LegacyGT.com

Engine splash guard

The splash guard below the engine is loose and the bolts all look to be pulled up or missing, yet the splash guard is still wedged in there. How necessary is it and what needs to be done to screw the four or so bolts holding it on? They dont seem very accessible.

The engine is pretty clean since I've had the car since new and I drive it in upstate NY winters, so I assume it would help keep it clean.

Right now, when I turn left or right, I think it gets a little lose and hits some steering or suspension component since I'll get a slight noise.

I live in Connecticut and had the same issue. Mine had 2 screws on the far left/right side then those stupid pop clips that held it in. Over the years a few of the pop clips disappeared, and the screws eventually got very hard to get back in after doing an oil change. I had to replace my Cat Converter/Exhaust Header last year and simply never put that guard back on. I have not had any issues arise from not having it and the underside of the engine has remained very clean. I ran for a while with no Heat Shields on my exhaust as well, but that was taken care of when I had to replace the aftermarket Cat Converter that I put on.. lol

My '11 didn't have one on when I bought the car, no problems in the time I've owned it. It makes oil changes quicker!! Lol. Engine gets a little dirtier than normal I would assume, but my opinion is if it was absolutely needed, all cars would have them. So I don't bother trying to find a replacement.

Are these all GT's we are talking about? If you have a low mount turbo, then the guard protects that for sure.

There is a stock plastic option or a custom aluminum option as well.

I picked up this plastic OEM style one:

https://www.carid.com/2011-subaru-legacy-chassis-frames-body/replace-engine-cover-83727922.html

It fits great and was very reasonable at $35. I picked up a box of push fasteners for an additional $10.

The splash guard is more for aerodynamics than engine protection. My Dad adding undercar aero to all of his cars. I tried it on one of my cars and I was surprised to find that it measurably improve my fuel economy on the highway. All the under plastic probably adds at least 1 (maybe 2 mpg) on the highway, I am not sure how much the engine splash guard alone portion adds though. If you have it, I would replace the missing and broken fasteners and continue to use it.

If you do winter driving in deeper snow I would go woth a PR skid plate. You never know whats hinding on the road in 4"+ of snow. Of course I've lived out in a rural farming area my whole life so random objects lying in the road is a year round thing, especially mailboxes in summer.

They definitely help aero at highway speed, but also aid engine and intercooling by producing a low pressure zone back behind the engine to draw air through the radiator and intercooler as well as past the engine then back out below the firewall. Probably more critical in hot summer temperatures.

Archived