So do you like your HIDs?

PhiTauFord

HIDs worth it?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. HIDs worth it?

• Yes, HIDs offer more light output and are worth it
    • No, HIDs do not offer more light output and are not worth it
    • To be honest, I can't tell if my HIDs are putting out more light

Well, I am still confused on your response. How much diffrent is the D2S bulb's output from the H7 kit, like the Xtec that I have currently on my setup? I find it to be very clear and sharp, but I am not sure if the D2S would make it any better. I know the difference between the halogen bulb and the HID is a huge step, but is it an improvement in going from a HID kit like the Xtec to a D2S bulb setup?

Just wondering.

X

There is no such thing as an H7 HID bulb. What you are getting is a D2S bulb that has been rebased to fit in an H7 socket. What the other poster was refering to was using a standard D2S bulb with an adaptor ring (just a little ring of machined or stamped metal that centers the slightly small diameter D2S bulb in the H7 mount). When properly aligned D2S bulbs very closely match the focal point of H7's. This is the setup I have in my car as well.

So long story short, you already have D2S bulbs in your car.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah Thank you, that makes it a lot clearer! (No pun intended!)

X

There is no such thing as an H7 HID bulb. What you are getting is a D2S bulb that has been rebased to fit in an H7 socket. What the other poster was refering to was using a standard D2S bulb with an adaptor ring (just a little ring of machined or stamped metal that centers the slightly small diameter D2S bulb in the H7 mount). When properly aligned D2S bulbs very closely match the focal point of H7's. This is the setup I have in my car as well.

So long story short, you already have D2S bulbs in your car.

---

Osram's may be better than their Sylavnia cousins, but I could barely tell a difference over the stock bulbs with them. Meh.

I threw the Silvania Silverstars in my headlights about 2 weeks ago and haven't noticed much increase in light output. The more concerning part was that I didn't notice a tremendous difference in colour either. Yes- the Silverstars are very white (pure) but the stock headlights were pretty damn white to begin with... much better than a stock Honda headlight from years past, which had noticable dingy yellow factor compared to aftermarket bulbs.

-A little disapointing considering I spent about 40 bucks CAN on the pair.

Same went with my fog light swap, as I threw in a set of 'xenon blue' Eurolites on a lark, as my old wholesaler hooked me up for free. I wanted to see if I liked the added bling factor of slightly blue fog lights.

The verdict? I couldn't tell for the life of me any difference in colour or light output.

It could be the fact that the Eurolites aren't very high quality (I've known that for over 6 years now...) or that the stock H3 fog bulbs are really nice and white right from the factory.

I believe only HID on this car would show me a noticable difference over stock.

The stockers perform really well, as others have noted.

^ +1, yet again ( probably up to +20-megabillion for me, now, :lol: ) for our stock incandescents being a superior example for this genre.

And definitely, our current clear-lensed projector system, which makes great use of available lighting, makes the SilverStar's (either brand) "color" truly the only thing that matters to individual preference, with the actual "output" of the bulb not immediately noticeable. Additionally, like brother gireland mentioned, with modern-day ultraclear composite "overlens" housing (as seen on our LGTs) - versus the previous-generation "translucent" Fresnel (as what he mentioned, on his older Honda) composite-lens housing - the benefit of the SilverStar bulbs are again less noticeable.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

What kit are you running?

X

One of my bulbs burnt out after a couple of months of use but this was a good thing since i had been running 6000K and really wanted to be running 8000K. Will never own a vehicle without them again.
---

One of my bulbs burnt out after a couple of months of use but this was a good thing since i had been running 6000K and really wanted to be running 8000K. Will never own a vehicle without them again.

ugghh.. You might as well not have the HID's if you're going 8000k.

I guess you're looking ONLY for color and not usable light output. A true OEM retrofit will give you color at the cutoff and still have usable light where it needs to be. As you can tell, I value being able to see where I'm driving.

Whatever. Im running the Mchulloch 8000K kit bought off of the forum and i would agree that the 6000K were brighter than the 8000K, But with the 8000k I havn't been getting flashed by oncoming traffic as much as with the 6000K. Believe it or not i can still see were i am going at night even better than when i had the stock halogen and i get tons of complements on them. I see no downside.

You may get compliments because I will admit, the color is pretty, but I seriously doubt that you can see better with the 8000k kit compared to stock H7 55W halogens.

4100k Philips 3200 lumens

6000k Philips 2400 lumens

H7 55W stock halogen 1800 lumens

8000k kit 2000 lumens

The difference is 200 lumens. Sure, the color is different, but the amount of usable light is pretty much the same (give or take a few hundred lumens - from what I've researched, these numbers are pretty much standard).

http://www.hidplanet.com for HID 101

^ Even with those lumen figures, I'd say that's about comparable. :)

Lumens, although a good measure of light, still only tells part of the story. Beam throw, pattern, and artifacts can all skew one's perception of how well a certain light works for certain applications.

I'm betting that the tremendous foreground flooding of the HIDs is simply causing pyroman to think that he's seeing better - combined with the effect that "bluer" HIDs can have on far-away street and road-signs, and the two may indeed give one the feeling of truly "seeing better," depending on one's illumination preferences.

Quantitating light output can easily be done, but putting that to-use is pretty darned tricky. ;)

A SureFire M6, a compact handheld "tactical flashlight" that puts out 500 lumens, will seem barely better than a SureFire C2, at slightly over 60 lumens, when indoors. But get outside, and the throw of the former versus the latter is just incomparable.

There's much more to light than lumen output. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Ah! Good point, I'd forgotten about that! :) Indeed, we're comparing with the same housing-to-housing.

to be honest, some of this is Greek to me. I am looking for a simple:

Yes, get the HIDs you'll love them and they are totally worth the money

-or-

No, you won't notice a difference and are not worth the money

-or-

Let me suggest an alternative to HIDs that will improve your lighting, and not cost as much. Then if you are still unhappy . . . go for the HIDs

-or-

-or-

Let me suggest an alternative to HIDs that will improve your lighting, and not cost as much. Then if you are still unhappy . . . go for the HIDs

If that's all you are looking for, just look at the results of the poll. Seems pretty clear to me:D

If that's all you are looking for, just look at the results of the poll. Seems pretty clear to me:D

Eh . . . not impressed with the sample size. Of the 34 polled the results are clear, but I would like to see some more.

I am looking to the thread for the kit used / and experiences thus far with them. The poll does not give me this.

Something you have to realize is that not everybody cares about upgrading their headlights. The stock halogens are perfectly fine. Uprgrade them if you have the extra money to burn. It was my first mod on the car when I bought it because I wanted the extra light. If you don't know enough about HIDs to form an opinion of your own whether you want them or not, then I really don't see how other people's opinions are going to matter much. Drive a car with them and one without them and make your own decision. You'll never hear anybody who has HIDs say that they aren't better than regular halogens. You will hear people with regular halogens say that they don't feel the need for an upgrade though. So it is all up to you and where you want to spend your money.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Check out this thread for HID information. Or you can search for HIDs and read even more. There are about a thousand HID websites out there that will be more than happy to tell you how great they are.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Something you have to realize is that not everybody cares about upgrading their headlights. The stock halogens are perfectly fine. Uprgrade them if you have the extra money to burn. It was my first mod on the car when I bought it because I wanted the extra light. If you don't know enough about HIDs to form an opinion of your own whether you want them or not, then I really don't see how other people's opinions are going to matter much. Drive a car with them and one without them and make your own decision. You'll never hear anybody who has HIDs say that they aren't better than regular halogens. You will hear people with regular halogens say that they don't feel the need for an upgrade though. So it is all up to you and where you want to spend your money.

+1 - emphasis added. :)

1st. Can't drive a car with them because I don't know anyone who has them.

2nd. I am interested in the opinions of LGT drivers who have done the upgrade since they can speak knowledgably about their upgrade and the kit they used.

3rd. I'm not looking for, 'ra ra HIDs are so great read about them in general at these generic web sites'. That does me no good for our specific application.

4th. I'm not expecting people who don't care about their hedlights to have any interest in this thread since it is headlight specific making it completely irrelivant to them.

5th. We do hear people who have HIDs saying they aren't better than regualr halogens . . . hence the option on the poll and the response to it.

+ 10 BILLION EMPHASIS ADDED

what do you want to hear then? The people who care are saying they are great. There are your opinions. You aren't ever going to get a 100% approval rating for anything. Nearly 75% of people who give a shit say that they are worth it. What more do you want? Do you want some heated debate and flame war between the HID users and non-HID users? Go to a dealership and test drive a car with HIDs. I never said borrow a friend's car. There are plenty of other ways. Drive next to a Mercedes on the freeway and compare their light output on the road to yours or something. Get creative.

You will hear people say HIDs are better and you will hear people say HIDs are the same as halogens. You will NEVER hear people say that halogens are better than HIDs (unless they are comparing to some 120000K kit or something). So do the math. Look at the stats as far as wins, losses and ties. HIDs are 1-0-1 in the standings against Halogens which are 0-1-1. Which would you prefer?

OCDETAILS BLOG

you gotta be kidding me. it's not worth my time to write a long response to this, but you are missing the bigger picture. not only am i looking for 'are they better', but i'm looking for application specific feedback.

also, it does me no good to use any other car as a standard for HIDs due to our housing which is my main concern.

That is what I don't understand. 27 people have told you that they work in our cars. What are you looking to hear? They work in our housing. They look good in our housing. What else is there? Buy them. If you don't like them then sell them. They will sell easily because people want them. They are good, they work, they are worth it. They work in our specific application. They look good in our specific application. I don't see what your bigger picture is since this has all been said numerous times. This isn't the only thread that has said all of this.

OCDETAILS BLOG

-or-

-or-

That is what the 27 results are trying to say. You asked a simple question and got a simple answer.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived