LegacyGT.com

My '99 Wagon

Weekend Update

Major fabrication weekend. Finally got the exhaust done!

wIrQgtn.jpg?1

KgbQqto.jpg

Also made and modified a hand full of brackets so the vacuum pump fits, the ballast resistor has somewhere to go, power steering reservoir is located, and coolant overflow pipe exists.

Also, I want to document that in the wiring process, no where can I specifically find what Pin 23 does on connector B137 for the ECU (red wire with blue stripe). However, I found one thread about clearing code P1446 (https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183535) that mentions this wire so I'm 99% sure it's for the fuel tank vacuum switching valve. Apparently '03s+ have this. My options are to A) cut it out an hope the tuner can disable this, B) place an appropriate resistor in its place, or C) extract the valve out of the donor wire it up and tuck it under the dash.

With any luck, wiring will be next weekends project...

Walbro 255 lpm fuel pump in.

pVNyyt9.jpg

Finalizing wiring cheat sheet for what wires need spliced, removed, or cut and kept. I will be sure to link that sheet in this thread when it is finished. I also reviewed my splicing sheet and plan of attack with a second set of eyes and caught a few things I didn't see the first time. New soldering iron (hakko fx-888D, would recommend) has been ordered and should be here for the merging weekend.

Edited by ZMAN24250

It runs!!!

It turns out Im not great at documenting as Im working... I kinda get in a wrenching gear and dont think to take progress pictures until after Ive done things.

To sum it up:

Harness has been merged

Fog lights have been added to the harness

AVCS wires were installed

Wire harness has been installed

Fuel pump controller has been installed

Car runs!!

Bulkhead harness installed:

4v8QYHy.jpg

Some of the harness was a little short so I ended up having to tug and manipulate stuff to get it to work.

I also installed the fuel pump controller in a factory(ish) location, back behind the right rear strut tower. I figure the factory put it back there for a reason. I probably could have tucked it under the dash but six one way, half a dozen the other...

The exhaust sounds exactly what I was going for, nice and mellow. There does seem to be a small exhaust leak I think too.. It also seems down on boost, Im only getting like 5 psi.. but I also dont trust this gauge so Ill have to hunt that problem down.

Another problem is my code reader wont communicate with the ecu. I believe this to be the fact that I have to move some pins around in the data link connector, but this need research.

But it runs! Gauges work, fans work, just about everything seems to work.

Thanks guys! It does feel pretty great knowing I did it myself.

Just ordered new fenders and in the process of stripping paint off the bumper cover and scoop. They looked very tired and fenders were rusted out so the car wont be fully put back together for awhile.

Boost is there now! I think it was just because I was looking at boost in 1st/2nd gear. You get it on the road and middle of 3rd gear I got .09ish MPa (13ish psi) so everything seems good in that region.

Also need to put new output shaft seals on the gearbox in; found giant puddles of gear oil.

Another thing I need to investigate is why when I plug my obdII reader in and go to look at the live data, all I see is DTC_CNT (how many error codes there are). I dont see any readouts for any of the sensors... Im not sure if the ecu may have been tuned before and thats why... or maybe something wasnt wired right to the data link connector.... Any thoughts/experience is appreciated!

Damn! Congratulations on getting the motor in and having dealt with all that wiring. This is something I've toyed with the idea of for a couple years. It's always just seemed so daunting, but this thread with your efforts are making it seem less so!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Poosh! It really wasnt too bad looking back on it and I definitely know what to change for next time.

But Im not out of the woods yet... Were starting to get into the thick of it now boys...

94YWdDB.jpg

She was getting real tired on the front and rear bumper paint. Plus the rust is getting out of hand. Time for some rust repair and bodywork

What are you going to use to repair any problem spots?
According to the paint society youtube channel, it seems the best would be to use 100ez epoxy for fixing cracks and polyflex for the filler. If you haven't checked out the show, it's really good and the lead painter, Brian, does a fantastic job explaining the "how to".

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Fusor-Plastic-Adhesive-FUS-100EZ/dp/B000ZJXB5W

https://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Evercoat-411-Poly-Flex-Polyester/dp/B000P6US6A

So for any of the fairly deformed spots im going to get the heat gun and see if I cant persuade them back closer to where theyre supposed to be.

There are some dings and gouges that will need filled. Thanks rhino for the suggestion on the filler! I was just going to use regular filler but Ill investigate what I have vs the suggestion. Else, I think we are going to use some high fill primer and see if we can get the rest of the imperfections out.

Also since having to move the car around without the muffler (vband clamp FTW) it sounds majestic. Im toying the idea of putting an exhaust cutout after the resonator so I can be loud if I want and fairly tame for normal commuting.

Edited by ZMAN24250

Awesome build! This is exactly what I want to do to my 30th Wagon I snagged in Dec. Unfortunately my rear passenger door is trashed, got another door from a white 96 L wagon but I'm worried about paint matching...

Anyways can't wait to see more!

befbYcS

Into the rust repair wormhole we go!

1gGwbIs.jpg

BEuGUS7.jpg

Big OOF.... I hate living in the salt belt....

The keen will also note that there is a whole on the inside of the strut tower too...

This is drivers side. have to do it all on the passenger side too. Time to order up some welding supplies and get my Miller actually behaving.

New JDM ecu arrived today. Plugged it in and seems to be running well. Error codes came up for tumble generator equipment of which there is none on this engine. I guess I'll have to live with the code till I get it tuned. But I should have functional AVCS now!

Sorry guys, I forgot to upload my cheat sheet! Got wrapped up in the rest of the build.

This is what I have at this time and have updated it with notes I made during the splicing. This splicing was for a 1999 legacy L 30th anniversary California model and a 2003 USDM WRX.

It may be different for different years and if yours was not a california model.

If anyone finds something wrong, let me know!

PIN cheet sheet.pdf

A nice little JDM package showed up in the mail today!

qmm4oo9.jpg?1

Shout out again to @PingPong for the JDM goodies!

I dont think I'm going to end up using everything I got in this deal, but there are a few things I've been searching for and some were happy surprises.

I like the door grab handles, but being from a RHD car, the switches for the front are on the wrong side and there isn't any way to easily move them around. However, I do like the switches way more than the USDM ones. Only thing I can think to do is modify the USDM switch housing to make the door grab bars work. Idk, were going to wait till rust repair and paint is done first.

Side marker lights Ive been looking out for, the center console with the little tray in front of the shifter is a happy find! I love that little tray!

I'm not sure if i'm going to keep the spats... it seems they need side skirts to work and i don't have those.

But first is to fix rust and to get everything painted. Still cutting steel back to find a solid foundation. First time I've really attempted rust repair.

• 4 weeks later...

Work continues... a lot of sanding and body work still to do.

Also, I now have an air diverter for the hood scoop.

kzsQnI1.jpg

I had to modify it pretty heavily. It came off the wrx and didn't exactly bolt up. I cut the perimeter off the block off plate that was there and chiseled down the wrx one until it fit in that perimeter. Also had to shrink the diverter scoop size.

9q930kj.jpg

I still have to make a few patches and finish weld everything but I'm pretty happy how everything turned out.

• 3 weeks later...