1. 1. HIDs worth it?

• Yes, HIDs offer more light output and are worth it
    • No, HIDs do not offer more light output and are not worth it
    • To be honest, I can't tell if my HIDs are putting out more light

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, get the HIDs you'll love them and they are totally worth the money

That is what the 27 results are trying to say. You asked a simple question and got a simple answer.

+ eleventy billion

You wanted application specific, I am using the McCulloch kit - easy install, I believe I have the 5000k kit.

My wife loves so much the ones in my car (6000K Xtec kit), she wants a set for her '04 X5 !!!

'nuff said!

doesn't her 04 x5 come with HID's already!??

i used to have the x5 HID projector retrofitted in my other car and it was pretty good.

maybe just get a set of 6000k ultinons..

OH.. and..

YES, GET THE HID'S - THEY ARE WORTH IT AND YOU WILL LOVE THEM.

doesn't her 04 x5 come with HID's already!??

i used to have the x5 HID projector retrofitted in my other car and it was pretty good.

maybe just get a set of 6000k ultinons..

OH.. and..

YES, GET THE HID'S - THEY ARE WORTH IT AND YOU WILL LOVE THEM.

Nah, she got the base model with a couple custom bits but no HID's but at least it has projectors so it will work great!!!

Again, +1 to OCD.

PhiTauFord, I have specifically stated - as others here have too - that with our SPECIFIC APPLICATION, even a simple bulb/ballast/ignitor kit will work just fine. A H7/D2S adaptor would be even better, and similarly, so would a total OEM-retrofit be of even greater benefit.

Benefits? Again - with even the bulb/ballast/ignitor only - it's more evenly dispersed light, with "more light" throughout. With the H7/D2S, you'll get better optical results, and with OEM-retrofit, superior.

Shortcomings? With the just the bulb/ballast/ignitor, you'll still get the same optical flaws as seen with our incandescents, plus a bit more foreground flooding, plus a bit more glare to oncoming traffic - however, none of these are nearly as bad as with other vehicles, as the LGT's optics really handles this very well. Similarly, an H7/D2S adaptor will get you even better results, while with an OEM-retrofit system, this shortcoming is invalidated. Other concerns, with HIDs in-general, include foreground flooding and blue scatter/reflected glare, the latter moreso with inclimate weather.

Benefits of an incandescent system? Not much - it's old technology, but so far, it's still the cheapest, and despite giving you the "feeling" that you're not seeing your best, that's actualy arguable as a superior system (such as ours) has virtually zero foreground flooding problems, and despite its lower absolute light output, the yellow, warm color-temperature actually gives the biologic system that's our eyes-brain the best depth perception and overall definition.

Drawbacks? Uneven lighting/artifacts, low output/high-drain - again, the shortcomings of old technology.

I hope this summary helps you, but honestly, it's nothing that hasn't been said before in this thread. I furthermore do not know how much more or what type of guidance you need/want, as, truly cut-and-dry, this is all the technical information that you'd need in order to make an informed decision is right here.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Love the HID's. MUCH easier to see...usable light is increased dramatically. Distance vision has increased bigtime. Anyone who differs either hasn't had 'em on their car or thinks HID's are "rice" or both. Amazing difference. Especially at night on the highway or mountain curves. Truly a lifesaver.

Nuff said. One day everycar will have HIDs. This is not "rice." This is proven technology.

Love the HID's. MUCH easier to see...usable light is increased dramatically. Distance vision has increased bigtime. Anyone who differs either hasn't had 'em on their car or thinks HID's are "rice" or both. Amazing difference. Especially at night on the highway or mountain curves. Truly a lifesaver.

:lol:

No, actually, I differ because of the technical facts, not because of what I may "think."

I've done both "proper" all-out retrofits as well as various "improper" bulb/ballast/ignitor retrofits in the past, on several different vehicles, and my statements are based both on scientific facts as well as personal experience (although I will admit that it is often hard to swallow one's pride, especially after having spent good money for some pricy kits, and trying to literally "see beyond" the placebo and "I now own this really expensive stuff" effects :redface: ).

At the current state of techical advance, the "goodness that is HID" is truly still a toss-up. Dissect the real pros and cons, and anyone can see the truth (and lies) of various assertions from BOTH sides of the arguement, be it for incandescents or for HIDs.

Nuff said. One day everycar will have HIDs. This is not "rice." This is proven technology.

This, I definitely agree with.

The era of incandescent lighting is coming to an end - we've pretty much topped-out technical advancements here. HIRs are a very nice late-addition, but honestly, development has now switched over to focus much more on HID technology, and it won't be long before engineers manage to address all of the current technical concerns, and truly make this a superior lighting technology, in the automotive headlight application.

Two of my long-time hobbies involve lighting - flashlights and cars - and actually, once upon a time, I even got an award from the SAE for an automotive lighting project ;) . I would like to think that I know when a form of lighting technology has reached its end, and in my very humble opinion, the days of incandescents in this application, for *any* car, is limited.

Soo what OEM retrofit kit works the best with the legacy?

Look no further than our own LGT brother, VXCL:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14544&highlight=vxcl+hid

I recently helped fellow LGT brother praedet retrofit the assembly on his LGT wagon ( Ted did all the work, I just contributed by being an extra pair of hands :) ), and I was impressed with the thoroughness of VXCL's provided items and instructions, as well as "customer support." :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived