LegacyGT.com

Battery software update

About 4-5 times a year, I'll put my smart battery charger on my wife's car and mine over night, and into the next day. Just to de-sulfate and top off. My wife does a lot of around town and short trips, so this is especially important.

Thanks to everyone for posting this valuable info above!!

Very informative thanks; been reading through those I guess I need to buy a new OBD connector to be able to confirm that the dealer actually did update. Would you recommend someone to buy that CD and do all the updates or only if there is an issue?
You might not be able to unless you know what CID/CALID to expect post re-flash or at least be able to tell what CID/CALID you had before (and hence confirm its different, and shows an incremental uptick in the naming convention). Your ECUID would remain unchanged.

If you have or can get/borrow a Tactrix OPv2 dongle/cable - yes - buying the CD is a no-brainer and allows you to reflash any/all modules on your car (if applicable) and yes, I'd recommend it, especially ECU and TCU.

The cost of the CD is more than offset by the time saved and no need to pull in to a service department.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the charging logic for recent/current Model Year Hitachi-ECU based Subarus has been out since spring last year (first offered up to Dealership service departments in July/August-2017) and then expanded to include additional models years in Jan-2018.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45386461&postcount=204

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45505165&postcount=215

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45539791&postcount=263

The OE reflash takes a whooping 5 minutes to perform (and that's if the tech is extra slow setting things up), plus for that price you can purchase the Jan-2018 CD which contains all the latest reflashes for all MY Subarus from 2005-2018.

All of the recent-gen Subaru's should look into:

a. Alt-S fuse mod (search our forums here)

b. reflashing to latest CID/CALIDs with modified charging logic control

(in reality ECU control over Alternator Duty Cycle)

c. considering disabling the ECU control circuit (easy on 2015+WRX, likely the same or just as easy on 2015+ Legacy/Outback, XVs, Imprezas)

Specific to the 6th-gen Legacy and 5th-gen Outback - all of these mention the same charging logic update

as part of the release notes.

Release month: Jul-2017

2015 Legacy/Outback 3.6R HTCVT FED/CAL Emisions Spec - PAK file 22765AF45D, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2016 Legacy/Outback 3.6R HTCVT FED/CAL Emisions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ17B, resultant CALID/CID unknown

Release month: Apr-2017

2017 Legacy/Outback 3.6R HTCVT FED/CAL Emisions Spec - PAK file 22765AK31C, resultant CALID/CID unknown

Release month: Jan-2018

2015 Legacy/Outback 2.5i MT CANADA Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AF34F, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2015 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT FED Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AF35G, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2015 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AF36G, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2016 Legacy/Outback 2.5i MT CANADA Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ13D, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2016 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT FED Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ15D, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2016 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ14D, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2017 Legacy/Outback 2.5i MT CANADA Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK49E, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2017 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT FED Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK50E, resultant CALID/CID unknown

2017 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK48E, resultant CALID/CID unknown

Unrelated ECM updates - NOT for charging logic changes:

2018 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK85B, resultant CALID/CID unknown

There are also various TCM updates as well for the 2015-2018 CVTs and HT-CVTs (some released in Oct-2016, some in Jan-2017)

As well as CAMERA, DCM, VDC, RKE updates. All waiting at your 'friendly' dealership service center or on CD waiting for you to apply yourself using Subaru provided software (FlashWrite) and a Tactrix OPv2 or other compliant pass-through cable.

Details: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/doc/otherMisc/Reprogramming%20J-2534_January_2018.pdf

Here are the associated CIDs taken from the 2018 CD:

Release month: Jul-2017

2015 Legacy/Outback 3.6R HTCVT FED/CAL Emisions Spec - PAK file 22765AF45D, resultant CALID/CID DB4GA01D

2016 Legacy/Outback 3.6R HTCVT FED/CAL Emisions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ17B, resultant CALID/CID DB4I311D

Release month: Apr-2017

2017 Legacy/Outback 3.6R HTCVT FED/CAL Emisions Spec - PAK file 22765AK31C, resultant CALID/CID DB4I502D

Release month: Jan-2018

2015 Legacy/Outback 2.5i MT CANADA Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AF34F, resultant CALID/CID EB4GA03A

2015 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT FED Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AF35G, resultant CALID/CID EB4GA03B

2015 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AF36G, resultant CALID/CID EB4GA03C

2016 Legacy/Outback 2.5i MT CANADA Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ13D, resultant CALID/CID EB4I313A

2016 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT FED Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ15D, resultant CALID/CID EB4I313B

2016 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AJ14D, resultant CALID/CID EB4I313C

2017 Legacy/Outback 2.5i MT CANADA Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK49E, resultant CALID/CID EB4I504A

2017 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT FED Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK50E, resultant CALID/CID EB4I505B

2017 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK48E, resultant CALID/CID EB4I504C

Unrelated ECM updates - NOT for charging logic changes:

2018 Legacy/Outback 2.5i CVT CAL Emissions Spec - PAK file 22765AK85B, resultant CALID/CID EB4S101C

My dealership is about to perform this update on my 15 legacy

They’re charging me 75$

all ecu updates are covered by warranty by the federal emissions warranty of 8 years or 80k miles. should be covered unless you are over this. if you already paid contact subaru for reimbursement.

all ecu updates are covered by warranty by the federal emissions warranty of 8 years or 80k miles. should be covered unless you are over this. if you already paid contact subaru for reimbursement.

i figured they just tried to make a dollar out of me , my main concern is ...how do i even know they did the update ? How can i tell ? Do they need to disconnect the battery ? if so my Bluetooth and other preferences should have been reset but it wasn't

Your only way to tell is to either get software that will read/report your CALID/CID and ECUID combo and a wireless/wired interface to get at this info via the OBDII port, or to purchase the Subaru reprogramming CD just to learn you already have the latest reflash, or try taking it in to another dealership so they can perform the same check.

Alternative, would be to log Battery V before/after during a WOT pull with all lights and accessories off. There should be a marked difference in minimum Battery V readings.

• 3 weeks later...
Your only way to tell is to either get software that will read/report your CALID/CID and ECUID combo and a wireless/wired interface to get at this info via the OBDII port, or to purchase the Subaru reprogramming CD just to learn you already have the latest reflash, or try taking it in to another dealership so they can perform the same check.

Alternative, would be to log Battery V before/after during a WOT pull with all lights and accessories off. There should be a marked difference in minimum Battery V readings.

I sent an email to the dealership explaining this should be covered under warranty. They said it only applies if the ECM has failed and needs to be replaced

The Subaru warranty does not cover ECM that needs updates

I sent an email to the dealership explaining this should be covered under warranty. They said it only applies if the ECM has failed and needs to be replaced

The Subaru warranty does not cover ECM that needs updates

covered under federal emission warranty all ecu updates 8/80k miles. contact subaru customer service and they can help you out with that dealer.

Are you sure about that, Jdog81? It would be great, because I just paid for this same battery update. I also had some other work done, so it would have been nice for them to have done it for free while they were in there. In the end, this service department has been great over the past decade, so I don't mind paying them for the work they do...ESPECIALLY since I do 99% of my own maintenance and only leave the warranty or big-ticket items I'm not willing to do to them (e.g., CVT flush).

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Are you sure about that, Jdog81? It would be great, because I just paid for this same battery update. I also had some other work done, so it would have been nice for them to have done it for free while they were in there. In the end, this service department has been great over the past decade, so I don't mind paying them for the work they do...ESPECIALLY since I do 99% of my own maintenance and only leave the warranty or big-ticket items I'm not willing to do to them (e.g., CVT flush).

yes contact subaru and they should reimburse you money spent

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Somewhat related.

I had bought one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERIFR3K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) 1.5 years ago as a fail safe as I didn't know how good or bad my battery was going to be in the winter. Fortunately, my battery was decent and didn't need it at all last winter. It just sat in the center console storage, until last week.

I had parked the car in an airport lot for a couple of weeks, and of course in the rush of getting to the flight I left one of the dome lights ON. Come back new years day, try to open the trunk; nothing. unlock the car; nothing. Thought the key fob battery was bad, and used the key and prepared for the alarm to go off as I opened the door, and no alarm. At this point I knew it had to be the battery. I hook the thing up, and sure enough, the dome light came on! Took a couple of minutes of it being hooked to the battery and a couple of cranks and I was ready to get going.

Paid 50 bucks for it at the time. I think it already paid off for the hassle it saved me calling AAA and waiting for a truck to show up on a holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Legacy, and just had the battery die. I was on a trip for over a week, came back, and the car needed a jump. I had a portable jumper like tornichoe.

After about a week the battery was too low for even the jumper, so I had to take it out and charge it (I live in an apartment, so it's not practical to charge the battery in the car). That worked for about 2 weeks until the battery was dead again. Subaru dealership confirmed the CCA were no longer sufficient to start the car.

I replaced with an Optima Red Top, but I see that the battery is not staying fully charged. I added a volt meter to the accessory port. I take mainly short trips (about 15 minutes each way), during which I noticed the car ran on the battery for about 80% of the trip.

Would this software update help? Does that federal warranty apply to the 2016 model as well?

Thanks!

I have a 2016 Legacy, and just had the battery die. I was on a trip for over a week, came back, and the car needed a jump. I had a portable jumper like tornichoe.

After about a week the battery was too low for even the jumper, so I had to take it out and charge it (I live in an apartment, so it's not practical to charge the battery in the car). That worked for about 2 weeks until the battery was dead again. Subaru dealership confirmed the CCA were no longer sufficient to start the car.

I replaced with an Optima Red Top, but I see that the battery is not staying fully charged. I added a volt meter to the accessory port. I take mainly short trips (about 15 minutes each way), during which I noticed the car ran on the battery for about 80% of the trip.

Would this software update help? Does that federal warranty apply to the 2016 model as well?

Thanks!

If you are only doing short trips, yes, the software update fixes it. It should be covered under your 3/36 factory warranty.

Would this software update help?

Yes. The firmware update per TSB 11-176-17 is intended to address exactly the problem you describe.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

If you are only doing short trips, yes, the software update fixes it. It should be covered under your 3/36 factory warranty.

I'm at 38k miles, so they don't honor that warranty anymore. Plus my 36 month is Monday. :(

^If it were a decent dealership, they should do it at no cost - it is a TSB after all. If you got push back, you could always try calling SOA to ask if they'd cover it as a good will gesture. #SubaruAmbassador

Try the dealer first then call SOA and talk with them.My battery died in august and I called SOA and explained what happened. They reimbursed me for the battery I put in #34 and had my local dealer do the battery update for free. A the time I had 55,000 miles on the car. They we're very helpful, and even called me a week later to check on the service and to let me know they sent the check out to me. They know there have been problems with the batteries, way to small.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot next week. I doubt they'll reimburse me for the battery since I put in an aftermarket on my own.

The previous dealer I've been going to was terrible - they even ran the car through the car wash with a window down on the last visit - that was fun. I wrote to SOA and their response was very stand offish to the effect of each retailer is responsible for their own level of service and if I have an issue I need to work it out with the retailer. I'm hoping I have better service with the new dealership.

If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably look to find a wiring diagram, if available, to see if I can keep the alternator on.

If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably look to find a wiring diagram, if available, to see if I can keep the alternator on.

That may not work. I believe its all software controlled now. If they really don't honor doing the update just being a little over, call SOA and see if they give you a good will voucher and let the dealer update it. I wouldn't go cutting wires on a newish car, esp in the core electrical area.

had my ecu updated by subaru dealer under 8/ 80 federal emissions warranty for battery update. was told by subaru dealer all updates to ecu regardless of function is covered under this. only applies to USA vehicles.

Archived