LegacyGT.com

COBB AP numbers after a 200 mile drive...

Thankfully it was connected but falling off. Not as bad as the photo looks. As they say "just the tip" LOL. I zip tied it.

So I didn't smoke test it yet. Which line should I connect to for smoking it? Not boost pressure testing, just smoke.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thankfully it was connected but falling off. Not as bad as the photo looks. As they say "just the tip" LOL. I zip tied it.

So I didn't smoke test it yet. Which line should I connect to for smoking it? Not boost pressure testing, just smoke.

Cleared it and went for another drive. Still getting Fine Knock Learn @ -8.40

Shows up after boost goes higher. Other than that it looks better. What else should I check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can plug the inlet and smoke through the BPV vacuum line, or you can get a PVC cap and smoke through the inlet like on the boost leak test video.

Those fuel trims are pretty good, I'm guessing you have one very small leak left. A learning view would be good to get a real picture of the knock learning.

Time for an e-tune, maybe.

Have you cleaned the MAF?

I need to get my hands on a laptop and a tactrix cable to do that.

I need to get my hands on a laptop and a tactrix cable to do that.

My local budget tuner bought a OBDII cable, a USB cable, and a, and a breakout board (ill attach a picture).

Using these things he was able to make his own tactrix cable for 20 bucks.

I am unsure of the details, but id be willing to bet there is a write up on nasioc or something.

breakoutbaord.jpg.41634da04bedfca6b84edc8b844e721b.jpg

Here’s where I am so far:

Boost has dropped to 16.6

Feedback knock is -7.0

Fine Knock Kearn is -8.4

AF Learn is around 11

DAM is 1.0

Both Feedback Kncok and Fine Knock only show up under hard acceleration and around 6k+ RPM.

Does this sound more like a boost leak?

Feedback knock is -7.0

Fine Knock Kearn is -8.4

AF Learn is around 11

DAM is 1.0

Both Feedback Kncok and Fine Knock only show up under hard acceleration and around 6k+ RPM.

DAM is back to 1 which would indicate things are somewhat back to normal. I don't like the fine knock learn and feedback knock numbers though. Did you reset the ECU after re-hooking up the vacuum line?

So what's I am looking for is OBD2 to USB, a PC Laptop and software. Correct?

Any advice on where to source the cable and software?

I will smoke it again tonight via vacuum line on blowoff, correct? Just getting clear on best port to add smoke. I will block off intake hose.

My favorite option: ODBLink MX or LX dongle, available via Amazon, etc. Use with BtSsm app on Android.

Cheapest option: generic VAG-COM cable, like $10 on eBay. Use with RomRaider's Learning View software in Windows. Also with FreeSSM.

Open source tuners' preference: Tactrix cable, also for Windows solutions.

Smoke through BPV vacuum line is good.

Feedback knock is -7.0

Fine Knock Kearn is -8.4

AF Learn is around 11

DAM is 1.0

DAM is back to 1 which would indicate things are somewhat back to normal. I don't like the fine knock learn and feedback knock numbers though. Did you reset the ECU after re-hooking up the vacuum line?

I would agree with the reset and see how it looks. However, for an OTS tune, you may not see much better.(This is assuming your smoke test and other checks come out ok.) The ECU is reacting to conditions it's seeing and correcting for them. The Cobb OTS tune was good, but wasn't great. Subaru's tend to be very finicky in my opinion. You can't use a brood solution on these as much as you can on other platforms.

Tuning based on actual logged results will get you to where you need to be and is very important. Doing this will get your numbers closer to zero/nominal.

I'm unsure how helpful this is, but I just came across this knock FAQ on nasioc and thought it was an interesting read.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2711703

Yes, thank you that link is very helpful. There is a lot to learn about this car and I have been learning for the past year and still have a long way to go.

More leaks than the CIA! :lol:

Glad it’s working out. I still get a few learn knock events occasionally on the AP, so don’t be too concerned with -2 or less occasionally, especially if you have a bit of a noisy engine. I got rid of a lot of buzzing with a new header and up pipe. My OEM up pipe only had 50k miles and half the welds were cracked!

Thanks. Yes, the '07 does look a bit different from my '05 in there. Also I've never messed with the TGVs. Anyway, that plate covers the pivot bearing for the non-motor end of the TGV shaft. I've never taken that apart to see how it's sealed. Very common for the gaskets above or below the TGV to leak, never heard of that plate leaking. Are you sure the smoke was coming from the plate, and not from below or above it?

It could be coming from below it. It really looked like it was shooting smoke down from that cover.

After looking at other pages and searching for TGV Vacuum leaks I found this video.

It does look like it might be the intake manifold gaskets. Unless some little gasket is leaking at the end cap of the TGV.

Here is a post that talks about the same problem, but does not answer it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tgv-manifold-small-end-cover-vacuum-leak-236480.html?t=236480

Archived