LegacyGT.com

New cheap all metal after market intercoolers $200 - Rev9

Alright thanks everyone! Well Ebay just offered a 15% discount code on any purchase over $50 it expires in an hour. So I pulled the trigger and got the intercooler for $31 less than the original post. It'll be here in a week and I'll let you guys know what the results are.

Sbt, I'll run some pressurized air and maybe run some water through it when I get it to make sure that doesn't happen. Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Over a year now and I did have to trim the OEM heatshield because of the CNT downpipe/VF52 were bigger not because of TMIC size.

What throttlebody hose are you using? I cant get mine to fit with the stock hose. Im thinking of picking up an AVO hose on ebay. They are running about $53

For others who are interested (because i have received PM's on this) Im having trouble getting the intercooler on. Its a bit wider in all dimensions. Not a lot. but just enough to be annoying, and it doesnt seem to be playing with the stock hose very well. but if i get that part right then that might solve the fitment

s-l500.jpg.6be66bdc25aa20109b372334c12fc1e7.jpg

What throttlebody hose are you using? I cant get mine to fit with the stock hose. Im thinking of picking up an AVO hose on ebay. They are running about $53

For others who are interested (because i have received PM's on this) Im having trouble getting the intercooler on. Its a bit wider in all dimensions. Not a lot. but just enough to be annoying, and it doesnt seem to be playing with the stock hose very well. but if i get that part right then that might solve the fitment

Just the plain black hose, I took off the little cover/flap at the end of it and put a new clamp on it where it goes onto intercooler.

I suspect, it it's like the other Perrin knockoffs, that it will rub on your banjo bolt on the clutch slave cylinder. It's a pita and never truly fits correctly, IOW, it will require futzing with it to get it lined up, left and right and tipped properly (without causing a leak on the turbo side) to mate the TB hose and not impinge the slave cylinder banjo.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have one of those Rev9 catted downpipes. The fitment of the pipe is perfect. There are two issues you should be aware of:

One thing is that the belmouth is too close to the flange, so the flares on the nuts that bolt to the turbo can't fit on the stud. This was the case on 2 of the 5 nuts. I've seen a bunch of aftermartket downpipes have this issue over the years, so I wouldn't say this is becuse of it being a cheap part. A couple minutes with a dremel before installing is all it takes to grind out a little more clearance.

The other thing is that the cat isn't very effective at cleaning up the exhaust smell. Again, this is common among aftermarket, low cell count, high-flow cats. But just so you're aware, the exhaust smells clean only at cold start. Once you're running, it smells like a catless exhaust when you pull up to a light or come to a stop. I DO have the stock rear O2 sensor in, and the cat codes are still on, and it hasn't triggered a CEL, so it's got that going for it.

Overall I trust the parts for what they are. I would trust the intercooler, but at the same time, my expectations wouldn't be all that high for a $200 part.

• 1 month later...

BE CAREFUL! I could not get my Rev9 intercooler to fit. It was super tight even with the extra length of the after market throttlebody hose. I think im going to order a FMIC because it might be less hassle.

The Rev9 intercooler did have METAL SHAVINGS inside! Not a good thing to shoot into your engine.

After a long time struggling i gave up. Your going to want to make sure your clean the thing out thoroughly if your going to put it on. id suggest a high pressure wash or something to clean it out.

I think i might have been able to get it to fit if i rotated the cold side of the turbo a little. But even after removing the turbo i still couldn't get it on right. I kinda doubt this is the same as the perrin.

Yamon234, I understand where you are coming from on this. I plan on making sure it’s very clean. Other users have had problems because they were installing on a manual transmission car. I will take my time and make sure I do the install correctly.

Yamon234, I understand where you are coming from on this. I plan on making sure it’s very clean. Other users have had problems because they were installing on a manual transmission car. I will take my time and make sure I do the install correctly.

Yeah, something about the brake cylinder or clutch cylinder on the drivers side with the manuals. But fit fine in the 5EAT for me.

Some were saying the throttle body hose wasn't long enough to reach the intercooler but a lot of the videos attach the TB hose FIRST, then swing it around to connect the turbo side...

IIRC its because the original Perrin patterned TMIC was originally test fitted on a 5EAT car...

Lots of people have had fitment issues with this type of design, including myself. There seemed to have been less people with fitment issues with the original Perrin's, but they were still there (the master cylinder clearance and lining up the TB coupler were the top issues).

If you want 100% drop-in solution, stay stock or $$$ for a GS or PW style TMIC.

Archived