LegacyGT.com

Might buy 2011 3.6R

Probably worse then Bridgestone Turanza. This car has Bridgestone "Ecopia" tires. the meat isnt that bad on them. Seems over due for a rotate, I'll get that tended to soon. Started getting a little nice so I had a chance to get it washed. I need to fix multiple little rock hits and door dings. Any tips on subaru touch up paint? Sometimes the fix looks uglier then leaving it, I guess unless you finish it good (buffing it down, extremely light sand?) Thats the latest, found the drain holes in the trunk, slight surface rust is starting to show around the hole.

Today: Little Hum, No shimmy. (getting to sound like a weather report)

-me

Tomorrow: Light sun visor rattle, tapering off into squeak of passenger seat. :lol:

When people talk about rattles, I just say, It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.

I have a few spots to attend to as well. Mines black though so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I highly recommend when you get the spare cash to get a tune. I reloaded to stock because I'm about to go into for dealer work and this throttle mapping is just God awful. I also forgot how low the stock idle is. Almost feels like it wants to bog down sometimes.

As far as shit shimmy at highway speeds. My 2010 3.6 is worse on some roads as opposed to others. Sometimes I don't have a shimmy, and sometimes I do. It may not even be the same shimmy everyone describes, but I feel something. Tires were just balanced, but not road force. I want new wheels, a few have curb rash from the previous owner so they arent in the greatest shape.

Is it pain in the ass to put one of these in? 15375275_0.jpg

One of these days I'm going to drop in fogs, thinking I might hit the junk yard for the handle. Hope I can find a good junked car close by to pick apart. Unless someone has a better idea for a turnkey system other then the stock option that wont break the bank. Which brings me to something really funny I saw the other day. I actually saw a a car that had "printed" fog lights taped in place, perhaps just for selling pics but I got a serious belly roll out of it =). I'd also like the upgraded rear view mirror. Another thing I noticed, my steering wheel lights for the buttons dont light up, Wire connection? or fused?

-me

If you want to add fogs, rather than messing with trying to change out the stalk, it might easier to go with the type with the in-dash button. You just swap out the small switch module containing the mirror adjustment knob. Your car should already have wiring behind the bumper, you just need this replacement switch, this relay in the fuse box, and the bezels and foglights themselves. There's an OEM available kit for it.

TJkgymv.thumb.jpg.9bd411421248cd382c09a7cbadd0042d.jpg

The OEM fog light accessory (dash switch) is probably more common than the OEM foglight stalk. Those were only standard on 2012-2014 Limited & (2013/2014) Sports. All models that didn't have them standard had to buy them as an accessory with the dash switch.

Todays Subaru: Think I may have more insight into the shimmy. The hum is still there. Something I did find and it may be disturbing. In park when I bring the RPM up to 2K I am getting a shake (vibration) that I also feel doing 60 on the road which is the same RPM. Next option for me is to change plugs (thinking of NGK), and wires. I understand that coils can be an issue with these cars, but plugs and wires are things should be tended to first off considering I have no idea when that stuff was last done. I hope its nothing more serious in the motor having a shake at that RPM range. Doesnt do it above or below 2K. Dont see it being part of the rotating assy (torque converter/harmonic balancer) else it would be across the range? Disturbing.

-me

When you say you took it to 2k and felt a shake, was that in Park or Neutral or in gear?

There are no wires, but fresh plugs will help if they have never been changed. There is a spring inside the boot between the coil and the plug with a rod (carbon I think). Giving these a little stretch can help restore their contact. Check the tops potting of the coils for cracks, if you have a cracked one its going bad. I'd get it up in the air and give a hard look.

While in park. It also seems to be the same sort of shake in gear @ 2K doing 60ish only more pronounced. Havent tried neutral yet (to late to try at the moment), Ill also try going through the gears while at speed tomorrow see whats what. haha no wires, shows you how much I know about this car already. havent had a spare moment to even get back under the hood yet.

Sad owner so far in the fact I havent looked at my baby yet.

-me

pretty sure the humming is from the poor quality of the bridgestone ecopia ep422 tires on there. Did a little research and a bit of complaints out there regarding these tires and sound. There supposed to have better gas mileage, so I guess for now I'll just drive them until there bologna skins, and dump money into other things. I'd rather do things like fogs, and headlights (does after market still burn out as fast like originals?), brakes and suspension. Plenty of things to read up on this site.

Tried Lucas FI cleaner and B12.. opinions?

Ohhh one more thing I thought of (get thinking caps on) If I had a tire on the car that had less meat on it then say the other 3, would wrapping a tailors tape around the tire itself to get the same circumferences using different pressure to the 1 tire work out to make up the difference? Digging a bit and stupid but I think of strange stuff =)

-me

Probably worse then Bridgestone Turanza. This car has Bridgestone "Ecopia" tires. the meat isnt that bad on them. Seems over due for a rotate, I'll get that tended to soon. Started getting a little nice so I had a chance to get it washed. I need to fix multiple little rock hits and door dings. Any tips on subaru touch up paint? Sometimes the fix looks uglier then leaving it, I guess unless you finish it good (buffing it down, extremely light sand?) Thats the latest, found the drain holes in the trunk, slight surface rust is starting to show around the hole.

Today: Little Hum, No shimmy. (getting to sound like a weather report)

-me

All of my Subaru wear Bridgestone Turenza Serenity + and I am VERY pleased with them. Discount Tire rates them as BEST construction wise...

I love mine. I'm at 78k now.

Make sure the transmission fluid has been drain and refilled. I usually follow every 20k miles or so with this. At that mileage if it's never been done it might actually hurt more than help. I can't say for sure.

I'm not sure if anyone has done a change to this. Lets assume it hasnt been ever changed (it looks clean and doesnt smell burnt). Is it recommended at this point 98K? I have heard some opinions that say not to change, others say flush and change. Any thoughts along these lines? I tried the tranny thread but there are like 10000 messages there. Brake fluid looks fair probably should be changed along with the PS fluid and diffs. All waiting for a nice day. I HATE the cold.

-me

Given the cars age...

PS fluid every 12-18 months (drain/syphon and fill, use a Dexron VI synthetic)

Brake fluid every 18-24 months (depending on climate and fluid used)

ATF drain and fill every 15K first few times, then every 30K (no harm starting now given what you are seeing)

Super Coolant drain and fill every 5-7 years (aka now if its never been done)

Given the cars age...

PS fluid every 12-18 months (drain/syphon and fill, use a Dexron VI synthetic)

Brake fluid every 18-24 months (depending on climate and fluid used)

ATF drain and fill every 15K first few times, then every 30K (no harm starting now given what you are seeing)

Super Coolant drain and fill every 5-7 years (aka now if its never been done)

IMO your some maintenance intervals are on the aggressive side and higher than the suggested Subaru maintenance intervals.

PS fluid changes every 12-18months? I happen to be just look at the power steering service intervals for my GT while I am doing my timing belt. Subaru doesn't list an interval in the service manual. The have a 15k miles inspection of the power steering, but if you drill down further doesn't have the inspection of the fluid only the steering components. Even the power steering section doesn't mention an interval. It is not going to hurt and probably is a good idea to change the power steering fluid @100k miles. Subaru recommends Dextron III fluid in the service manual. If you do it yourself by sucking out the fluid it is pretty easy to change and inexpensive, but I don't think the power steering fluid itself is under that much stress, and I would not put it as the priority in changing fluids.

Suabru's Brake fluid flush is 30k miles or 2 years. More aggressive intervals are usually for those owners doing track days and those using their vehicle in an extreme duty. The interval is probably fine for most daily drivers, I have found many vehicles with over 100k miles that have never had their brake fluid flushed.

Subaru inspection for ATF is every 30k. I don't have an automatic Subaru, but on my other daily driver vehicles, I have change the fluid at 60k miles (even when the manufacturer doesn't specify an interval). I change my automatic ATF on my cars that I race at the dragstrip every 15k miles. If you do transmission fluid flush I wouldn't bother a quicker 2nd change. If just draining the pan one could justify doing a 2nd quick change since all the fluid transmission fluid does not swapped with a drain plug change or just start change every 30k miles. Plenty of vehicle goes 200k on the original ATF fluid, but that it isn't the maintenance interval I would follow.

The Subaru Coolant interval is 11 year or 137,500 miles for the 1st change and 6 years/75k miles there after, one could change it quicker (I am doing mine at the 105k timing belt interval). I assume the shorter interval is because not all the coolant gets flushed with the 1st change.

An aggressive maintenance schedules will scare off owners from doing some fluid intervals that probably should be done. Those who aren't mechanically incline these many of these services are $100-$200 services each. My opinion is to follow Subaru's maintenance intervals. My exception would be to change the differential fluid once at 30k miles to get the break in metal out and start replacing ATF/CVT at 60k miles. Do the power steering around 100k or with the coolant.

Forget the recommended intervals.

These cars are anywhere between 5-8 years old now (in the OPs case ~7 years old).

The PS fluid, especially if still stock (non-synthetic Dexron III) should be flush/filled every year or at least every two years if you want to be conservative about it. Its very easy to change and cheap too so why not? The way the PS system is setup on these cars the fluid takes a beating even with regular driving.

Brake fluid - similar story. After 2 years there is enough moisture in it that the boiling point is meh (especially in our/your climate). This only gets worse with 'better' DOT4 fluids. The cost of good ATE or similar fluid and bleeding the brakes is similar to an oil change (if not less). Cheap preventive maintenance item.

ATF/CVTF fluid should be drained and filled at 30K, maybe even 15K on the newer HT-CVT cars. Then every 30K or 2 years, whichever comes first. This will keep the slushboxes more or less happy (lower average operating temps thanks to aux coolers, radiator bypass help even more). Subaru can recommend whatever they want. They're in the business of luring people in for a trade-in/up to a 2018 Ascent, not keeping a 2011 3.6R, 2012 LGT unicorn or a 2005 LGT running.

As for the Super Coolant, yes, since the OPs car is 7 years old and likely hasn't had the coolant flushed - I think its another useful maintenance item to tackle at some point in the near future and forget it for another 6-7 years or until the original radiator hoses or radiator gives out (whichever comes first).

Diff fluids - yes, I'd also vote for a switch @ 30K to any decent spec-meeting synthetic and then perhaps every 30-60K depending on what it looks like and where/how the car is used in between. Since the car is just north of 100K, its likely a good idea to look at the diff fluids and likely replace them.

On the other hand, I agree that these are by no means recommended maintenance intervals, just suggestions for a Eastern seaboard 2011 3.6R with a questionable service/maintenance record.

Anyone can opt to follow the SoA intervals, half them, extend them (after switching to better fluids) or just ignore maintenance intervals and all fluid changes as many owners of these cars (the 90% off this and other forums) do.

• 4 months later...

Ok.... so my leggy 3.6r has been totalled. Since i drove it a while, i fell in love with it. So... ill be needing another legacy 3.6r loaded, in the NY tri-state area. Any leads please inform. Im sad not to have it and the sentra rental just blows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ok.... so my leggy 3.6r has been totalled. Since i drove it a while, i fell in love with it. So... ill be needing another legacy 3.6r loaded, in the NY tri-state area. Any leads please inform. Im sad not to have it and the sentra rental just blows.

There's this one in the member classifieds: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D270560&share_tid=270560&share_fid=5383&share_type=t

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

damn man, 6 months and totaled. that's rough. good luck with the search for a new one

Archived