LegacyGT.com

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD ... in hopes of limited mods

Short story:

Bought a Legacy 2.5i 6mt Nov 2012.

Not happy with power, so I traded for a Legacy 3.6R 2013.

Motor gave out, and bought a 2015 WRX.

Over-modified the car and made it undriveable, so I bought a Q50 Red Sport AWD.

Current mods:

* RSR Coilovers with mild drop...camber is ~ -2.2 all around.

* Nismo Z 2015+ wheels 19x9.5 +45 forged ~20#...10# loss per wheel

* RE71R 275/35/19...a few pounds lighter than the 245/40/19 runflats

* CF driveshaft

* AMS heat exchanger

* AMS coolant expansion tank

* Z1 rear LSD

* SPC front and rear adjustable control arms

* Z1 2 piece F/R rotors

On order or to be installed:

* FI lower downpipes 2.5" plug and play (keeping factory exhaust and primary cats)

* Ecutek with Bluetooth

* Custom tune

Future plans

* Rear diff bushing (installer says they go back quickly in the Z)

* KW V3 coilovers (not yet released but my new installer may be of help)

* F/R anti-sway bars (currently Stillen offers only a rear...again, my new installer may be of help)

DSC_0463.thumb.JPG.46b643b031825e0f7a1eaeaa86ffe574.JPG

Edited by fredrik94087

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short story:

Current mods:

* RSR Coilovers with mild drop...camber is not adjustable but ~ -1.7 all around and not too bad.

On order:

* Wheels

* Suspension parts for camber adjustment

Patience, pictures will come in time.

Orangevirus tune

AMS intake

AMS Heat exchanger...

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Still own the WRX?

sold... lesson learned

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Short story:

Current mods:

* RSR Coilovers with mild drop...camber is not adjustable but ~ -1.7 all around and not too bad.

On order:

* Wheels

How do you find the coilovers? Do you ever change the suspension settings (i.e. the stock adjustable suspension), or leave it in one setting all the time?

Still trying to decide between Stinger and Q50, and wondering if the adjustable suspension is worth it and/or I want/need RSRs afterwards anyway.

If I don't need the adjustable suspension / paddle shifters, then just buy a Q50 Premium / Luxe or whatever AWD, add RSR, tune + aftermarket brakes..

What wheels / planned tire size(s) are you getting? I've seen some RWDs with 305 or even 325 in the back - would LOVE to find a way to do something like that with the AWD..

i was regularly putting the car into my personal setting which was sport suspension setting and a slightly tighter steering wheel.

adding the rsr made the suspension just a little stiffer than sport mode and pretty much unnoticeable to the wife. it is milder than what i was expecting.

oddly, this suspension change either made the steering feel just a hair stiffer, or it may all be in my mind.

needless to say, i am very happy with the result.

I have volk g27 on order. 19x9.5 +45. they will get 265/95 vs factory 245/40.

widest i may try is a 275. there isnt a lot of wiggle room. the rear wants more offset and it becomes difficult to have a square setup beyond a 275 without fender mods... and i am not planning on being stupid with this car.

i am running the 265 on factory 9", it is doable but the tire i am running has a little slop. 9.5" should be better. i opted for michelin pilot sport 4. i wanted better treadwear.

yes, you could get a silver sport and hop it up. I like that I dont have to mess with the tune or mod it for power.

I skipped laguna seca today. I was driving the car yesterday to get a better feel and I couldnt see myself tossing it through corners. it just isnt a sports car. it is sporty sedan. it is great. it has a lot of power, great brakes and handles decent. it is not meant for track use the way I would want to drive it.

had i gone to the track, i may not have picked up a nail in my brand new tire. fortunately, it did not leak when i pulled it out. we shall see how it looks in the morning.

it is a tough choice between stinger and q50 knowing the kia costs less. i bought my 2018 with 7,000 miles for $45 before tax and license. it was driven by an infiniti executive or as they called it, a brass hat. i got lucky.

Thanks Fred. I keep going back and forth between Stinger and Q50. I do still have track aspirations at some point, but may just use the LGT for that.. It still runs, so I'm keeping it - I'd get like $2k from a trade-in. Although, I guess I might get as much as $5-7k from a private sale, for someone who knows what I have and wants that.

Also looking at a couple of used Red Sports around here.

I assume you meant 265/35, not 265/95? That'd be SOME tire :-)

Imagine my surprise seeing your thread title today. I bought an AWD Q50 Red Sport back in April. I had sold my LGT back in October of 2016 and had been driving my wife's Escape since then as we found ourselves with an extra car.

Are you on infinifiq50.org?

It is still ugly.

not on infinitiq50 forum... site has issues and zero security.

after my work computer started rebooting a handful of times on its own... even with our crack firewall, i gave up.

Hmm. I've been following / reading up on q50 from infinitiq50.org, no issues. Then again, I'm not registered, and use Linux so maybe that's the difference? On there, saw that Z1 just released an r190 LSD diff for both RWD and AWD..

Several active facebook groups as well.

maybe it was coincidence, but it was the only nee site i was visiting and the reboot happened more than a handful of times.

ever since i stopped visiting the site, i have nit had any issues.

LSD, eh? Do not enable.

i filled up with race gas on Saturday. Run flats were replaced on Friday with pilot sport 4. lighter and a tiny bit shorter. car has a bit more pickup from one or both.

:(

I ordered a limited slip diff

y'know, i was going to follow up post #4 with something along the lines of "riiiiight...", but i thought it might be in poor taste. So much for that theory!

rotfl....

what i was feeling on my drive on saturday may have been due to the lack of an LSD.

Russ at Z1 Motorsports said they had a factory q50 doing some parade laps on a track and it was fine, but when he put the hammer down, the car would squirm a bit. partly from non LSD and partly from electronic power steering.

He suggested it is also a safety factor in the rain... he had me at safety factor

Edited by fredrik94087

• 2 weeks later...

LSD is on its way now that i am back from vacation.

I cancelled my order of 4 rear wheels from RWD q50 RS. those would be 19x9.5 +50 which is ideal for rear and willnjeed a 5mm spacer up front and zero fender issues. But they weigh over 31#

Changed the ordrr to 4 fronts from 2015+ nismo Z. That is a 19x9.5 +40 and weigh in at a svelt sub 20#. If fenders have to be rolled so be it... there I said it...i am willing to do a slight fender roll if necessary but my current measurements show I will just barely clear the fenders.

I will most likely sell the volk g27 set. they look great and are forged, but the nismo Z wheels have a morr factory look.

Short story:

Current mods:

On order:

* Wheels

Why not just get a Golf R and Stage 1 tune it and call it a day?

Just ask me to revise the title of this thread now. ....please.

not just yet, Sir.

I did a little bit of reading about power, jb1/jb4, ecutec tune, etc.

The turbos on this car suffer a similar issue as the wrx. they are small. The car can make maybe 30whp/30wtq more at 5250 and tapers to same as factory tune. All the gains are down below.

We can rule out any power mods on the car for quite a while.

Here is the short term plan:

1. coilovers (done and happy)

2. nismo wheels on order to fit 265/35/19

3. LSD on order.

4. CF driveshaft is a high possibility.

5. Used GTR seats or Nismo Z seats are a low possibility.

Honestly, that will be all. The car is a beast in stock form. The red sport regularly makes 375whp/350wtq. It is underrated. I ran a tank of 100 octane and it honestly felt stronger. I know better than to judge my arse. I suppose the only way to find out is at the dyno, and that day will come... one day for a baseline another day for a follow-up.

TimothyB, I think the golf R is a nice car. I was between the q50 RS and an RS3. I had ruled out the STI RA for the same reason the WRX went bye bye. I know it would have ended up like the WRX eventually. I like the bigger powerful spots sedan.

I think the CF driveshaft is mainly for RWDs during hard launches. Some of the tuners are pushing 400+ hp / 500+ tq on stock turbos. Some others are pushing 800+ whp on modified block / turbos.

It seems quite possible to break into (high) 11s with some exhaust mods + tune, based on several reports. Mind you, the old 5EAT (now 7EAT with some upgrades) quickly starts to become a limiting factor..

Why not just get a Golf R and Stage 1 tune it and call it a day?

Golf R is a bit too small for me.. Almost no luggage room. Maybe S3 instead. But, on 91, stage 1 only goes to 334 hp (a gain of around 35-40 hp), which isn't as nice as the 93 gains (360 hp).

Based on past VW ownership, I'd be scared shitless of breaking the DSG with 5 hp more than stock :lol: