LegacyGT.com

Which tires would you choose?

I really like Kumho tires.. Great tires for the money. I've never bought goodyears because the reviews always seem pretty mediocre for the price.

Though they do make a few different ecsta models, so I'm not sure which you mean.

LS2 are factory, or at least they are on my 16 now. Complete trash.

Yup, they came on my 18...I can tell you they really suck in winter and on snow, badly. I haven't noticed any issues since it's thawed a bit here, but I also haven't tried them in actual rain/wet yet, either, so...

I can say, I'll be buying a set of actual winter tires for this coming winter; these things are truly horrible when it's cold and snowing. Maybe they'll redeem themselves in summer, who knows.

Yup, they came on my 18...I can tell you they really suck in winter and on snow, badly. I haven't noticed any issues since it's thawed a bit here, but I also haven't tried them in actual rain/wet yet, either, so...

I can say, I'll be buying a set of actual winter tires for this coming winter; these things are truly horrible when it's cold and snowing. Maybe they'll redeem themselves in summer, who knows.

And yours are new. Imagine them used. Subaru is doing a disservice to themselves putting these on AWD cars...

I mean the tires are serviceable, just horrible on snow and rain, I drove them on crappy weather and they were truly crappy.

I didn’t feel comfortable at all. If you live in warm weather you should not have any issues unless it rains a lot.

I've had an excellent experience with the goodyear LS2 tires that come with the car. The tread life is lasting very well with a little over half life left at 30,000 miles. The wet traction feels very reliable and I've never had any type of hydroplaning at speeds near 70mph in heavy rain. Snow traction is average. You'll definitely get where you're going and have no problem driving when there is 2-4 inches of snow accumulated on the roads but of course they are no snow tires.

Would I buy these tires again? No - you can definitely get a better tire for the same or less price. Am I mad these are the OEM tires on the car - not at all. In your situation since you seem like you have to get one or the other, I would probably go with the Kuhmo because I would be interested in trying something new from just quickly searching they look to be much cheaper and of similar performance. I'd also do a search and see who has any tire rebates going on right now.

The tires the other guys are recommending are without a doubt superior, but not everyone needs or can afford the absolute best tires.

Wait...You have AWD and still have issues in snow...this one reason I just bought an AWD car. My wife had a RAV...never any issues with any tires. So, can you clarify what is so bad about them?

Wait...You have AWD and still have issues in snow...this one reason I just bought an AWD car. My wife had a RAV...never any issues with any tires. So, can you clarify what is so bad about them?

Id like to know as well. I don't deal with snow (unless I decide to drive up into the mountains which I don't. This car is 21 years old and I can rip around town in the rain. I have not been able to break a tire free yet. Would like to hear your experiences in snow.

If you had to choose between the GoodyearLS2 or Kuhmo Ecsta, which would you choose? I don’t really know a lot about tires and need them put on tomorrow. These are the two available that I can afford. :lol:

You probably made your choice already. The LS2s are not the best tires, but they are not too bad when new. I've had mine for almost a year and 10k miles later; drove in the north east and mid west winter weather, and heavy rain. Never felt that I wasn't in control. Unless you are driving like you stole it, they are decent.

The original ones on the car were pretty toast when I bought it at 35k. So don't expect them to last anything more than that.

I've put Kumhos on several cars we've owned in the past - great bang for the buck! As someone else has already pointed out, the Goodyears aren't terrible as OEM tires (I have plenty of treadlife left at 40K miles on my '17 Legacy) but they are noisy and better tires could be had for similar money (including, probably, those Kumhos).

I'll also second the motion that you check the tire ratings at Tirerack. When it's time to replace my Goodyears, I'll probably put a little more money into the set and go with either the Michelins or Contis, if for no other reason than trying to reduce the road noise a bit.

Just because you have AWD does NOT mean that you can just plow through anything that comes your way. Your tires still have a LOT to do with the traction of your car and how well it performs in an AWD scenario. No different than having EyeSight. Just because you have it does not mean you can drive like an idiot thinking that your car will prevent you from killing yourself or others around you.

Just because you have AWD does NOT mean that you can just plow through anything that comes your way. Your tires still have a LOT to do with the traction of your car and how well it performs in an AWD scenario. No different than having EyeSight. Just because you have it does not mean you can drive like an idiot thinking that your car will prevent you from killing yourself or others around you.

Yes I am aware of the dangers of plowing thru snow. And to be fair I am in Eastern PA...the definition of a ‘lot of snow’ here may differ from the original poster. Having had 30+ years of driving both FWD and AWD around these parts I can tell you I have never has an issue pulling and moving in my wife’s AWD car (both 1st and second generation RAVs) My Camry and Corolla...thats another story and pretty much the reason I am in a Subaru...I wanted AWD and a **car**. I Was merely asking for an elaboration...was it pulling out, stopping...does the car perform worse than say the Forestor etc.

As far as eyesight, I do not have that and wish I could have afforded it. That tech is the best thing to come along in years. The down side is that, as you mentioned, people will become complacent so those using it properly need to start to watch for folks hitting them!

;)

Archived