LegacyGT.com

My '99 Wagon

Just got the rotors in the mail, Still not sure about what pad to run though. Kinda want to hear your guy’s opinions; especially about ceramics as I’ve never run them before.

Hopefully I’ll have some time this week to finish electrolysis dipping the caliper and brackets and paint them.

Goal is to get everything on and the wing on before this weekend.

Let me start off by saying, I've worked at any auto parts store for 5+ years. Most of the retail grade pads are junk.

I've only had a couple sets of pads across the subarus I've owned and worked on, I'd never run non ceramics on a Subaru again, the reason being that subarus brakes are awful and I've cooked many sets of cheap semi metallic pads. Yay brake fade at 45mph. But I might be tempted to try the blend material racing pads. I'm running Wagner Thermo-quiet Ceramics on my 2nd gen now and they're horrible too. They brake better and I've never overheated them but they make a ton of noise, even with multiple removals/reinstalls and pad deglazings. And they put off way more dust then they should.

The Wearever Advance Auto house brand ceramics are actually pretty decent, and I'd take them over the Wagners. My buddy runs them on his 4th gen and I have them on my 3rd gen and all in all they're nice. Not nearly as noisy or dusty as the Wagners.

I'm going to be replacing my front rotors and pads shortly with EBC rotors and red stuff pads as well as replacing my master cylinder. So we'll see how that goes.

I'm definitely not replacing with stock type pads. I want something a bit better.

Right now its between Akebonos, Hawk Performance, and EBC Red stuffs. I just cant decide. Ive run Hawks before so I'm leaning to that but I've also been told EBC's are good but have never tried....

I'm definitely not replacing with stock type pads. I want something a bit better.

Right now its between Akebonos, Hawk Performance, and EBC Red stuffs. I just cant decide. Ive run Hawks before so I'm leaning to that but I've also been told EBC's are good but have never tried....

My EBC pads and rotors should be sitting on my front step when I get home today and I planned to put them on this weekend, so I'll let you know how they feel once they're installed and broken in.

I love my hawk HPS pads on my 98 wagon. I would also upgrade to the outback 2 piston front calipers if you haven't already.

Going a step better and putting on some WRX calipers. ;)

My EBC pads and rotors should be sitting on my front step when I get home today and I planned to put them on this weekend, so I'll let you know how they feel once they're installed and broken in.

Cool! I hope to hear soon!

Edited by ZMAN24250

The laws here in VA are really strict too, the legal limit is 50% front and 35% rear. But I've never been bugged about it, I also have the trunk side windows tinted and vinyl wrapped so they only look tinted but you can't see through them at all.

I just got pulled over for my tint and it's officially 16%. The guy was in a good mood and I played dumb so just got a verbal warning. So all is well.

• 1 month later...

Warning: long update

TL;DR: I installed my wing, EBC redstuffs, and a hitch. Also, she’s currently at the tinter’s and I’m concocting ideas for what to do next.

I haven’t been able to sit down long enough to make a post so here’s the many updates I have.

Well to start, I finally got my wing installed. I’m really happy with it and I think it makes the back end look soo much better! It was all pretty strait forward. Now I just have to find the trim price that deletes the US high mount stop light.

G2E1lYM.jpg

Next on my list was the horrendous brakes. I could put my foot into her good and not even lock up a tire. Unacceptable. After the fact we found out that the front rotors were an inch smaller in diameter than my roommates rear rotors on his saab. :eek:

Decided on EBC Redstuff 3000 series accompanied by Rebestos coated rotors.

RAlSnJv.jpg

Holy sh*t the difference. About went through the windshield the first time I hit the brakes. I was using it with the same force as the old brakes before I quickly recalibrated. Still have to put the new dust shields on but everything is so rusted on... :spin:

Also, apperently I didn’t talk about the fact that I installed a hitch! Found a brand new one on CL and loved the idea of being able to do this!

8h3rO99.jpg

It was all pretty strait forward to mechanically install. Problem came when I had to go wire it. Because I don’t have an Outback, there’s no trailer wire harness for me to plug a plug n play trailer wire kit right into. I didn’t like the idea of splicing into the wire harness so I decided to compromise. I found a wire pigtail for the trailer harness out of a Forrester at pull a part and spliced that into my existing wire harness in the same location as an outback. Then just used the same wire harness you can buy at uhaul for an Outback. Simple as that!

TgVEcoJ.jpg

Up to bat: window tint

As I type this she’s currently at the tinter’s. Decided on 20% in the back and 35% in the front. I’m super excited. I’ll try to update tonight after I pick her up.

On deck:

I have a few options here. I’m thinking about sourcing some ‘10-‘13 wrx rims or some 17” Enkie EKM3 rims next. Other option is the JDM double L grille. And another would be JDM headlights/tailights.

I’m also open to opinions so if there are better thoughts shout them out!

Sorry for the long winded update...

Edited by ZMAN24250

Can't see through the glass, but I bet there is a hat and glasses in there...

[Tint] so dark, they won’t even know your name. :cool:

I think I might be going a different direction. I found a set of JL components (with tweeters and crossovers) with JL co-axiales. I’m thinking about getting my speakers setup for when I put a head unit/sub in down the road.

And if anyone knows where to find Ekm3’s or wrx rims for cheep, let me know :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update. Been busy with my summer Co-op but still working on Gramps a bit

Well, in a incident with the tinter, they damaged my rear center tail light garnish. Accidentally melted it a bit. You can see a little white circle underneath my windshield wiper a few posts back when I was talking about my wing. The tinter went back on the security cam and found that the tech did it. However, the tech denies it but the manager said that they can clearly see he did it.

The tinter said they would definitely replace it. However I wanted the JDM anyway so we agreed that the tinter would fund whatever a USDM garnish would cost and I would pay the difference to get the JDM one.

This meant I need the matching tail light ends. Shoutout to @PingPong for hooking me up with some tail lamps.

Here's the whole setup

kdgnxpc.jpg

Had to do some repair on the centerpiece as the corner was a bit damaged but some epoxy and its good now.

Before:

BIc2f65.jpg

After:

uN1k7LL.jpg

MMMMM that booty. Looks sooo much better. Cant wait to get the front of the car looking this good.

Also, started working on the audio. Found a secondhand set of JL coaxials, components, and tweeters with crossovers that were barely used. Ive only got around to installing the components but I gotta work on the rest.

EuGg7mm.jpg

I have a Denon amp and a 12" hifonics sub that are gunna go in at some point to. Plan is to make a removable box that will sit on the right side of the cargo area. But thats later..

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a set of WRX rims for a decent price. Two of the tires were bad so I have to get a new set of tires. I'm thinking about getting some Continental DWS extreme contacts but I'm open to opinions.

But for now, here's a teaser...

S08QTzF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I'm stuck trying to pick out what tires I want. In the mean time Ive been busy fixing all the little stuff here and there.. like a window switch three times....

Oh, also this happened.

hxXXmtH.jpg

Found an Outback in the local pull-a-part and decided to get the hood scoop hood. Its not perfect but I plan on repainting it at some point. Gotta learn how to do body work at some point anyway....

But right now I'm stuck between a few tires

• Continental DWS 06
  • Continental Extremecontact ct sport
  • General AS-05
  • General G-max RS
  • Falken Azenis FK510
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
  • Sumitomo HTR III

They will be just summer tires. I planning on getting a set of seperate snow tires.

Also, do I stick with a 235 tire or do I move to a 245 tire. The 235 is factory for a wrx but it does have a slight bit of stretch to it. Which might be good for making sure the wheels tuck better when there's weight in the car. Not sure.. leaning towards 235.

So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ZMAN24250

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made a decision on tires. GOing to go with the Sumitomo HTR III. I think its a tire within my price range and will have all the performance Im looking for.

Also, I kinda spiraled downhill and ended up doing some body work.

lceyUvn.jpg?1

Was getting a little bubbling in the rear quarters and wanted to attack it before it got too bad. Well.. I found a hole.. sh*t... I did the best I could with the crappy flux core welder I have. Ill see if I cant do better when my buddy gets his garage built and I can use his better tools. For now its just coated in rust converter stuff to keep it at bay.

In other news... I have to do a project in my Vehicle Dynamics class that is about performance calculations of a car of my choosing. Well, I decided to do it on my own legacy. I feel like it might be something cool to post on here so when its finished Ill be sure to post It here.

Stay tuned for more!

Was getting a little bubbling in the rear quarters and wanted to attack it before it got too bad. Well.. I found a hole.. sh*t... I did the best I could with the crappy flux core welder I have. Ill see if I cant do better when my buddy gets his garage built and I can use his better tools. For now its just coated in rust converter stuff to keep it at bay.

I did my first undertaking on rust removal and repainting when I did my SVX. It was originally a Wisconsin car and it had some bubbling on the rear wheel arches. I used a polycarbonite stripper wheel on my angle grinder and it made easy work of the rust removal. I was able to strip it down to bare clean metal, coat it with a rust converter, filled in the low spots with some bondo filler, and sanded it smooth. Rust is no more and it looks great again.

Finished my report! I don't think it came out too bad for cramming it in last minute. Its cool to see how close all the calculations were to the actual values using the dimensionless equations and performance calculations.

If you want the TL;DR, heres the conclusion...

"The results of the performance calculation can be compared to known values

found by reputable journals as well as personal collected data. The Legacy L

wagon analyzed in this report was taken to Summit Motorsports Park in

Norwalk, Ohio and raced on the quarter mile track. The time slips received from

the two runs can be seen in Figure 3 in Appendix I. It shows a ¼ mile E/T of

17.460 and 17.154 seconds with a respective trap speed of 79.41 and 79.53

mph for the first and second run. Compared to the calculated E/T of 18.4

seconds and 77.27 mph, the error is only 6.7% for E/T and 2.9% for trap speed

using the faster time slip."

There's other graphs and such in there if you're so inclined. But the rest just walks you through the process.

1999 Legacy L Wagon Performance Report.pdf