LegacyGT.com

Wiper Blades and Eyesight Technology

I have my gently used 2017 Legacy for a few weeks now. I bought it with 4K miles on it. I have been thinking about changing the wiper blades. The owner's manual for the Eyesight Technology states only Subaru wiper blades should be used otherwise they may interfere with Eyesight. Has anyone used wiper blades other than Subaru blades with Eyesight? If so, any issues? My blade of choice is the Bosch Icons; they are quiet, keep the windshield clean with no streaks and they last longer than other brands.

Additionally, Amazon shows the driver's blade is 26" and passenger blade is 17". Is that correct? I do not see specs in the owner's manual.

@YeuEmMaiMai said.

You should follow manufacturers recommendation(specification) in most cases especially when considering oil, coolant, transmission, windshield, etc.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I just replace the inserts. If you want OEM ones:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142176909455?chn=ps

but I just get the cheap $2-3 ones and replace them as needed since they are so cheap. You can get any size and just cut them to the right length by hand. The cheap pair I got usually last 6 months to a year and have worked just as well as the ones that came on the car.

@YeuEmMaiMai said.

You should follow manufacturers recommendation(specification) in most cases especially when considering oil, coolant, transmission, windshield, etc.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

a good quality wiper will meet/exceed Subaru's expectations/requirements. Personally I use winter blades as the snow and ice to not stick to them...unlike the factory ones

I have my gently used 2017 Legacy for a few weeks now. I bought it with 4K miles on it. I have been thinking about changing the wiper blades. The owner's manual for the Eyesight Technology states only Subaru wiper blades should be used otherwise they may interfere with Eyesight. Has anyone used wiper blades other than Subaru blades with Eyesight? If so, any issues? My blade of choice is the Bosch Icons; they are quiet, keep the windshield clean with no streaks and they last longer than other brands.

Additionally, Amazon shows the driver's blade is 26" and passenger blade is 17". Is that correct? I do not see specs in the owner's manual.

As long as the blades have the correct length so they sweep the area covered by the eyesight system you'd be fine.

453747.png

Wiper inserts are covered under the 3 years / 36k miles bumper-to-bumper warranty. I typically get them replaced yearly for free, during this period. Takes only a few minutes - my local dealer typically has someone run out to the parking lot and replace the inserts there, since I don't usually get any other maintenance done there.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I've never heard of wiper blade inserts (rubber) being covered before nor has anyone I've ever met known this lol. That's interesting since they aren't really designed to last 3 years. Good to know though - Live and learn! Although for where my dealer is, it is cheaper to buy them and replace them myself then the cost in gas to drive to and from the dealer for "free."

I've never heard of wiper blade inserts (rubber) being covered before nor has anyone I've ever met known this lol. That's interesting since they aren't really designed to last 3 years. Good to know though - Live and learn! Although for where my dealer is, it is cheaper to buy them and replace them myself then the cost in gas to drive to and from the dealer for "free."

I didn't know for my first new Subie, but found out halfway through the bumper-to-bumper warranty on my second warranty. Dealer didn't give me any issues with replacement.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I've never heard of wiper blade inserts (rubber) being covered ...

Another good reason to read the Warranty and Maintenance Guide delivered with each new Subaru. The wiper blades are in there.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Another good reason to read the Warranty and Maintenance Guide delivered with each new Subaru. The wiper blades are in there.

Even in the sales brochure it lists items covered under Wear Item Limited Warranty: Wiper Blades, Brake Pads, Clutch Liners and Transmitter Batteries

Thanks, I haven't been through all my owner's manual yet. This car has more manuals than my last 3 combined with 2 each for Eysesight, Sound system, Starlink etc.!

This car has more manuals than my last 3 combined with 2 each for Eysesight, Sound system, Starlink etc.!

You don't have to memorize them, but even just skimming them lets you know what kind of information is available and where you can find it later.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Just priced ICONs.. 58 bucks. I guess the OEMs are not near as good but can't beat the price.... (warranty)

My last Owners manual was two books for a total of 600 pages. I get the PDF and review but no, I have never sat down and read the manual. But it is a great reference and usually I find something/feature I did not know the car even had.

Just priced ICONs.. 58 bucks. I guess the OEMs are not near as good but can't beat the price.... (warranty)

My last Owners manual was two books for a total of 600 pages. I get the PDF and review but no, I have never sat down and read the manual. But it is a great reference and usually, I find something/feature I did not know the car even had.

I ordered them from Amazon Prime (before seeing they were covered by warranty) for $41.28 shipped to my home!

Archived