LegacyGT.com

Sell me on AWD

db4570

Right, but it doesn't help you if the idiot behind you has bald all-seasons. You can really only just hope and pray they spin out before they get you?

I get this from people who have never driven with winter tires before. Sure you can have good driving habits in place such as keeping a safe distance from the car ahead of you but someone cutting you off could result in you being that guy in all seasons slamming into the back of someone. Winter tires make a night and day difference in my opinion. Let's you have fun in the winter but still be in control.

• 4 weeks later...

OP here. Here's an update to my post, now that we've driven the car for a month or so, including in bad conditions.

The Subaru is a whole different car, as far as the way it handles compared to our previous two cars (Camry and Accord) which are in the same general size and style. My wife drives the Subey 95% of the time for her long commute, and she loves it. She noticed it just feels more solid and tight than our Camry (which I am now stuck driving) in all road conditions. In the limited time I have had to hoon around in it, I agree. It really is remarkable.

The snow tire discussion is interesting. The Camry is so bad in the snow, I just bought Blizzaks for it, to be installed today. I will be very interested to see the difference they make, and may consider them for the Subey, too, when I can bear to spend the $.

David

OP here. Here's an update to my post, now that we've driven the car for a month or so, including in bad conditions.

The Subaru is a whole different car, as far as the way it handles compared to our previous two cars (Camry and Accord) which are in the same general size and style. My wife drives the Subey 95% of the time for her long commute, and she loves it. She noticed it just feels more solid and tight than our Camry (which I am now stuck driving) in all road conditions. In the limited time I have had to hoon around in it, I agree. It really is remarkable.

The snow tire discussion is interesting. The Camry is so bad in the snow, I just bought Blizzaks for it, to be installed today. I will be very interested to see the difference they make, and may consider them for the Subey, too, when I can bear to spend the $.

David

I feel if you get snow where you live consistently, then you should get snow tires for the Subaru as well. AWD helps but don't fall into the camp where people don't think they need winter tires because they have AWD. Biggest difference is the braking performance on snow and turning with good winter tires vs all seasons.

Glad you're enjoying the Subaru!

I feel if you get snow where you live consistently, then you should get snow tires for the Subaru as well. AWD helps but don't fall into the camp where people don't think they need winter tires because they have AWD. Biggest difference is the braking performance on snow and turning with good winter tires vs all seasons.

Glad you're enjoying the Subaru!

Agreed. I had snow tires on my WRX and my 09 Legacy, which turned them into absolute tanks in the snow. I'm dealing with the factory tires on my '18 for this season, but it's a night and day difference with A/S compared to snow tires. Acceleration is only half of the battle. Stopping and controlling, especially on the hard-pack slick stuff, is the most important.

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot, I live in PHX and am thinking of getting a Subie. I was pretty close to convincing myself that FWD is okay, but I just couldn't quite do it. I am planning to go up north a couple times a year (where it does actually snow a bit) since my parents now have a cabin up there.

Though, the roads are plowed well I hear and regularly, but I still think it's safer being that I've never seen snow, let alone driven in it. Though, I don't think I'll be getting a set of winter tires and just stick with all-season.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you're sticking with A/S, the only thing AWD will get you is (potentially) not getting stuck due to tire spin. It won't have a significant impact in cornering/handling/etc in the snow.

Spoken like a true plebe.

Archived