LegacyGT.com

06 Spec B - Anyone had to deal with this before?

It's been a loooong time since I was here. Still owner of #361. 229,233 glorious miles.

I am posting here because I do not know where else to turn...I was rear-ended on the highway two weeks ago. I am fine. My car? not so much. Insurance company has been pushing to total it, and gave me a ridiculously low value. Their system called up comps to other "Spec B" models that did not have manual transmission. Clearly not Spec Bs. :mad:

In any case, has anyone here had to deal with an insurance claim on a 2006 Spec B? And if so, how did you get them to value it properly? I've provided all records and a couple current listings. If I can get them to come up closer to the car's market value (listings I have are for $13K, $12K, and $7K), then it would not be considered totaled.)

Sad to say, it is appearing more and more likely that the guy who hit me is going to cost me my awesome car. :icon_cry:

Help me, LGT Forums. You're my only hope.

(Thanks in advance for any and all advice.)

Zach (AKA Moosedaddy - Spec B #361)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/insurance-and-you-266208.html

He may have some info ...

Sorry to hear that.

I'm waiting to hear back about my 05 GT wagon. The other guy told the cop he never saw me as he merged into my lane and crushed the right side.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=260858&thumb=1&d=1516228917

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks so much. I did all those things, thankfully. The talk to a supervisor thing is next. SUPER frustrating....especially when their "comps" are 2.5i Limiteds....all within 120 miles of me!!

Thanks again....sucks about your car, too!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/insurance-and-you-266208.html

He may have some info ...

Sorry to hear that.

I'm waiting to hear back about my 05 GT wagon. The other guy told the cop he never saw me as he merged into my lane and crushed the right side.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=260858&thumb=1&d=1516228917

Sorry to hear about the accident. At least you're OK. If you can't get them to adjust the price maybe you can buy it back and repair it?

This weekend I became aware of how little value the market has for these cars. My 2005 OB XT is probably worth $4K - $5K on the private party market, considerably less on the trade in.

Pics of your damage?

Send your comps to the adjuster, and ask for a rebuttal. You have the option of going through your own carrier too to see if they'll give you a better deal. Then they'll pursue the other guy's insurance.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Pics of your damage?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JMVNHmEfhPMqgUZU9s-7CNQPiDSbwklF/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w-sSdKUMssWrljYgm2Asn9J1KiK1a7L3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12NJQ_ZAdDGzTQNIyv2aPO7DzwLZ4x1oj/view?usp=sharing

[Apologies - I tried to upload files, but got an error message]

Send your comps to the adjuster, and ask for a rebuttal. You have the option of going through your own carrier too to see if they'll give you a better deal. Then they'll pursue the other guy's insurance.

Yeah...I am working with my carrier now. I am overwhelming them with information.

The other carrier was not responsive. Do you recommend I pursue it through them, too?

FWIW, I have been compiling a spreadsheet on all 2006 Spec Bs currently for sale that I can find. So far, I have five of them, though one is a salvage title (with only 50K miles!!):

• 013/500
  • 089/500
  • 250/500
  • 307/500
  • 398/500

In any case, THANK YOU.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JMVNHmEfhPMqgUZU9s-7CNQPiDSbwklF/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w-sSdKUMssWrljYgm2Asn9J1KiK1a7L3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12NJQ_ZAdDGzTQNIyv2aPO7DzwLZ4x1oj/view?usp=sharing

[Apologies - I tried to upload files, but got an error message]

Yeah...I am working with my carrier now. I am overwhelming them with information.

The other carrier was not responsive. Do you recommend I pursue it through them, too?

FWIW, I have been compiling a spreadsheet on all 2006 Spec Bs currently for sale that I can find. So far, I have five of them, though one is a salvage title (with only 50K miles!!):

• 013/500
  • 089/500
  • 250/500
  • 307/500
  • 398/500

In any case, THANK YOU.

Chain reaction rear-ender, or did you rear end the car in front first?

It does look totaled, you probably need new radiator supports.

Pursue everybody and take the best deal. If your insurance provides the best offer, take theirs. If the other company offers the best deal, take theirs. Your insurance will pursue reimbursement through a process called subrogation on your behalf. It's not really something you have to worry about.

2006s will provide the best comps, but you can go up a couple years too, we have ways to dock or add some money for mileage differences and minor year differences.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Why limit yourself to just 2006 Spec Bs? Wouldn't any 4th generation Legacy Spec B be comparable?

Thanks. I appreciate the thought.

Perhaps, but I am not getting into that discussion with the insurance company.

It widens the door to what is considered comparable, and they have been focused on Special Edition and LGT as comps (!!).

The 07 added SI drive and some other things...and then 08 and 09 have some changes, right? I'd rather stick with pure apples to apples. With the 06 I can say 500 were made. I can say they are all identical other than a few dealer add-ons. If I expand it, it could hurt more than help I think......

In any case, thank you.

Chain reaction rear-ender, or did you rear end the car in front first?

Chain reaction. SUV in front of me was stopping and so was I...Guy behind me did not stop. I was hit and pushed into the SUV.

Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Thanks. I appreciate the thought.

Perhaps, but I am not getting into that discussion with the insurance company.

It widens the door to what is considered comparable, and they have been focused on Special Edition and LGT as comps (!!).

The 07 added SI drive and some other things...and then 08 and 09 have some changes, right? I'd rather stick with pure apples to apples. With the 06 I can say 500 were made. I can say they are all identical other than a few dealer add-ons. If I expand it, it could hurt more than help I think......

In any case, thank you.

I think it would help you actually. The 6 speed cars are generally worth more and probably a better representation as to what your car is worth.

My original damage estimate exceeded the NADA value of the car. I presented the appraiser $25K in receipts of things I had done to the car. (including $11,400 engine)

I got hit on the way home from picking the car up with the brand new engine, turbo, headers, injectors, etc... So mine is a bit different. But ultimately they decided it was easier to value the car more and fix the damage than it was to try and call it a total loss and the fight me over the correct value of the vehicle.

User name Dishwasher was very helpful throughout the entire process. You should definitely call your insurance at this point and they might value the car in a way that would allow it to be fixed. Does your state have the %75 law?

I looked at the NADA and they are no longer adding for Spec.B in 2006, which is not good for arguing your value. For some reason NADA only listed the Spec.b as an option on a GT in 2006 while 2007-2009 where Spec.b models where their own models. 229,000 miles isn't helping the value with especially if your arguing for collector status of being limited edition. I would still try.

As cautionary tales for others, if you wanted it insure for more, you should have more insurance on the vehicle before it was in accident. I do this with one of my boats where the book value is 1/3 of its actual value. I used to do it with one of my other vehicle before I could get collector insurance. It wasn't much extra money per year.

I looked at the NADA and they are no longer adding for Spec.B in 2006, which is not good for arguing your value. For some reason NADA only listed the Spec.b as an option on a GT in 2006 while 2007-2009 where Spec.b models where their own models. 229,000 miles isn't helping the value with especially if your arguing for collector status of being limited edition. I would still try.

As cautionary tales for others, if you wanted it insure for more, you should have more insurance on the vehicle before it was in accident. I do this with one of my boats where the book value is 1/3 of its actual value. I used to do it with one of my other vehicle before I could get collector insurance. It wasn't much extra money per year.

Can you expand upon what you mean by this? Are you referring to upgrades / aftermarket parts? Or can you insure a stock vehicle for more than its market value and, if so, how would that work in the event you had to file a claim?

Yeah I would still use the comps, NADA on 2007 Spec B's is $11k.

Sunny is talking about a "stated value" policy. Basically you and the insurer agree at the inception of the policy that the value of the car is x amount, and that if it's totaled you get x amount. It's unlikely an insurer would underwrite such a policy for a 12 year old Subaru, but you can always ask. They are more typical with boats, and collector cars (I know "we" think Spec.B's are collector cars, but most insurers don't.)

Specialty insurers like Hagerty Insurance are better equipped to insure collector vehicles and modified vehicles. I use Progressive which has endorsements for modified vehicles. I don't work for Progressive, and frankly I don't even like them, but they do have the policy endorsement that I like, and the price was right.

You're doing the right thing by screenshotting comps on autotrader or whatever. It's a collectible car, and the adjuster handling your claim probably doesn't have a lot of experience with unique cars. Keep pushing, they'll cave.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Can you expand upon what you mean by this? Are you referring to upgrades / aftermarket parts? Or can you insure a stock vehicle for more than its market value and, if so, how would that work in the event you had to file a claim?

I did stated a value but my vehicle was considered collectible and their were 2 NADA books values at the time (regular and classic and the value was almost double for the classic). If NADA is going appraise Spec.b for 6k minus mileage, I don't think the insurance will have a problem doing $10-11k especially with comps and 2007 spec.b values. Obvious you would want to discuss it with your insurance agent. My insurance agent fortunately is a car guy and someone I know from car circles.

Yeah I would still use the comps, NADA on 2007 Spec B's is $11k.

Sunny is talking about a "stated value" policy. Basically you and the insurer agree at the inception of the policy that the value of the car is x amount, and that if it's totaled you get x amount. It's unlikely an insurer would underwrite such a policy for a 12 year old Subaru, but you can always ask. They are more typical with boats, and collector cars (I know "we" think Spec.B's are collector cars, but most insurers don't.)

Specialty insurers like Hagerty Insurance are better equipped to insure collector vehicles and modified vehicles. I use Progressive which has endorsements for modified vehicles. I don't work for Progressive, and frankly I don't even like them, but they do have the policy endorsement that I like, and the price was right.

You're doing the right thing by screenshotting comps on autotrader or whatever. It's a collectible car, and the adjuster handling your claim probably doesn't have a lot of experience with unique cars. Keep pushing, they'll cave.

What would be the benefit of a stated value policy on a regular vehicle? By regular I mean something that was just an ordinary, unmodified daily driver type vehicle? I can see the benefit of something that has been reasonably modified or a special circumstance.

What would be the benefit of a stated value policy on a regular vehicle? By regular I mean something that was just an ordinary, unmodified daily driver type vehicle? I can see the benefit of something that has been reasonably modified or a special circumstance.

I would think about doing a stated value if your OBXT was in immaculately clean showroom condition (even if it was stock) where the value of the vehicle was not accurately portrayed. If its a ordinary stock daily driven vehicle that is in good shape, I usually don't bother.

Well stated value policies are impervious to market fluctuations. That being said I am unaware of any carrier that would underwrite a stated value policy for a stock 2005 Chevy Malibu (as an example of a regular vehicle), or if they did, the premium would not be worth it.

They are typically reserved for specialty vehicles, boats, highly modified vehicles and classics.

Brought to you by Pfizer

I would think about doing a stated value if your OBXT was in immaculately clean showroom condition (even if it was stock) where the value of the vehicle was not accurately portrayed. If its a ordinary stock daily driven vehicle that is in good shape, I usually don't bother.

I'm not interested in such a policy. In fact I am thinking of dropping full coverage on my OBXT as its value doesn't appear to be worth the additional premium. KBB puts the private party value at $4K - $5K. I might be able to get a little more as they're popular here in CO.

Well stated value policies are impervious to market fluctuations. That being said I am unaware of any carrier that would underwrite a stated value policy for a stock 2005 Chevy Malibu (as an example of a regular vehicle), or if they did, the premium would not be worth it.

They are typically reserved for specialty vehicles, boats, highly modified vehicles and classics.

That was my understanding and it makes sense. For a car being used as a DD, as the OP is doing, it didn't appear as if there was value so I thought I'd ask to see if I was missing something.

Yeah, most policies are actual cash value policies. Actual cash value is typically determined by NADA being averaged with a few comps in your locale. It's pretty transparent, and your insurer should provide you with a copy of how they got their number. Usually a CCC market report or something along those lines.

Brought to you by Pfizer

In fact I am thinking of dropping full coverage on my OBXT as its value doesn't appear to be worth the additional premium.

I would not do that unless it was a car that you did not care if got $0 for. I had a car that I dropped full coverage on, thinking I would just be responsible if the accident was my fault. It was such a hassle to deal with the other insurance company. The cliff notes of the accident were - it was clear cut it was the other drivers fault, the other insurance company ruled it 50-50, they gave me a ridiculous evaluation for my car (The 1st check was for $350!) from some book I had never heard of. I had to appeal to the MA insurance board to get a fair book $3k value and bring them to small claims court to get the 50-50 over ruled. Never again

Archived