LegacyGT.com

P0700....fml

Any thoughts on where to source some Amsoil ATF? I've heard that and the Subaru ATF-HD are the only good fluids for our trannys. is that true? any other thoughts? I also read that there's no real reason to change out either of the two filters -- also true?

Pretty much what I've heard as well. I use ATF-HP. You can get a box of 12qts for ~$70 on Amazon/Ebay. My local dealer charged $8.25/qt. Amsoil will probably be much more, and unless you know someone who sells it, you've gotta go online as well.

As for the filter(s); supposedly they're "lifetime" filters. The one on the valve body isn't replaceable AFAIK, but th ein-line external filter it. I still replaced it. They're around $25.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Perfect choice, that's exactly what I get. Idemitsu is the company that selss ATF-HP to subaru, and they're generally cheaper than Subaru's rebranded ATF-HP.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

spoke with the previous owner. he said the last time the tranny fluid was changed was about 50k ago. so, i'm going to put fresh fluid in there and swap out the TCM just to be safe. we'll go from there. I went ahead and ordered the fluid from the above link. as soon as that comes in, i'll post back with my results.

Update: I changed the oil today (rotella T6 and RX8 filter) and did a 3x3 drain and fill on the transmission. The bonehead that wanted to come help put a qt of atf in the front diff tube before I caught it. So its overflowing a bit from the diff/axle spot. Not real thrilled about that. But anyway, refilled the ATF with the idemitsu ATF-HP and drove it around the block a few times in manual mode. Check engine light came back on with all the same codes. So, I'm waiting on a new TCM to come in the mail for me. I'll swap that out and try again. If that still doesn't work, then I'll have to source out a new tranny.

Is having the diff fluid overfilled that big of a deal? Or is it just going to make a mess for a while?

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but I don't see what steps have been taken to diagnose the root cause of the error. The P0725 is triggered when the TCM doesn't receive the engine speed signal from the engine. The engine speed is determined using the crank sensor. But as Dave said, interactions between cam and crank sensors can make all sorts of odd things happen. Replacing the transmission when you've just received a cam sensor code, without pursuing possible cam and/or crank sensor problems causing the transmission error, would be, IMHO, questionable judgement.

When the car died on today's test drive, did it throw just the P0700/25, or did it throw the P0340 again?

Regarding the ATF in the diff, that's bad. The diff does not take ATF, it takes 75W-90 gear oil. Strongly recommend draining, flushing out the wrong fluid, and refilling with the correct quantity of the correct fluid. The current situation can easily damage the diff in not many miles.

it only threw the P0725. no cam code this time. I did verify the connections on both cam and crank sensors and they check out ok. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap those out as a just in case. i'll see if i can pick up the trio.

as for the atf in the diff, thanks for the heads up. i'll be sure to drain that out and refill with 75W-90. thanks for that info.

this is why i'm here, folks. i'm new to these cars and dont know the in's and out's like you all do. i appreciate all the insight.

it only threw the P0725. no cam code this time. I did verify the connections on both cam and crank sensors and they check out ok. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap those out as a just in case. i'll see if i can pick up the trio.

I'd advise starting with pp. 2048-2049 of the vacay pics.

Worst comes to worst, I hate to advise firing the parts cannon, but those sensors are a tad cheaper than a tranny swap. Lazy fix attempt would be start with the passenger side cam sensor, then move on to the other two.

lol. i have no idea what that even means " pp. 2048-2049 of the vacay pics"

i'm looking at part numbers 22056AA140 for the cam position sensors and 22053AA053 for the crank position sensor.

I'm debating whether i want to just get the autozone equivalent or just wait on the genuine sensors to be shipped. I'm guessing the consensus is go ahead and wait for the genuine subaru sensors to come in, right?

I feel like all three of these sensors are fairly easy. the one by the turbo is obviously the easiest. the crank position sensor looks like it will come out with just a swivel 10mm, and an extension. the left side is going to be the tricky one, but if i remove the vacuum lines down there, it shouldn't be too hard with a stubby gear ratchet, right?

lol. after doing some searching, i think i figured out what you meant by vacay pics. thanks for the heads up. that will come in handy. time for a bit of "viewing pleasure."

after reading those pages, i'll bust out the fluke tomorrow and see what i can come up with. I really hope one of those sensors is bad, because if they are all good, (with no other issue) it says to replace the ECM...that would suck.

You shouldn't have ATF in the front diff, it should have the 75W90 oil for differentials/manual gearboxes.

Too much - it might be resulting in oil leaking out in unplanned places so I'd replace that oil and fill it to proper level. And have the bonehead to pay for it.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...

my apologies for the incredibly long delay. was traveling for work and didnt have any time to wrench. I swapped out the driver side cam position sensor today. i mistook the TGV motor for the sensor initially, but figured it out and put it all back together. Drove around the block a few times, both in auto and manual mode, first going easy and then building up. did a few WOT pulls in 1st and 2nd gear. no issues, no codes.

I have a weird smell coming from the engine bay, but i'm sure it's just a fluid of some sort that i spilled. I still have to drain and refill the front diff before i let my wife have the car back, but otherwise, i think we are doing pretty good. i'll keep the scan tool in the car as a just in case and let the wife run around town with it. i'll make sure she takes it easy for a while just to be sure and i'll teach her how to read and clear the codes in case she gets stuck. if everything checks out ok over the next couple of weeks, i'll get with dave to schedule a proper tune. for now, i'll just stick with the OTS stg2

• 4 weeks later...

just wanted to give an update and provide resolution in case anyone decides to use the search button and sees this post.

after replacing both cam sensors, all my problems went away. it's been nearly a month with zero issues. pull strong in both auto and manual mode all the way to redline without any hesitations or stutters. I did replace the front diff fluid and did a drain/fill 3x3 on the trans. I used royal purple 75W-90 on the diff, and the ATF-HP on the trans. I'll probably get with Dave for a proper dyno tune after the holidays.

side note: I figured out that I was looking at the SOHC portion of the vacay pics when I was looking at the diagrams for the cam sensors. yeah, i'm an idiot; but I figured it out.

Glad you got it sorted! Look on the bright side: now that you've gotten the initial "what the hell is this engine and what do all these things do" experience out of the way, everything will seem much easier ion the future.

yup, I think i'm getting the hang of these motors. very very different than the 3sgte platform i'm used to. I have another thread on some woes after doing a headgasket install for an 05 OBXT. but lets keep this all separate. maybe one more tear down and rebuild and i'll be confident enough to start from scratch with my next motor.

thanks everyone for all your help!

Archived