LegacyGT.com

New LEGACY question regarding delivery

I just ordered a new LEGACY and the dealer just called me and advised that the vehicle is in port in Boston, I was just curious since these vehicles are manufactured in the U.S. why they would go to port? Is this a central distribution location for SUBARU?

I just ordered a new LEGACY and the dealer just called me and advised that the vehicle is in port in Boston, I was just curious since these vehicles are manufactured in the U.S. why they would go to port? Is this a central distribution location for SUBARU?

Even if it did come by sea, I didn't think there was that much space around the Boston port.. I've seen large quantities of cars that do arrive by sea go to the Newark port in NJ. That's a bit more central to distribute to the NE region / East coast than Boston.

May be by "port" the dealer meant to say it came to their local regional distribution site and not an actual port...

The dealer probably meant the vehicle is in Rhode Island (its near Boston, but if he was smart he wouldnt be a car salesman). The old Navy base at Quonset PT. in RI is used as a hub for delivery of Subarus by train from Indiana. Vehicles at this facility are said to be "in port". There are large buildings which were cheap to lease and many train spurs in the area so that is why it was picked.

When I bought my car new in 2012, I was told the same thing by the genius salesman. "Your car came from the port of Boston" and that "some accessories are port installed".

I asked him, if the cars are built in Lafayette, IN, why would they be delivered to Boston, and then reshipped to my area? He didn't know.

I have also toured the Lafayette facility (as well as other factories) and it's impressive. The tour guide pointed out that factory-ordered accessories ARE installed at the factory. There is a separate building next to the factory. Cars are driven off of the assembly line and into this building for the accessories to be added.

Then they are loaded onto trains.

Capttris - how does someone set up a factory tour? I'd love to fly down and check it out.

I'd like to know how to set this up as well for the next time. I was in the area last year and drove around the factory, but didn't have enough time to ask around and find out how.

the real answer (don't trust actual answers from 'experts') is that your car was assembled in Indiana but is then shipped to a Shinto shrine in Japan (sorry, I cannot divulge which shrine) for a ninjitsu ceremony, where it is bestowed with AWD capabilities that mechanical systems alone cannot explain, then is smuggled back into the US under cover of darkness, ready for delivery from a shipping facility in Rhode Island...

Is this a central distribution location for SUBARU?

Management Summary: Yes, for vehicles sold in the two distributor territories ... Subaru of New England (New England states) and Subaru Distributors Corp. (New York and northern New Jersey). In the rest of the country, Subaru of America sells direct to their dealers.

The distributorships are a holdover from the early days of Subaru sales in the U.S.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I worked at that crap hole for 10 years before i left and went to subaru! The 3500’s and C175’s are built on a moving conveyor floor just like the final line at subaru. The 3600’s are all stall built because they are too heavy for a conveyor. The Paint booth where i worked for the last 5 years I was there has junk robots that are only good for impressing unknowing tourists...the robots at subaru can open and close doors before it paints inside the car. I got tired of not knowing if I would have a job from week to week. I had 10 years in and my hiring class had the least seniority in the place and were talking about moving people and work tiers around to cut pay. But having that job building gigantic engines is what got me the experience to get my key skilled 2 job at SIA as a heavy repair tech. And before Cat I worked at Wabash National...don’t even wanna talk about those years! I took a 10 dollar an hour cut in pay to go to sia but with free insurance and the OT I work and a legacy payment coming out of my check I still make more money than I did at Caterpillar. And luckily my wife works there too so it’s double the pay!

Thanks for being a part of the making of my car! I'd love to be a part of that.

Archived