LegacyGT.com

Why did lights stay on?

I keep the lights setting on auto so I never have to turn them on or off. I shut the car off at work, left the keys in my car in the ignition (I was standing a foot away from it), and the head lights never turned off. An hour later my battery was dead and I needed a jump.

Battery is original. Do I need a new one?

Is the lights staying on FAD? I don't know if the key was in the off or accessory position. I get in and out of my car a lot and don't always have time to remove the keys.

The lights may stay on because the keys are in the ignition.

Never leave them there, take them out when you don't run the car.

The reason is that many ECUs in the cars today take some time to start up and therefore the manufacturers have resorted to various ways to do a pre-wakeup of the ECUs various ways where an insertion of a key can give a second or two added time to wake up stuff. Some cars do start up the ECUs already when a door is opened etc.

Lights on + ECUs active is probably pulling at least 200 to 250W, that gives about 20A of current from the battery and a battery that isn't new don't like that. So it's probably a good idea to plan for a new battery if that's the original battery - it's after all about 5 years old now, which is an average lifetime of a battery even though I have had batteries working for 10 years. Get a new battery with as much capacity as you can that still fits the tray and position of the poles.

453747.png

The problem is that a battery invariably dies at the most inconvenient location and time.

Ain't that the truth. Mine wasn't completely dead when I replaced it, but it was dipping down under 11.5 volts in the time it took to pump a tank of gas. Having replaced said battery when it was dark, windy, and maybe 15*F if I was lucky, I'd definitely recommend against that plan.

What battery do you recommend? I'm in upstate NY so need the CCA. I have an Autocraft Gold on my pickup truck and it seems to be fine. What battery size is the Legacy?

I don't remember that size the stock battery is, but a group 34 will fit the tray of you're willing to ditch the plastic coozy. It's a little shorter (I threw out the adapter tray that came with the battery not knowing what it was, and I nearly bottomed out the threads on the hold-downs), but has a significantly higher CCA rating than the OEM size. I went with a Napa Legend 75 month AGM (P/N 9834), which I'm fairly positive is a relabeled Deka Intimidator (P/N 9A34), and those are pretty universally well-reviewed (or in my case, and probably more importantly, available locally). I know GTEASER is a fan of Exide Edge(?) AGM batteries, and those are well-reviewed as well.

I think they kinda fell out of vogue, and Optima seems to have gone downhill a little (at least in materials quality) since Johnson bought them. From what I saw, Deka / East Penn and Exide were up toward the top, at least for AGM batteries. If you're looking at lead-acid, though, that could very well be different. Also, it's the internet, so, you know, grain of salt and all that.

I think I got 10% off for reserving online and picking up in store, but that's about the best I could find. I don't typically go to Napa, since I have to drive past O'Reilly, Autozone, and Advance to get there, so I don't really know what they have in the way of coupons or sales.

Exide Edge AGM. Here's my post in my build thread. I went with a Group 34 size instead of the stock Group 25 because of the massive increase in CCA.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5334847&postcount=45

Higher CCA than stock and with as many Amp-hours as possible for the physical size you can fit in the tray.

Just get a measuring tape and some patience. Don't install anything higher than current battery though since then the poles may come into contact with the hood.

Going cheap on a battery just means that you get worse capacity and shorter battery life.

453747.png

Anyone know if the places that install batteries for free will install these non standard size batteries?

Go check with Autozone, Napa or some similar place and talk with them, most of them would be able to help you unless you are able to install a battery yourself.

453747.png

Best method after replacing the battery is turn the key on let it sit for a minute then start her up and let her idle a few minutes before driving or turning anything on. I have been doing this after all my reflashes, there has been a lot believe me, and it works very well.

Archived