LegacyGT.com

replacing Heat shield for $2k+ ?

Dam itz Lou

He said its between the car and exhaust. I looked up parts and I see about 3 different shields for about $30 each. I'm definitely having a word with him when I go pick up the car. My GF went in to drop off the car since its her car now but I've been going there for a while. I know you're going to pay more at a dealership, but I dont appreciate trying to be ripped off.

That's madness. Try going to an independent exhaust shop and ask them to take a look. They can repair your heat shields or make new ones out of sheet metal stock. Should be inexpensive.

If you can DIY, there is a flexible sheet material from DEI that resembles a sandwich made from thin aluminum on each side with rock wool insulation in between. You can fabricate your own shields using that or something similar.

A couple self tapping screws will tighten up the heatshield. It's the quickest, cheapest and easiest way to fix Subaru rattles since the top and bottom shields are connected.

On a side note, if you need the y-pipe, I have one in very good condition.

We just got back. I asked for an estimate on paper of all parts and he told me he couldn't provide it. :icon_neut

There are the notes he wrote down.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2gwib2q.jpg

This looks like a dealer estimate (not AZP), and it's for a lot more than a heat shield.

We just got back. I asked for an estimate on paper of all parts and he told me he couldn't provide it. :icon_neut

There are the notes he wrote down.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2gwib2q.jpg

Do you have 225/50R17 tires now?

Kinda surprised he recommended that as that is not the stock size for your car.

If they are dry rotted, definitely need to replace them; but not sure I would do it there...

Definitely check your oil since he wrote low then scratched that out.

225/50 isn't a stock size, and it's pretty beefy.

Sounds like a $2100 estimate for $1000 of work. Get some new, proper size tires from a tire shop, and get the exhaust leak fixed at an exhaust shop.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Archived