LegacyGT.com

Swapping '05-'06 longblock into '07+ LGT

The current motor in my '07 spec.B is on its way out (I think it's a head issue, worn valve guides/seals), and in the interest of getting it back up and running soon and cheap, I'm wondering what difficulties I'd run in to with swapping in an '05-'06 longblock into it. I know the heads are different and don't have the air-pump, but otherwise I'm not sure what I'd need to worry about.

I don't want to swap ECUs, so I'm mostly worried about wiring... are the harnesses plug-and-play? Will I be able to use the fueling setup (top-feed) from my car on the earlier longblock? Are there any different sensors that don't exist on the earlier ones that are required on the later ones?

Haven't found much information on this sort of swap, so looking to ping the minds of anyone here who can help me out. I should add, I'm not worried about reliability too much. It's not my daily, and I intend to keep the old long-block to rebuild it. I'm aware I'll need to re-tune as well.

If you swap your intake manifold (TGV’s up) it’s plug and play electrically. All the stuff on the actual block should be cross comparable. The changes were related to top feed injectors, TGV wireing, a second evap solenoid, adding air pumps, ect. If you’re already done the air pump delete you’re pretty much good to go. If not, now is the time to do it.

This is mechanicaly plug and play as well. You’d just unbolt the TGV’s from the old block and transfer the entire intake manifold assembaly to your new block.

• 8 months later...
Not answering your questions, but what is really wrong right now on your engine? misfires? excessive oil consumption?

Large puff of smoke at cold startup. During heavy load, massive oil consumption and smoke shows (last autocross, it went through a quart in 3 runs), rough idling and starting. I'm fairly certain it's worn valve guides, because if I just drive the car and keep it out of vacuum, it runs pretty much fine, e.g. on the highway. Doesn't seem to be low on power when in boost.

mmh. You have a jpm. Then that'd be strange if the seals would fail that quick. But it does not hurt to check. I guess you could always drop the downpipe 'real quick' and check the hot side for the presence of oil. My guess is that it should be pretty obvious.

Find a set of same engine heads, have them completely re-done and all parts sitting ready including gaskets, head studs, and timing, jerk the engine, swap the heads, and put it back in. 3 days if you're diligent and stay on it. If you replace your heads with same fresh heads, you shouldn't need a re-tune, unless there is more wrong with the engine. Sell the old heads and make back part of your money.

Last time I had the DP off (maybe 1-5k miles at most before I stopped driving the car, well after the excessive smoking and higher consumption started), there wasn't any appreciable play in the turbine, or any oil residue in the hot-side.

OK. Did you check for excessive blow-by too? How does the throttle body hose look like? Light oil film or 'large' puddle?

Did you also check the spark plugs?

Find a set of same engine heads, have them completely re-done and all parts sitting ready including gaskets, head studs, and timing, jerk the engine, swap the heads, and put it back in. 3 days if you're diligent and stay on it. If you replace your heads with same fresh heads, you shouldn't need a re-tune, unless there is more wrong with the engine. Sell the old heads and make back part of your money.

My plan at the moment is to just swap in the other longblock I bought, and eventually build the one that comes out. I don't mind re-tuning :)

Blowby seems a bit much, but it's not puddles. PCV is new, didn't make any difference. Everything seems to point to valve guides/seals.

how about the spark plugs?

And when you said it ran rough at cold idle, were you getting high misfire counts?

No, no misfires. Haven't checked plugs but will when I pull the motor. It runs fine at cold idle, never said otherwise. It just smokes a little bit at startup (see below). Coming back to idle when warm is a little rough, and warm cranking isn't great either.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hduvZ_BFdYc]SMOOOOKE - YouTube[/ame]

I assumed when you said 'rough idling', it was after startup. no misfires huh. It's strange that your valve seals would fail. I actually don't recall hearing such an issue on the forum. Or I may have missed it. How many miles does your engine have?

I assumed when you said 'rough idling', it was after startup. no misfires huh. It's strange that your valve seals would fail. I actually don't recall hearing such an issue on the forum. Or I may have missed it. How many miles does your engine have?

Worn valve guides aren't super uncommon (plenty of examples on NASIOC). Motor's got 166k or so on it.

Archived