LegacyGT.com

No start, no crank, weird sound

Got in my garaged 17 Legacy LTD this morning to go to work. Stepped on the brake pedal, pushed the Start button & nothing happened other than the dashboard lights & radio turned on. The engine didn't even crank. It was as if I put the car in Accessory mode. Tried a few more times with the same result, even trying to start by pressing the Start button with the fob. Nada. On one of the tries w/o it starting, I was able to release the parking brake & I turned off the radio (it turned off completely). Another couple of tries & the engine finally started. I backed out of the garage & turned the car off to test it. It started up. When I got to work, I turned off the radio (something I usually don't do), but it actually didn't turn off this time. The display turned off, but the radio kept playing. I turned the car off to go into work. About 10-15 mins ago I went out to try starting it & it did start, but the radio still won't turn off. I made a svc appt. for tomorrow to have it looked at. My car has the smaller CCA battery which is probably why it struggled to start during the frigid weather we had recently, even in the garage. Will see about having the battery TSB done. Maybe the dealer will replace the battery with the bigger one (fingers crossed).

The car also has a strange sound sometimes when stopping after driving a while. The exhaust (which is where I hear it) sounds like an outboard motor, putt, putt, putt... (misfiring?). I usually hear it after getting out of the car when stopping to get the mail. Very weird. I'll have that checked also, but unless it set a code or they hear it, I don't expect it to get resolved.

The car also has a strange sound sometimes when stopping after driving a while. The exhaust (which is where I hear it) sounds like an outboard motor, putt, putt, putt... (misfiring?). I usually hear it after getting out of the car when stopping to get the mail. Very weird. I'll have that checked also, but unless it set a code or they hear it, I don't expect it to get resolved.

I'm assuming you are hearing this after turning off the engine? Its pretty normal. Its from the metal parts starting to cool down. It's pretty noticeable on the 3.6. Not so much on the 2.5; but you do get some.

I made a svc appt. for tomorrow to have it looked at. My car has the smaller CCA battery which is probably why it struggled to start during the frigid weather we had recently, even in the garage. Will see about having the battery TSB done. Maybe the dealer will replace the battery with the bigger one (fingers crossed).

What dealership are you using?

Mid-Hudson Subaru didn't replace mine just did the computer update.

I'm assuming you are hearing this after turning off the engine? Its pretty normal. Its from the metal parts starting to cool down. It's pretty noticeable on the 3.6. Not so much on the 2.5; but you do get some.

Negative, the engine is still running when I get the putt, putt sound.

What dealership are you using?

Mid-Hudson Subaru didn't replace mine just did the computer update.

The car was leased from Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru, which is where my appt. is, but I have also used Ramsey Subaru where I got my previous Legacy.

Update: Took my car to Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru yesterday & as expected, they didn't find any reason for the car to fail to crank/start on Tues. They claim no codes were set & the battery checked out OK even though the engine has been sluggish to start all winter if temp is below 32. So other than the oil change, they also did 2 updates: audio & ecm. I'll double check, but I don't think the write-up had any update numbers. The service writer said neither had anything to do with the battery update. Guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the no start doesn't happen again. I'll listen for the weird sound when I get home.

Just purchase a battery. Low cost easy solution.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

You're assuming the engine not cranking is a battery issue. I don't think so. The sluggish cranking is a battery issue. However, I'm more concerned with the engine not cranking as everything else electrical appeared to work: dash lights, radio, emergency brake release, interior lights. Yes, those things usually work with a weak battery, but I still want an answer. Besides, the car is only just past 1.5 yrs old. I shouldn't have to buy a battery when the original is supposed to be under warranty. Spring is coming. I'll decide about replacing the battery (maybe) going into next winter.

You're assuming the engine not cranking is a battery issue. I don't think so. The sluggish cranking is a battery issue. However, I'm more concerned with the engine not cranking as everything else electrical appeared to work: dash lights, radio, emergency brake release, interior lights. Yes, those things usually work with a weak battery, but I still want an answer. Besides, the car is only just past 1.5 yrs old. I shouldn't have to buy a battery when the original is supposed to be under warranty. Spring is coming. I'll decide about replacing the battery (maybe) going into next winter.

the subaru battery that they have put in sucks.

really weak on CCA and reserve specs for such a electronics laden car,

and its cold in NY vs. ....alabama.

so if you jump it off a known good battery what do you get.?

if you want to pick your own battery, SOA will reimburse you for your purchase if you call them first. (I like interstate megatron plus with more CCA,...and owners with cars like yours pick one in a slightly different size, ...Napa has interstates if you go in and ask for them at the counter, although they only list napa ledgends on their website).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/391217-gen5-replacing-original-lame-battery-better.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/227930-dead-battery-51.html#post5467274

• 2 months later...

Ive been away from this forum for a while, however I recently picked up a 15 limited and ran into a similar issue. The issue is not the battery, although the stock battery is undersized. I brought mine to the dealer (Balise in Warwick, RI). They originally assumed it was the battery and replaced it with a larger one from a 18 outback. I get home, and have the same issue the next morning. Limited cranking power/no crank over. everything else works as it should. They come pick it up and leave me with a loaner. It was presumed it was the starter relays as unplugging them and plugging them back in fix the issue.

When they requested to swap my car back from the loaner I stressed I did not want to have this uneasy feeling overtime I start my car again, so to be on the safe side as I live around 1.5 hrs from the dealer, they decided to replace the whole ECM along with all the new keys that go with it.

Car has been finished with service and they tested the vehicle for a week with no issues.

Negative, the engine is still running when I get the putt, putt sound.

Also, this is normal. The exhaust pipe from one of the cylinder banks is longer than the other one before the combine into one exhaust pipe.

Here is a good explanation/diagram of it.

Archived