LegacyGT.com

The Official Military Thread

BDII

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I saw you posted you did 2 tours of iraq, how was that? When I was in HS (02-06) my german teacher did 2 tours of iraq with the army and he was saying how amazing it is that about 75% of the stuff going on over there is good and the media chooses not to talk about it here.

I have 2 friends right now in the marines over in afghanistan and another over in iraq, he's been to both afghanistan and iraq and he was sayin compared to afghanistan Iraq is a vacation at this point.

I have nothin against the marines tons of respect because they bust their ass more than anyone.

Yeah I saw you posted you did 2 tours of iraq, how was that? When I was in HS (02-06) my german teacher did 2 tours of iraq with the army and he was saying how amazing it is that about 75% of the stuff going on over there is good and the media chooses not to talk about it here.

I have 2 friends right now in the marines over in afghanistan and another over in iraq, he's been to both afghanistan and iraq and he was sayin compared to afghanistan Iraq is a vacation at this point.

I have nothin against the marines tons of respect because they bust their ass more than anyone...just I felt the CG fit me better

I was just bustin your balls. Yeah, I was in Iraq twice. Second time was a joke though. While I was in, I was with 9th Communications BN as a Construction Wireman (Installed switches, copper comm cable, and fiber optics). First deployment I was attached to an Army Infantry unit (311B's) and for some reason they thought that since I was comm I knew how to work a radio...dumbassess... but I had the most fun on that deployment because with my actual MOS, there was no way I would have ever been able to do what we did. I am actually able to say that I fought in the "war" because of that unit. After that said, it was hilarious though watching them, they seriously ran around as if they never had a day of training and I thank god for my combat training. Second time I did my actual job and ran the entire cable structure in Fallujah.

Second time I did my actual job and ran the entire cable structure in Fallujah.

Fallujah was always one of my favorite camps to stop at when I was doing convoys. The A/C was colder and the DFAC was nicer than BIAP. I'm sure the IA is enjoying all your hard work. I was there when we turned it over to them.

Yup...

Hell yeah, I was there to take all the phone systems down while we shut the base down. If you ever had a phone issue while you were there during the last 5 months of that bases existense, I guarantee you delt with me. There were about 12 of us all together to work on it, but I was the one that new the most and actually worked on the line issues.

A side note: If you are about to post about your career it may be a good idea to not be detailed about the present for security reasons. What you did/where you were a few years back may not be that interesting unless you were doing special things.

For the record - I did work with some people from the paranoid department (however not US) a long time ago...

453747.png

• 2 months later...

bump, belated 4th of july for all your past/current members.

update, USCG fell through for me there was too long of a waiting list for boot camp(over a 18 month wait for ship out). Instead I will be joining the Marine Corps and my ship out date for MCRD Parris Island is September 26th, MOS 1141 Electrician @ Camp Lejeune.

Those were the 2 choices I had in mind to begin with, also considered the Navy as well but I wanted to break from that tradition In my family, 2 of my uncles were in the navy and 3 of my cousins are currently in the navy

Those were the 2 choices I had in mind to begin with, also considered the Navy as well but I wanted to break from that tradition In my family, 2 of my uncles were in the navy and 3 of my cousins are currently in the navy

Well you managed to stick with the family tradition, you just don't realize it yet. :lol:

The USMC (my branch of service 0351 Iraq 2004) is under the Department of the Navy even though we Marines are loathe to admit it. :lol::spin:

I know it is I just wanted to one up them :) so I know Twenty Nine Palms sucks, but is Lejeune as bad as you said it was? My recruiters tried to avoid sending me to Twenty Nine Palms at all costs, luckily there was an opening at Lejeune for my MOS

Lejune licks the sweat off of a dead man's balls, and the surrounding towns also suck it hard.

Twenty Nine Palms is a love it or hate it base. Some guys really like it, and others despise it. There were some things I liked about the stumps, like the really good training areas, and remote night skies. Other things I didn't like being in the desert in the summer is freaking HOT. Fortunately I was never there much longer than two or three weeks at a stretch for CAX.

Pendleton is a hilly bastard that if you're a grunt like I was can be a pain in the ass to hump around on, but at least sunny SoCal lurks right off post for your entertainment on liberty or when off duty. If you like SoCal that is.

Quantico is full of officer types and is not my favorite place either. Weather is hot, muggy, and crappy just like Lejune.

Basically the USMC tries their very best to have the least desirable base locations, with the worst living facilities and fewest amenities of any service. They do this to ensure that Marines are always mildly to highly pissed off at all times, making their natural human aversion to killing other humans far reduced or completely absent.

RZA

Are you gaurunteed a MOS or job field? Make sure you see that in your contract or PSOU/REOP (program statement of understanding/reserve enlistment option program) unless your going reserves, then you are gaurunteed a MOS.

Basically the USMC tries their very best to have the least desirable base locations, with the worst living facilities and fewest amenities of any service. They do this to ensure that Marines are always mildly to highly pissed off at all times, making their natural human aversion to killing other humans far reduced or completely absent.

Another aspect is that if you experience challenges of nature during education you will also be prepared for what nature can throw at you. If you always exercise in sunny to mildly cloudy days at temperatures between 10 and 20C you won't cope when it's even raining or even less when it's winter or a hotter than hell desert day.

I wonder how many "gangsta" that can stand a night out in the woods.

453747.png

After 10 years in the military I have thought to myself, if I had to do it over again I would look hard at the coast guard. They have some pretty awesome jobs and locations.

After 9 years in the Coast Guard I wish I would have joined the Air Force.

Archived