LegacyGT.com

Lane Keep Assist hates my line...

I searched and didn't find anything so asking... Does anyone else find that lane keep assist doesn't like the line they take on curves?

I've got one week on the new car and find that lane keep comes on fairly regularly when I'm in gentle curves on the freeway (specifically 405 between Kirkland and Bothell in Wa). I may be taking a slightly outside line but am only very slightly off center in the lane. Lane departure warnings do not flash when lane keep turns green and tugs on the wheel. Does this happen to others?

Have I just discovered I'm a bad driver after 35 years :). It seems like the lane keep is getting confused by the curvature of the line marking and trying to steer me tighter into the curve than is really needed. Oddly it only happens on very gentle curves, on slightly tighter curves, still maintaining 60+ mph it doesn't happen. The pulse in the steering is no stronger than a sudden cross wind so not a huge deal, still, it is a little unsettling when the car tries to override my steering.

So, is it just me?

... is it just me?

Quite possibly. I haven't experienced anything like you describe in either our 2015 Legacy (LDW only) or 2016 Outback (LDW and LKA). The only change I've made to my driving habits since buying our two Subarus is that I'm now more diligent about signaling lane changes than I used to be.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I try and signal lane changes now more often as well especially with the bump = 3 flashes option. As for lane assist I turned it off. I drive back roads every day with frequent curves and zero to light traffic. I got tired of the warning. I could see where on a highway trip it might be really beneficial though.

I don't have the assist feature, just the lane departure warning that's annoying enough so I disabled that - with the result that I now constantly have a yellow light on in the instrument cluster.
453747.png

I searched and didn't find anything so asking... Does anyone else find that lane keep assist doesn't like the line they take on curves?

So, is it just me?

It's just a matter of getting used to it a little.

The computer basically looks at where your steering is pointed at the given time and where the curve in the road is going. It computes that and comes up with the result that if it continues on the same path for a few more seconds it will be out of the lane, so it makes the correction. It can't imagine that you will provide further steering input in the next couple of seconds.

When you are on a straight road it doesn't really do anything till you are really close to the line.

I frequently drive on winding roads, and I just keep it turned off. The beeping is annoying, and the steering input as you touch the white lines is very annoying.

On the highway or straight roads it’s great. I grew up in Quebec, and those markings on the road are just suggestions, not actual barriers.

I also had an extreme learning curve because of all the years biking. But like everything else in life you can retrain your instinctive habits.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Thanks for the feedback. I’m up to 740 miles on my two week old 3.6 ( I really need to move closer to work) and still experiencing this. I’m starting to wonder if it isn’t correctly detecting the current steering angle. Some of the correction attempts it makes are much sharper than is appropriate for the very gentle curves it tends to trigger on. I’ll keep experimenting and adjusting my steering habits. I’ll ask the dealership but doubt that will go anywhere. I do love this car, just looking for perfection...

PS. I’m very glad I went for the 3.6, when you tell her to get going she really goes.

I grew up in Quebec, and those markings on the road are just suggestions, not actual barriers.

In Quebec I thought street lights and lines are considered more like annoyances 😊. I grew up a few hundred km to the east of you.

So, is it just me?

Same here, first time it kicked on freaked me out. I keep it off now.

Haha, you're freaking me out about EyeSight. I'm actually contemplating not getting it now!
That would be a miscalculation. It could save your life.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Haha, you're freaking me out about EyeSight. I'm actually contemplating not getting it now!

Don’t let my comments turn you off Eyesight. The lane keep assist isn’t great for routine commuting and curvy roads but I will keep it on for any long highway drives. The other features work great. Adaptive cruise is very cool, almost self drive. In two weeks I’ve had the precollision warning fire twice. I didn’t need the car to adjust throttle or brake for me but that extra half second warning was really good to have. In Seattle (area) traffic sudden panic stops and getting cut off by idiots is routine...

Well, here in Northern NJ, I'm no stranger to crushing traffic - it's probably the biggest reason I don't have three pedals.

That being said, yeah, I could see it very useful for highway cruising. I've heard of people that used ACC daily in traffic through urban areas, and the person was complaining that they needed new brake pads at 36k. I'm sure the ACC is not as good as a human that would just take their foot off the gas and coast first instead of brake, but since I've never had a car with ES, I don't know how aggressive the computer is in terms of using brake to modify speed or just reduce throttle input, and then back to the pre-set speed you've assigned.

My cars in the past - my Legacy and Outback are no exception - seem to rev up pretty high (3k ish?) when they go from a slow speed to "RES" with a high speed plugged in; such as, when accelerating away from a toll plaza, and you're doing ~15 mph and the limit is 65.

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

My wife's 2017 Acura RDX has the Acurawatch system, similar to Eyesight.

In her car, adaptive cruise is not full range (shuts down at 20mph as you decelerate I think), but her lane keep is more effective -- it can follow many curves that the Subaru does not, and when it is working to keep you in the lane it actively and subtly centers you in the lane, it does not ping pong you back and forth like the Subaru.

I agree if you want to preserve brake pads and get the best mpg's not to use Eyesight ACC during local short commutes, the system cannot predict ahead of time like a human can and manage the brakes and throttle input super gracefully in a minimal way.

That said, ACC accelerates from a stop a lot more conservatively than a human does, and does not get angry in traffic, so it probably saves a little gas on the other end vs a human driver.

I am about half way thru my 3 year/36k lease, 13,600k on the odometer, and don't plan to buy this car out, so I am not worried about wear and tear on the brakes or the mpg's (now at 26.7 lifetime)

But when I shop for my next car (probably a different brand and a hot hatch) I am definitely going for the full safety suite and full range adaptive cruise. I use it daily, even on my short commute, and override the acceleration from a stop part when I get the urge...

I test drove a new Legacy a while ago and have to say that "Lane assist" seems like a total loss to me....there is a 4 lane stretch of the freeway through part of the city (2 lanes each way divided by a concrete center barrier wall) The lane assist would try to keep you from drifting into the next lane but could not see the concrete wall at all. I let it drift over to the wall a couple of times and it was just on the verge of scraping the wall (Within inches) and no indication from lane assist at all..... What a great safety feature!!! :(:(

I test drove a new Legacy a while ago and have to say that "Lane assist" seems like a total loss to me....there is a 4 lane stretch of the freeway through part of the city (2 lanes each way divided by a concrete center barrier wall) The lane assist would try to keep you from drifting into the next lane but could not see the concrete wall at all. I let it drift over to the wall a couple of times and it was just on the verge of scraping the wall (Within inches) and no indication from lane assist at all..... What a great safety feature!!! :(:(

I might be wrong, but as far as I'm aware "Lane Assist" works on road line markings not concrete walls. Safety features do not completely replace driver alertness and common sense.:)

I might be wrong, but as far as I'm aware "Lane Assist" works on road line markings not concrete walls. Safety features do not completely replace driver alertness and common sense.:)

There is a yellow painted road line all along by the center wall....it is about 6-8 inches from the wall.......... apparently eyesight could not see it:eek:

When I did the test drive the wheel/tire was about 1/2 way between the line and the wall....as I said almost scraping the wall....no response from Eyesight or Lane assist at all :(

3VixbdC.jpg

Edited by Scooby Fan

There is a yellow painted road line all along by the center wall....it is about 6-8 inches from the wall.......... apparently eyesight could not see it:eek:

When I did the test drive the wheel/tire was about 1/2 way between the line and the wall....as I said almost scraping the wall....no response from Eyesight or Lane assist at all :(

3VixbdC.jpg

I can see your point now that you have included that photo ... I didn't pick up the part about the yellow line in your earlier post. I made a call to Subaru Australia just now, and mentioned your post to them. Their reply was that "Lane Departure Assist" should have picked up that yellow line, and they suggest that you take it up with your dealer because there may be a fault with your Eyesight. They said that the Japanese made Subaru's cars supplied to us here in Australia are designed to pick up the lines that you are talking about, and they assume the US built vehicles should also do that .... so that's why they are recommending you take it up with the dealer .

One problem is that the line colors and styles differs between countries.

The US has yellow center lines and white side lines, Sweden has all white lines except in construction zones where there are yellow lines. Norway has similar lines as the US has... So the system has to work well with most styles and also disregard certain lines to avoid nasty surprises.

453747.png

One problem is that the line colors and styles differs between countries.

The US has yellow center lines and white side lines, Sweden has all white lines except in construction zones where there are yellow lines. Norway has similar lines as the US has... So the system has to work well with most styles and also disregard certain lines to avoid nasty surprises.

During my conversation with Subaru Australia I actually mentioned that the line in question was yellow, and they said the color should not be a problem and that Eyesight would operate regardless of colors. They did mention the usual things that are listed in the manual that could cause problems, but line colors was not amongst these.

On the '16 and up, it shows in the dash when ES picks up the lane markings. As to why it didn't pick up, it could be a multitude of reasons; lighting being one.

Unlike some of the other manufacturers, the ES system does not try to keep you in the center of the lane. It will let you drift around within the lane quiet a bit before engaging the LKA or the LDW.

I can see your point now that you have included that photo ... I didn't pick up the part about the yellow line in your earlier post. I made a call to Subaru Australia just now, and mentioned your post to them. Their reply was that "Lane Departure Assist" should have picked up that yellow line, and they suggest that you take it up with your dealer because there may be a fault with your Eyesight. They said that the Japanese made Subaru's cars supplied to us here in Australia are designed to pick up the lines that you are talking about, and they assume the US built vehicles should also do that .... so that's why they are recommending you take it up with the dealer .

Nothing to talk to the dealer about.... I did not buy the car, but not just for the eyesight issues.....Just threw it in here as a slightly different point of view.

BTW I have test driven 2 Legacys and one Forester all with Eyesight and do not like it all....too many false warnings and too many missed actions like the issue I detailed in my original post.... Just not for me. I have a nicely modded 2013 (Non Eyesight) 3.6R LTD. and will have it for many years to come.:cool:

qazq0UT.jpg