LegacyGT.com

Why do my headlights only work when turned to this icon on my stalk?

Hey there guys. I just recently installed the fog light kit on my 2015 Subaru Legacy and I noticed that the low beams only turn on when turned to the icon showed in the first picture. They no longer turn on when turned to the headlight icon (2nd picture). However, the red lighting on the buttons in the interior do turn on. Is this normal behavior after installing the fog lights? I know this question probably seems silly, but please help me understand lol. Also as a side note, I believe that my low beams are aimed a bit lower and seem less brighter (just them replaced them with leds 2 months ago). Thanks guys!8e2ea8558c2da8956a83240f6d6088fa.jpg55349b178f3cd739561dda9a83b6946e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

... I noticed that the low beams only turn on when turned to the icon showed in the first picture. They no longer turn on when turned to the headlight icon (2nd picture).

I think you need to re-read the Owners Manual, page 3-42. What you describe is normal operation. From the bottom, the four headlight switch positions are: OFF, AUTO (i.e. auto ON/OFF), parking/side marker lights only, ON.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The low beams should not be on when the switch is turned to the position shown in your second picture. Only the first picture will result in the low beams coming on (other than at night in auto mode).

There are 4 positions for that switch:

Off (self-explanatory)

Auto (self-explanatory)

Position (Low beam is NOT powered, DRL stays on, front position & tail lights come on)

Headlamps On (Low beam powered, front position function powered, tail lights on, DRL shuts off)

It is beyond explanation that anyone can spend $30,000+ and never open a manual especially for something as easy as light switch. I would be ashamed to post my ......... Or ...........

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

In the poster's defense, I'm sure glad that Subaru got rid of that parking light on top of the steering wheel. Guys at the car wash love hitting that and then the battery's dead the next morning!

For your second question:

LED's aren't going to throw as much light as a car built for halogens will. This is probably why it's not appearing as bright. Unless you had a tool to measure lumens/lux/etc...

I'd suggest you pop the old bulbs back in. Weird things happened to my Outback which was made for incandescent when I put LED's in there.

OMG. I just hope that the OP did not have the car for almost 3 years and only now notice that the headlight does not turn ON in that position.

This probably also partly explains why I see more and more people these days driving on the streets with their DRLs... and then you have useless legislators pushing for MV inspections

He mentioned that he installed the fog light kit... Where is the switch for the fogs when they are not a factory installed option?? Does the kit come with a new stalk or is it in the button cluster to the lower left of the steering wheel like previous generations??

There isn’t a fog switch on that stalk. Just a thought, but is there any chance that when he turns his headlights on, only his fogs are turning on. Hence why they are aimed lower and less bright. Not talking trash, but after reading his post, the OP does not appear to be a car person. Is it possible it is wired incorrectly causing just his fogs to be on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that switch would be in the console to the left of the steering wheel where the VDC, etc buttons are, there is a blank spot for it.

OP

from top to bottom on the left stalk

Top position = head lights on

2nd down = parking lights

3rd down = automatic mode. headlights turn on and off according to sensed light level

4th down = off

OMG. I just hope that the OP did not have the car for almost 3 years and only now notice that the headlight does not turn ON in that position.

This probably also partly explains why I see more and more people these days driving on the streets with their DRLs... and then you have useless legislators pushing for MV inspections

I would not be surprised. I see bunch of Subarus around where I live going around only with their DRLs at night. No matter how many times you flash them they have no idea what the heck is going on...... :spin:

I would not be surprised. I see bunch of Subarus around where I live going around only with their DRLs at night. No matter how many times you flash them they have no idea what the heck is going on...... :spin:

Yep. Don't think its limited to Subarus. I've seen them all, Fords, Hondas, Toyotas...

I think all cars should be manufactured to default to auto when it starts up and if you don’t want it, you have to manually switch it to off.

But for now, it’s good pc for me to stop cars when on night shift. Lol

That's the problem with newer cars that have fancy LED/LCD pre-lit controls/screens/gauges, combined with DRL's, is that idiot drivers don't realize that their headlights (and tail lights) aren't on in the dark.

Many drivers seem very selfish when they fail to use their lights, as lights are "to see and be seen". They just don't care enough, in my opinion.

You can say, "hey, they just forgot". But when you drive a car, there are lots of things to "remember" like following traffic laws, adding gas, and yes, putting lights on, along with turn signals.

This could start a huge rant. I hope it doesn't.

The one thing I noticed by keeping the lights always on "auto" is that in the winter the car really sounds like it's struggling to turn over (it has never not started though) because the lights turn on during cracking instead of after ignition. I typically turn the headlights to the off position while I'm starting the car then turn them back to auto and the car cranks easier and starts faster. I would think they would program the lights to turn on after starting when in the auto position just to reduce demand on the battery, but I guess they figure as long as it starts most people don't really care.

I agree that they should always default to auto. The auto headlights are sufficient for 99% of what a typical driver would experience especially since the sensitivity for when they turn on is a user selected option.

I think all cars should be manufactured to default to auto when it starts up and if you don’t want it, you have to manually switch it to off.

That's the problem with newer cars that have fancy LED/LCD pre-lit controls/screens/gauges, combined with DRL's, is that idiot drivers don't realize that their headlights (and tail lights) aren't on in the dark.

Thats it. The only time that I had wished the gauges were lit up during the day was when driving into the sun at dusk, which is like less than 5% of the time, and even then it was just a flick of a switch and not really a safety issue (other than speeding, maybe).

In the older cars you'd notice pretty quickly that you can't see anything in the gauge cluster (unless you are really that dumb) and at least turn them to the parking lights position which would turn on the tail lights. I think the most dangerous part of driving with DRLs is that the tail lights are off.

Mercedes Cars do that today. They are either in "Auto" or Full on position. You do not have an option to turn off the headlights.

I always have the selector in the headlights on position since they turn off when I turn off the ignition anyway.

I turn the headlights on and off manually. All it takes is someone else to turn off your lights (Service, valet & etc) and you are running around with no headlights which I think is the case why most people go around with no lights.

Mercedes Cars do that today. They are either in "Auto" or Full on position. You do not have an option to turn off the headlights.

I didn't like that. My old toyota did that. If you were camping or something, there was no way of turning off the headlights (other than turning off the car, engaging the parking brake. Start the car again and this time not fully release the parking brake so that sensor doesn't trip and then continue driving)

They also had issues with folks on military bases that had these cars and they couldn't turn off the lights when approaching security checkpoints at night. Toyota offered a fix by disabling the auto headlights all together. and I didn't want to do that either :spin:

Folks just gotta pay more attention when driving, but then again in reality that doesn't happen. I don't think it will be long before they pass regulation requiring headlights and tails to be ON all the time like how it is on motorcycles now.

I turn the headlights on and off manually. All it takes is someone else to turn off your lights (Service, valet & etc) and you are running around with no headlights which I think is the case why most people go around with no lights.

I recognize that as soon as I try to use the turn indicator since the feeling is different.

And I haven't seen any place here with valets. The only case where I don't have the car is when it's in for a service at the workshop.

453747.png

Archived