Tweet, Pin or Email a friend!

Email

SKU: ALP.28.03.0001-X Category: Drivetrain

Description

Additional information

Reviews (0)

DESCRIPTION

infiniti Q60 Q50 driveshaft upgrade mods kit

AMS Performance is excited to release the first in the line of INFINITI Q60 and Q50 Red Alpha products. Introducing the INFINITI Q60 + Q50 Red Alpha Driveshafts by DriveShaft Shop. We have partnered with the industry leader in driveshafts to give Alpha customers the best in getting the pavement shredding power of their VR30 3.0L Twin Turbo to the ground. This driveshaft helped us get to the world record quarter mile run in our shop Q60 Red Alpha with a 1.48 second 60′ time.

The Strength of Alpha

The Aluminum one piece INFINITI Q60 + Q50 Red Alpha Driveshaft is made from 3.5″ x .125″ wall 6061-T6 Aluminum and is rated to 3464 ft lbs of torque and spun at over 9000 RPM. Alpha’s superior one piece design eliminates the power robbing sloppy center knuckle which is a weak point in the stock system. Our one piece aluminum shafts are manufactured using a pulse welding technique as opposed to mig welding. The pulse type weld creates a lot less heat resulting in a stronger shaft. The CV used in the Alpha shaft is a purpose built high speed CV from GKN in Germany. The spline that the CV mounts to is made from 300m and is capable of transferring 6800 ft lbs of torque without failure.

The INFINITI Q60 Red Alpha one piece carbon driveshaft version is manufactured using a new carbon fiber weave that was tested to 6800 lbs of torque! The main difference between the carbon and aluminum driveshaft is that the 3.25″ diameter carbon fiber tube is more torsional than aluminum, therefore it can twist more under load resulting in a smoother transfer of power at launch or between shifts. Aluminum is already much more torsional than steel, (about 15° under load vs about 5° for steel) but carbon fiber can go upwards of 30° to 35°. Carbon fiber is also typically quieter and there is typically a 2-3lb difference in weight which will help acceleration as well. It will be a significant upgrade over the stock 2-piece driveshaft. The one piece drive shafts will make more noise than their stock two piece counterparts

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Wow it's only $1,500, cheap!

I suppose if you're drag racing you'd want that kind of strength.

:lol: Love it...are you trying to troll me? ROTFL

I had my car in service to install Lo Jack. Since I had a Q50 3.0t RWD, I did a quick video of that and another of my car for comparison.

i love the work that went into comparing several intakes to the factory intake.

dont miss minute 7:30 for some insight.

some interesting information... wife was not pleased.

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/infinitiparts/?siteid=15&action=motorSportsLanding&catalogid=2371

sold and backed by infiniti

a custom one off may cost you a small fortune but you would be hard pressed to find one that expensive.

none are made for your car, but if you want one, maybe these guys can do it.

http://www.monstertransmission.com/Carbon-Fiber-Driveshaft-Custom-Built_p_6128.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiuiXxZSf3QIVjfhkCh2G9Qc8EAMYAiAAEgKIDfD_BwE#.W41U2ullCeM

I will stick with the assessment from youtube where the factory intake made more power than 4 other intakes on an otherwise "stock" car.

Just an Ecutek tune may...just may come in time. Still can't justify another 30whp at 5250rpm and same power at 6000rpm and above.

There is plenty of power down low.

I will stick with the assessment from youtube where the factory intake made more power than 4 other intakes on an otherwise "stock" car.

Just an Ecutek tune may...just may come in time. Still can't justify another 30whp at 5250rpm and same power at 6000rpm and above.

There is plenty of power down low.

tunes get way more power than that.

Im looking on facebook right on for R/T tuning at a q50 red sport with AMS iDP, Intake and cat back and its getting 427/462 at 17psi. thats 40/130 increase on only 17 psi (3 above factory)...the cars got huge potential

some interesting information... wife was not pleased.

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/infinitiparts/?siteid=15&action=motorSportsLanding&catalogid=2371

sold and backed by infiniti

So uhm...this is good, and there will be more..wait for the tune from AMS that supports all that stuff..that'll get you roughly 500/500 at the wheels.

Putting those on without a tune is the equivalent of adding raptors to your h6 and still running an 87 stock map

Edited by Golferdude1087

• 2 weeks later...

2018 Nismo Z wheels added.

Factory wheel specs: 19x9 +47 ~ 30#

Nismo Z wheel specs: 19x9.5 +40 ~ 20#

Running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 265/35/19 on 9" wheel was not great. grip was only slightly better than factory run-flat 245/40/19.

With the added 1/2", the tire has a very slight stretch. Response is improved and there is more grip.

A few photo comparisons.

103148448_DSC_0069-Copy.thumb.JPG.5e6df0a33eca3659054e4984397b5000.JPG

877057647_DSC_0425-Copy.thumb.JPG.4b3f3e307e5fa9cd5f4b5918f9462b0c.JPG

front.thumb.JPG.19a1b683dfa880e2c158e73ea935fdae.JPG

rear.thumb.JPG.3176200260c49e1e8cdbc8163e2184e5.JPG

Before and After videos:

almost a 50# drop in rotatiinal mass makes a noticeable difference (wheels and tires)

the 2 piece rotors will not be very noticeable, but another 30# savings.

and, yours truly is on a diet as well.

i still cant get over how good the nismo wheels look on the red sport

new_wheels.thumb.JPG.6246f472558b3940a2c4fe16f31af579.JPG

If I didn't have a wedding to pay for, I'd be seriously shopping a 3.0t Sport. I don't have the pocket for the RS but damn, I can want one.

I'll probably end up in a 2013 M-Sport 535xdrive in the next week or so, which means I'll have to live my Q50 life vicariously through you.

Get a tune, skinnies, slicks, and a couple bolt ons and run a 10.2 1/4 like AMS. Bolt ons don't count as mods, right?

I already added a few bolt ons... or I should say snap ons.

Nissan graphite color center caps to finish the look.

I got pricing from Z1 motorsports for GTR Nismo seats and it was obscene.

I managed to remove 7# of sprung weight from the driver. 197 3 weeks ago. 190 today.

More to come from car and driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Put it on the same dyno my wrx was on.

357whp/362wtq IIRC.

Car is rated 400hp and 350 tq. That should be about 415 hp at the crank and not sure how much torque.

The motor is definitely underrated.