LegacyGT.com

Cold start deja vu

Has anyone experienced long cranks and seemingly misfires upon cold start? When my Legacy sits for more than five hours and the temperature is below 35 degrees Fahrenheit or so it has a significant amount of trouble starting. I will go to start the vehicle and it will crank for a good six seconds and try to turn over, either not completely starting and stalling out or it will start with a seemingly misfire and the engine will bog a good bit. After the start the car runs normally with no issues or codes.

The battery strength seems strong (original battery) and cranks well, but it feels like something is not catching. My 2007 Subaru had the exact same problem in cold weather even after a new battery. Note* the car starts completely normal in temps above 40 degrees. If anyone has had similar issues or has any idea what may be going on I would greatly appreciate feedback. Thank you.

Seems to me that it's running lean and not compensating correctly for the lower temperature. Either an intake leak like bad PCV, gasket or bad hose or that the engine temperature sensor is bad and has to be replaced.
453747.png

I've been having the same problem with my 2014 legacy, which is why I joined this forum. I replaced the battery thinking that it was that but even after replacing the battery I still had the same issue. So I did some research online and I found that some possible causes are a dirty MAF sensor, or simply that the engine isn't getting enough air so it leans out. I did have a very dirty air filter so I replaced it and it seemed to work better, but it's still taking 5-6 seconds to turn over, it's not misfiring anymore like it was before, where it would idle very badly and stall. I'm going to try cleaning the MAF next.

After changing filter and cleaning MAF it can be a good idea to disconnect the battery for an ECU reset and let it re-learn. It will take a few drives before it has re-learned fully, but that's normal.

If the problem persists it can still be either an air leak in the intake like bad PCV or a bad O2 sensor.

453747.png

Thanks a lot for the input 5thGen. A little added note for the starting issue. It seems whenever the temperature is consistently cold (below freezing) the car will have much less trouble starting. It's almost as if now the car learned it is cold out and it has adjusted for a proper start. When the weather is warm and goes back to below freezing it will have the issue starting as stated. This is the exact issue my 2007 had and now that I'm in the first winter with my 14 I'm seeing it again. Deja vu :)

I will also try that, but when cleaning the throttle body and the MAF sensor do you have to disconnect the battery too? I heard that if you don't do this you risk damaging the MAF sensor when you plug it back in.

The throttle body is sensitive, but the MAF is not a big deal as long as you have the ignition off when you disconnect it and reconnect it.

453747.png

Why is the throttle body sensitive? Is there a special process to clean it?

The throttle itself in the throttle body is mechanically sensitive so it shouldn't be forced open/closed because it can damage the mechanical parts controlling it.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
I was having a similar issue just last week. Eventually it threw a code and it was my Crankshaft position sensor. It a PITA to get swap out bc it is in a tight area, but it can be done without removing anything. Mine was directly underneath the alternator behind the belt. I was lazy and didn't feel like changing it out so for about two weeks every time it acted up I had to pop the hood and reach in and jiggle the wire and it would fire right up. I finally replaced it the other day and no trouble since.

Interesting about the crankshaft, 02LG. My legacy acts just fine for the most part as long as the temperature is consistent. It's starting pretty well here in PA considering the low temps of 4 degrees Fahrenheit. The only thing to take note of is that my car acts very goofy in the seriously cold temperatures, like the radio display having a laggy delay and the USB not working immediately. Throwing gears with the manual transmission is definitely tighter, but I actually like the way it feels compared to warmer (looser) temperatures.

Archived