LegacyGT.com

Vf52 swap

You may not get many answers to this, as it has been covered [literally] hundreds of times. Do a search in the turbo powertrains sub-forum, and in this sub-forum, and you'll get all the info you need. Don't take this the wrong way as it's just my observation; but judging by the questions being asked and the manner in which they are being asked you have a lot of other things to check out and learn before you start slapping on bigger turbos.

Proper punctuation is a good start. ;)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

From what it sounds like, You need to read up on VF 52 install as well as Open Source (get car tuned) vs Cobb AccessPort(Any Plug Instead). As stated before, what you want is here but in 6 years of post. It's not that we don't want to help, it's time consuming to search it then have someone ask the exact same question shortly after we just looked it up 2 post below. Use google search and then type legacygt.com at the end so it looks here. Using the search feature here and it doesn't find something right away, you get a time block before you can change the misspelled word and search again.

Best bet before you touch a wrench is find a way to have your car checked for compression as well as perform "reliability mods" for a 2005 before you put yourself into a situation you are better off parting out than fixing what you broke. Once you do that start reading up on the different turbos and figure out how you want to go about this. Some buy brand new, some toss on an unknown used one and the rest of us got used good shape ones and had it rebuilt from a turbo rebuilder. You want to read up on the risks of trying to toss on the unknown cheap miles ones and how much an issue it is to buy a cracked wastegate housing turbo left as is vs. randomly welded back together again.

Last note, if you get offended easily take a step back and give it 8-10 minutes before you reply back. What came off as harsh may not have been as harsh as it sounds in txt vs it being verbally said.

You have to be careful with mods. Slapping on a turbo without proper experience or knowledge can lead to a new engine costing more then the car may be worth. Find a trusted tuner/shop take it to them and tell them whats on your mind.

In my mind, I intended to type a small paragraph. Pretty much make sure the engine is safe/worth modifying then go to stage 2 mods. No point in a VF 52 swap on a stock down pipe and catted up pipe. As stated above, you can't just toss parts like a whole turbo(kit) on, pull the negative cable, and let the car learn the new mods. You need a tune no matter what you do at this point.

I'll be nice. I've had my morning coffee...

We need to know more about the car and if you can do the work yourself. Tell us where you live, there may be a great tuner close to you.

We don't want you to be this weeks new member who say's I just put this turbo on my car and the engine blew a short time later.

The vf52 is a great turbo for these cars. I have over 103,000 miles on mine on stock fueling. It has zero shaft play.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm going to agree with the above posts about doing some more searching, this forum has a wealth of information. That being said, I switched to a VF52 on my LGT recently when doing a rebuild. Find a good shop and tuner and they will steer you in the right direction concerning supporting mods. That's how I decided on a VF52, through the recommendation of my tuner to achiever the power and reliability goals I wanted. Good luck!

Archived