LegacyGT.com

Weird rattling noise (video)

I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i Premium and been having this rattling noise for a few months, it seems like it’s coming from the center console or maybe the front of the car, took it to the dealership a month ago and they couldn’t pin point the issue, and I test drove the car and I could clearly hear the noise and the tech couldn’t, so I took a video of it and took it back to the dealership to have them look at it again.

Here is the video:

It sounds like something is grinding almost.

does engine speed or vehicle speed effect the noise? can you duplicate the noise by brake torqing in drive or reverse with varying throttle positon? can you here the noise outside of the vehicle at all? if while you driving and its making the noise put it in neutral and see if noise goes away or changes. from my exprience exhaust hangers that are positioned wrong can rattle and echo around i the tunnel under the vehicle and make it sound like a dash rattle. hope this helps you help your dealer tech find the problem

It happens when I start picking up a bit of speed so past 10mph I can start hearing it, dealer called me, they drove it and with a tech together and they can’t hear the noise but they could hear the noise when I showed the video to them...they said they can’t do anything about it.

Honestly from the outside you can’t hear it, you have to listen for it, when I started listening for it I always could hear it. Obviously I am not crazy if they can hear it on the video but they can’t hear it when driving it...I am annoyed.

My next step is to take it to a different shop because they could hear the noise but it might cost me more for them to dignose it and fix it.

Took it to two different shops, one shop could hear the noise but they said that is outside of their scope, took it to the other shop, they said they hear the noise clearly and that I will need to bring in the vehicle in next Saturday since they are slammed today.

Took it in today, they have the chassis equipment stuff and hopefully they can figure out where the noise is coming from.

It’s so weird...most shops I took it to they can’t hear it, they can hear it on video just not when they are in the car sitting with me.

When you hear the noise you hear it all the times. Hopefully these guys can pin point the issue, took them on a drive with me but they couldn’t hear it this morning, they said they gonna warm up the car a bit and see if they can pin point it. They gonna use the tools to try to pin point where he noise is coming from. It’s hard to replicate it every time but it’s obviously there.

• 1 month later...

Okay, nobody in my town seems to figure out where the noise is coming from.

After checking everything I think I found out where the noise is coming from, the cupholder area. If I push down with my fingers hard at the bottom of the holder the rattle noise goes away. So something must be hitting under the cup holder area.

Problem is I am out of warranty and if I have the dealer check it out thats another $120 down the drain...I'm thinking something to do with the exhaust.

Did you try removing the center piece of the cup holder that has the spring loaded flaps? I throw change in my cup holder all the time so it gets under there sometimes and will drive me nuts almost as annoying as the leather seat rubbing the plastic when you push the clutch in on the GT's. I used a napkin between the seat and plastic but some went as far as modifying the plastic.

I would pull the top of the console off and drive it again see if the sound is still there. If it is then you should be able to pinpoint it better. It's not like directly under the console is the driveshaft and exhaust. There is still the tunnel and some insulation and the exhaust hangs under the driveline. I doubt that's the cause. If I'm hearing the correct sound it is definitely plastic sounding.

You can also check to make sure all the felt is in place at the clip points, or maybe even add some until you get it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advices, will check it out, been busy at work 13 hour work days. Listening to this noise in the morning annoys me. I did remove the cup holder center piece but that didn’t do anything. Only time it stops making the noise is when I push the rubber in the cup holder area down and it stops making the noise, I think plastic somewhere went lose or hitting something.

I have a similar noise that comes and goes. Although mine is right around idle and it sounds like it coming from the engine bay.

I hate rattles. Driving with my wife with the radio on, it seems to be in a microphone in my ear. My wife can’t hear it, but I know it’s there.

I sometimes am able to stuff a little bit of light foam in some the cracks and crevices where I hear some rattles, that seems to do the trick for a while.

There is a heat shield over the exhaust that could be a little loose in that area under the cup holders. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
I had a 2013 Legacy that had a few rattles that I had to eliminate. This one sounds similar to one I had. It sounded like it could be anywhere, in the front suspension, engine bay, dash area, could not narrow it down. It wound up being under the passenger side dash. It was a metal cased control box (possibly for the passenger side airbag) that was bolted down too close to the dashboard structural steel crossmember. It would only rattle very occasionally and drove me crazy. I took out the glove box and some other trim and drove around with my wife on the passenger floor, lol. She found it! All I had to do was loosen the 2 bolts holding down the box, push it further away from the structure (it had a lot of "play" to do so), and then bolt it down tightly. Never heard that annoying noise again. Good luck in your quest for the noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to a Subaru :)

My driver side visor rattles sometimes. My passenger seat makes squeaking noise (sometimes) when someone sits in it. Something in the rear makes a cracking sound when below freezing and shifting weight across the rear tires. My passenger rear door was rattling the other day when listening to music when it was super cold out (0F)

She still runs though! haha.

Well, the cracking noise has been solved in the past by re-seating the rear windshield- leading theory is that a little bit of moisture gets in between the glass and the body and freezes, and you get a pretty good pop when the body flexes enough to break it loose.

• 6 months later...

Speaking of rattles. I have noticed a rattle that seems to be coming from the engine bay. Cannot find it or replicate it.

I hear it at around 40% throttle. I can hear it when I’m getting back into the throttle through the gears but I can hear it rattling at 28-2900 RPM going 65-75 on the highway. Sounds like a jingling only when I’m about 40% in it.

If anybody has any suggestions or similar cases, things to look at, I don’t care. Let me know

Whats the condition of the heat shield on you headers? Mine is half rotted and makes noise at certain RPM's either up or down shifting. I need to get rid of it and go with a Primitive skid plate.

The heat shield seems to be a great condition. I am the second owner of this car and it has been in Southern California and Arizona. It’s seen snow going back forth to Colorado a handful of times but it’s not rusted at all.

This rattle is weird. I understand that certain throttle loads create different vibrations but it sounds chingy at 2900 RPM on the highway. But it’s only active at 2900 RPM. I’m not sure. I’m gonna get under the car later this week and do some poking around.

Archived