LegacyGT.com

2017 coolant issue?

We are 33500 miles in on our 2017, in the past six months or so I had to add coolant to the overflow tank twice. No leaks I can see, but I get a whif of antifreeze when the wife pulls into the garage. Any ideas , I’m sure the stealership is going to say all is good? Warranty will run out in about a month for us.

Checking to see if anyone else has had similar issue?

Thanks!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had that issue on my 2015 2.5. Had it filled at least 5 times (it had 8k mi when I traded it for the 2016 FXT) and always smelled like coolant in and outside of that car. No leaks found and no coolant in the engine oil - we were all baffled.

If you smell coolant and you are losing coolant, there must be a leak. How else would it be getting out? I may be wrong but I think a properly designed cooling system is not supposed to vent coolant except in the case of extreme over-heating.

Yes, it is a closed system and is not meant to evaporate or leak.

If you smell coolant and you are losing coolant, there must be a leak. How else would it be getting out? I may be wrong but I think a properly designed cooling system is not supposed to vent coolant except in the case of extreme over-heating.

We are 33500 miles in on our 2017, in the past six months or so I had to add coolant to the overflow tank twice. No leaks I can see, but I get a whif of antifreeze when the wife pulls into the garage. Any ideas , I’m sure the stealership is going to say all is good? Warranty will run out in about a month for us.

Checking to see if anyone else has had similar issue?

Thanks!

My 3.6r uses a little coolant as well between oil changes.. It's a typical Subaru thing just like eating a Quart of oil between changes.. I think it has to fo with the Flat 4 or 6 Design.. Now if you smell it like some people I vc would definitely get it checked out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

What engine do you have ? The 3.6?

Anyway, needing to add that amount of coolant as often as you do is absolutely a sign of a problem.

There is a leak somewhere, worse case maybe even a slight headgasket leak.

The dealer will need to perform a leak down test and compression test. Youd want this figured out before the warranty ends.

Was there ever resolution on this? My 2018 uses about a liter of coolant every 5000 miles. Dealer shrugs NPF.

A liter is quite a bit, but I would keep an eye on it while you're under warranty. If you want to try something in the mean time, you could get a new radiator cap to see if that helps at all as an inexpensive fix. I would also confirm there is no leaking from the hose connections or crack in the overflow tank. I probably lost 8oz of coolant every 5,000 miles or so when my car was new until I hit 20k miles or so. But the amount it uses has become less with time and I'll only need to put in a splash (~2oz) every 5,000 miles or so. (I don't really even need to, but I like keeping it at the full line when cold).

A small amount of coolant loss however is not something to be overly worried about as the overflow bottle isn't pressure sealed, so you can lose some through there especially on extended trips when the coolant is hot for a long time. I would consider a liter a large amount.

If you aren't content with watching and waiting(not sure hold long you have until your warranty is up), then I would definitely recommend contacting Subaru of America directly by phone. The customer service I received when I needed to call about the dealer not replacing my head unit at warranty was phenomenal. If you are by another dealership, I would try that too, as some dealerships are just better than others in terms of service.

Well after 6 months of owning my 15 OB Limited CPO I get rid of it. Went back to Volvo's this one being a V60 T5 Premier AWD.

I no longer have any coolant loss be it a true leak, evaporation or any other theories. It has a modern sealed reservoir. With the OB I could get a whiff of coolant when it was hot outside. Dealer did a leak test and I had several pounds lost in 10 minutes. Dealer said such a loss was within acceptable limits of loss. Ok --- whatever???

I no longer have any of the list of complaints I had with the OB.

In my life I've owned 5 Subbies and the OB was not anywhere near as satisfying as my other subbies. Was it just my car or is it the new normal?

Here were some of the complaints off the top of my head and not the full list:

Brake fade

Coolant loss

Head unit issues

Lift gate sticking

Driver seat had something hard under the squab

Sticking gas filler door

Driver & passenger side wind noise

CVT (subjective I know)

For a car that had 30,000 miles on it the real list was too long for my taste.

Oh and with the OB when I wanted to listen to a Sirius XM station, it was NOT the station that would play when I re-start the car. Unlike the OB, the V60 is not a nanny State vehicle. The OB felt it was in my best interest, that if I was listening to an XM station when I stopped the car, upon restarting the car the HU would convert to #001 Sirius advertisement station. Subaru has stated it is for the safety of children. Hey Subbie, I'm 66 years old and can decide on my own!

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/subaru-owner-siriusxm-comedy-channels-are-intentionally-censored-108993.html

I'm not anti-subaru but I was not pleased with my own OB Limited.

A liter is quite a bit, but I would keep an eye on it while you're under warranty. If you want to try something in the mean time, you could get a new radiator cap to see if that helps at all as an inexpensive fix. I would also confirm there is no leaking from the hose connections or crack in the overflow tank. I probably lost 8oz of coolant every 5,000 miles or so when my car was new until I hit 20k miles or so. But the amount it uses has become less with time and I'll only need to put in a splash (~2oz) every 5,000 miles or so. (I don't really even need to, but I like keeping it at the full line when cold).

A small amount of coolant loss however is not something to be overly worried about as the overflow bottle isn't pressure sealed, so you can lose some through there especially on extended trips when the coolant is hot for a long time. I would consider a liter a large amount.

If you aren't content with watching and waiting(not sure hold long you have until your warranty is up), then I would definitely recommend contacting Subaru of America directly by phone. The customer service I received when I needed to call about the dealer not replacing my head unit at warranty was phenomenal. If you are by another dealership, I would try that too, as some dealerships are just better than others in terms of service.

Edited by urdrwho

I feel ya. Quality has gone downhill for Subaru. Going to all electric steering has been a nightmare. Besides being dangerous... They know the issues and just look the other way. I feel bad for service departments that have had to feel my wrath. I'm nice at first but I bite hard and enjoy the banter. When I have the time. -Cheers

I feel ya. Quality has gone downhill for Subaru. Going to all electric steering has been a nightmare.

That is only your opinion ... which you have expressed over and over on this forum, without offering any objective evidence. Others disagree; their experiences have been different than yours.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

That is only your opinion ... which you have expressed over and over on this forum, without offering any objective evidence. Others disagree; their experiences have been different than yours.

+1 wtf is he talking about?

//

I’ve just started smelling coolant when parking in the garage. Doesn’t bode well

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

You must have missed your marching orders that contain the mantra -

Subaru is always perfect

Subaru is always perfect

Subaru is always perfect

Keep repeating until you no longer have an opinion. :)

+1 wtf is he talking about?

//

I’ve just started smelling coolant when parking in the garage. Doesn’t bode well

Originally Posted by ammcinnis View Post

Keep repeating until you no longer have an opinion.

If you ever have any objective evidence to present, I'll be glad to consider it.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Well I was responding to another person ...

But you quoted me, too, in that post.

spacer.png

You must have missed your marching orders that contain the mantra -

Subaru is always perfect

Subaru is always perfect

Subaru is always perfect

Keep repeating until you no longer have an opinion. :)

What a strange reply :lol:

Dude bitches without even so much as an anecdote. :spin:

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Dude bitches without even so much as an anecdote.

... Plus, he has never claimed to own a Gen 6 Legacy. He did, however, start a couple of dozen threads on this forum, all bitching about the alleged deficiencies in a Gen 5 Outback (purchased used) that he no longer owns.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

I feel ya. Quality has gone downhill for Subaru.

That's too general of a statement.

Most mechanicals seem to have improved; things like head gaskets, CV joints etc seems to be getting better, as well as lower maintenance requirements (timing chains vs. belts).

Fit and finish maybe not as good the Legacies/outbacks/impreza, on the other hand our BRZ is outstanding.

Maybe not as good as Toyota/Honda, but far better than the Europeans (at least mechanically, not do much fit/finish). With the recent improvements in Kia/Hyundai, Subaru will need to up their game.

But I will grant that Subaru has lost it's niche appeal and is appealing to the masses with generic products. Like Harley Davisdon, trying to sell a lifestyle (outdoorys, green, "love") will only go so far when competitors have better products.

A liter is quite a bit, but I would keep an eye on it while you're under warranty.

[....]

Dealer has had the car twice for this problem. First time was at 6000 mile oil change and I noticed the reservoir was dry. Figured maybe it was not filled from the factory as I never checked on delivery. The dealer filled to full.

About 2000 miles later I noticed it was at half when cold. Brought it in for just this issue and they called after 2 hours later and said NPF. Gave me a story about how the level varies with temperature. Yeah really, that's why I gave them a photograph of the reservoir when the car was cold!

Anyway, I said keep it overnight and do a pressure test. The next morning NPF. They didn't say whether it held pressure or not.

I can smell coolant on the passenger side of the engine bay with car hot and in the garage . But I've looked and can't see any signs of a leak. Makes me think this could be a cracked component inside or even a BHG.

My current plan is to photograph the cold reservoir every 2 weeks as it steadily drops. I'll put together a nice PowerPoint and then have a talk with the dealer. If that goes nowhere then I'll call corporate as you suggest. I've already got two service logs with the problem, so I figure I am covered warranty wise, but this car is new and there's lots of warranty left.

... at 6000 mile oil change and I noticed the reservoir was dry ... The dealer filled to full ... About 2000 miles later I noticed it was at half when cold.

That's not unusual for a new Legacy. There's always some air trapped in the cooling system during manufacture, and it takes many start/stop, hot/cold cycles for all of that air to slowly migrate out of the system. Eventually the coolant loss will tend to stabilize at around 1 to 2 cups (200-400 ml) a year, primarily due to slow evaporation from the reservoir.

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

If its steadily dropping with mileage there is a leak. And my nose agrees. But I'm documentating this carefully and will do my own pressure test to see what I find.

I'm well aware of coolant drop on a refill, and I would expect things to level out after at most 2 or 3 drive cycles.