LegacyGT.com

Infiniti Q50 Red Sport AWD ... in hopes of limited mods

Put it on the same dyno my wrx was on.

357whp/362wtq IIRC.

Car is rated 400hp and 350 tq. That should be about 415 hp at the crank and not sure how much torque.

The motor is definitely underrated.

That's also on bad Cali gas...the motor is a monster

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unrelated to a Q50 but with my F10 535i xDrive... "I need to keep this stock so I can save for our wedding... But if I get a water meth kit, it'll keep my intake valves clean and I won't need walnut blasting... But then I need a tune to use it properly, and I might as well get some power... But then I need a down pipe... Shit. I haven't even made the first payment."

We're looking at starting early November for SPC control arms all around.

By then, we should know if we can get a custom set of F/R anti-sway bars for the AWD.

I should be trying on either the RE71R or Sport Cup 2 by end of this week. The PS4 is better with the wider wheel, but still a bit sloppy for my taste.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Just had one of these on our dyno the other day with basic bolt ons and a tune....wow, very impressive.

Dave

graph or it didn't happen...LOL

I'm guessing 420whp+/500wtq+

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

How? I've been reading that the only way to make a ton of power on these engines is not with more boost but more timing and fuel. The stock turbos are almost out of their peak efficiency range as is, especially on the RS models.

That said, I'm still trying to figure out how AMS got their R60RS with bolt ons, stickies and skinnies, and a tune to do 10.2 @ 138 or something silly.

Ethanol

Yes, the turbos run out of breath at the end. Most of the gains are down low. Still, there is some power to be gained at or below 6000rpm.

And here are some comparisons:

1. lower downpipe and exhaust

2. full downpipe and exhaust

3. full downpipe, exhaust, and tune

Q50_FICBE_LDP_vs_Stock_large.thumb.jpg.b8f622ab8eef34e681c391e458758aa1.jpg

Q50CBE_FDP_No_Tune.thumb.jpg.0342bf4e80e429be70c8a2cecbc29ea8.jpg

Q50CBE_FDP_Tune.thumb.jpg.fa58f7ec3574ca6af46420d57ffff0a9.jpg

Edited by fredrik94087

The torque improvement looks great. May make a lot more difference than the top power in reality.

When we get around to tuning, I am going to make sure we don't make a ton of power down low. I want the additional power/tq to start rolling in at ~3500 rpm with tq staying flat until 5250.

The rods in this motor look decent. They look a lot like manley tuff rods, but I don't want to chance it.

I did some light reading about the Q50/60 and it seems the transmissions are the limit in those cars?

I don't have much room to talk - the ZF 8sp auto trans in my BMW is limited to 475tq input. Apparently I'm also limited to 360tq input or something in 3rd and 6th gears too... probably has to do with how the planetaries are and keeping it safe.

I guess this is another reason I should keep it stock. :lol:

there is a levelten transmission upgrade that will handle a claimed 700hp/tq...iirc.

It runs about $5...and you may be a few more into it after R&R.

graph or it didn't happen...LOL

I'm guessing 420whp+/500wtq+

oh our dyno is nowhere near that generous lol, especially at altitude....It did like 348/417tq which is impressive for this dyno.

A 2018 sti only does 220 and a 2018 wrx does 200....a blouch 1.5xt on 91 will be at about 310-330 and on e85 at about 23lbs of boost will hit about 380 on this dyno. I figure I would give those numbers for a reference.

I havent had a stock one of these on but these are amazing numbers for the light mods and tune on this dyno.

Congrats, I kind of want one too lol.

Dave

1520978138_18q50redsport.thumb.jpg.a792fc5b57a24599777b5e212e936c9c.jpg

Edited by cryo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

there is a levelten transmission upgrade that will handle a claimed 700hp/tq...iirc.

It runs about $5...and you may be a few more into it after R&R.

I didn't get that R&R comment until I looked into what... grade... of business they are. F is about all I can see. :lol:

How? I've been reading that the only way to make a ton of power on these engines is not with more boost but more timing and fuel. The stock turbos are almost out of their peak efficiency range as is, especially on the RS models.

That said, I'm still trying to figure out how AMS got their R60RS with bolt ons, stickies and skinnies, and a tune to do 10.2 @ 138 or something silly.

Look at the orange crush writeup on the 16, the motor is so detuned that's why. The turbos run out at 19-20 psi but the timing advance is so minimal that 500whp with bolts is possible at sea level

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

not waiting for sport cup 2. the re71r is here. where the sidewall meets the tread is significantly stiffer. they had a ps4 for comparison.

it is a lot like my old rt615k.

it is 100 cheaper per tire and slightly better tteadwear than sport cup2. i would have preferred an asymetric design to make tire rotation simple, but dont care enough about that.

i will post up drive difference/slop/response. expecting better ultimate grip as it is a lower utqg tire than ps4.

Small update to the tire saga.

I called Americas Tire this morning and the Pilot Sport Cup 2 had arrived. I stopped by to take a look and grab that sidewall. I was reluctant because I did not want it to be as stiff as the RE71R and I didn't want to regret my decision.

I'll put it on a scale of 1 to 10 for stiffness at the corner of sidewall and tread. If Continental DW is a 1 and the RE71R is a 10, the PS4 is a 4 and the Sport Cup 2 is a 6.

Yes, the Sport Cup 2 for all its raves is weaker than the RE71R at that location. IMHO, this does not make for quick lane changes and tire response. I have no doubt the Sport Cup 2 has great ultimate grip. It may (or may not) have more ultimate grip than the RE71R. However, for an AWD with my style of driving, the RE71R will perform better. (I am using the term style very loosely here...my style is not very smooth)

With Michelins, you will need a decent amount of stretch to keep the contact patch from having some slop.

The RE71R runs a tad wider (tread) than the PS4. Still, it has less slop when I rock the car side to side. Go to your front fender and carefully push the car to the side in quick little jolts (don't push in your fender). You will see what I am talking about.

• 1 month later...

Today is Rear LSD, CF driveshaft, smoke test, leakdown, and serpentine belt alignment check.

Some cars have experienced serpentine belt issues due to the AC compressor not being properly aligned. The belt slowly slips off a pulley over time, it may snap, and in one case, sliced a transmission line.

z car garage in san jose.

• 2 weeks later...

Car is in for:

AMS Heat Exchanger

AMS Coolant expansion tank

Z1 Motorsports 2-piece F/R rotors for a total of ~ 30# weight reduction

Steel Braided brake lines

Oil change

Car is in for:

AMS Heat Exchanger

AMS Coolant expansion tank

Z1 Motorsports 2-piece F/R rotors for a total of ~ 30# weight reduction

Steel Braided brake lines

Oil change

Now you just need hpfp / lpfp + E85 tune for ~600 hp :lol:

So when is the Carbon Fiber body coming?

:p

Do you have a link? ;)