LegacyGT.com

2018 Legacy -crazy "bad" feature

I just bought a 2018 Legacy "Limited". It's my second Legacy (other is 2011). The 2018s have a new "feature" that is AWFUL. You can't turn the radio off; well, you can, but the next time you start the car, it is "on" again, at the same volume it had the last time you used it.

This is a boneheaded feature. I've asked subaru if there will be a software update to make this user-configurable. I haven't heard back yet.

Be advised. If I could take the car back and trade it for a 2017 (or one that doesn't do this), I would.

I just bought a 2018 Legacy "Limited". It's my second Legacy (other is 2011). The 2018s have a new "feature" that is AWFUL. You can't turn the radio off; well, you can, but the next time you start the car, it is "on" again, at the same volume it had the last time you used it.

This is a boneheaded feature. I've asked subaru if there will be a software update to make this user-configurable. I haven't heard back yet.

Be advised. If I could take the car back and trade it for a 2017 (or one that doesn't do this), I would.

I have 2017 premium model and it also does the same thing

There is a way to tune it to "nothing" - The dealer doesn't seem to like the mp3's I ever have playing when I bring it in for service, so instead of being on "usb" it is on the source selection menu with no music/sound when I start the car up.

I think all the 6th gens do this. Mine even un-mutes itself when I start it back up.... I doesn't bother me that much normally, but when I remote start the car, it has music thumping without anyone in it. Just attention grabbing :(

I think the only way to get it to do nothing is to select a source like usb or aux and It will go to the source selection the next time.

I think all the 6th gens do this. Mine even un-mutes itself when I start it back up.... I doesn't bother me that much normally, but when I remote start the car, it has music thumping without anyone in it. Just attention grabbing :(

I think the only way to get it to do nothing is to select a source like usb or aux and It will go to the source selection the next time.

I think it dies it for the safety warning that comes on every time you start the car..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Say what?? This doesn't make sense, seems to fall along the lines of safety features returning to their default setting. I'll have to test this for myself & see if it could be a tie/deal breaker.

Currently I've narrowed my choices down to '18 Legacy & '18 Accord - for various reasons.

Every time i turn my TV on its always at the same volume as when I turned it off, drives me INSANE.

I continue to be amazed by the utter nonsense and clutter on this forum.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Heard from Subaru of America today, and the answer does NOT make me a satisfied customer.

"This is a design feature of the radio in our 2018 models. Subaru and the supplier set the logic to have the car/audio turned on when the vehicle is started. This is a normal characteristic of the audio unit that can’t be modified or updated.

We appreciate your recommendation for an update for this feature of our audio unit. I will pass on your feedback to Product Development for their review and consideration. Past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our products. The most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers.

If an update becomes available for the audio units in our 2018 Legacy models, we will reach out to those owners with the necessary information by email. Please be sure to let us know if your email address ever changes."

Every time i turn my TV on its always at the same volume as when I turned it off, drives me INSANE.

I continue to be amazed by the utter nonsense and clutter on this forum.

Although I agree with you 99% of the time about the nonsense on here, I do disagree with you on this.

He’s not complaining that when he turns the radio on, it’s on the previous volume. His point is this..he turns off the radio, then turns the ignition off. Next time he starts the car, the radio is defaulted back on after previously turning it off.

This feature does not bother many of us who always have the radio on, including myself. But I would be highly annoyed if every time I turn the light on in my living room, our enter my house, the tv and/or radio came on.

He’s not complaining that when he turns the radio on, it’s on the previous volume.

You sure about it not being about volume? Re-read the first post.

I would be highly annoyed if every time I turn the light on in my living room, our enter my house, the tv and/or radio came on.

Apples and oranges¿ Car has a radio with sound. Tv output is sound. Where did a light switch controlling a tv/radio come in?

I think the solution is to simply take one second to turn the volume to 0. I can also imagine a complaint arising if the car did not default the radio on. Although doubtful, maybe try muting the radio and restarting the car to see if it resolves the issue. I'm guessing it will function as other devices and unmute on start but could be worth a shot.

Well if it helps a lot of people are complaining about this on the Outback as well and have reported it to Subaru, if enough people gripe I'm sure an update will be available. Just my .02 sorry to hear of your disappointment but hopefully you can enjoy the rest of the car!

Mute doesn't work. You'll have to turn the volume all the way down or play one of the alternate sources aux/usb and unplug the device after you turn off the car. Then it would go to the source select screen.

the head units are usually sourced from a 3rd party so I doubt there being an update to fix it. Unless of course a lawyer somewhere finds a way to show that it is a safety issue ;)

I'm fairly convinced that the designer of the systems in my 15, 16 and 17 was checking off feature requirement boxes and never actually used the features. I've seen acres of software written the same way. Yes, we can do that, but don't ask us how well.

Archived