LegacyGT.com

SoCal Porting Stage 3 VF52 Results

I'll keep this short and sweet. If anyone has a dyno plot for an unmodified VF52 please feel free to share.

Vehicle Specs:

2007 Spec B

Forged SB (9.0:1 Compression)

SoCal Porting Stage 3 VF52 Ported

ETS FMIC

KSTech 73mm Intake with heat shield

TGV deletes with phenolic spacers

AVO Inlet

Killer B Holy Header w/ uppipe

Grimspeed Catted Divorced Downpipe

Invidia Q300

Grimspeed 3 port EBCS

DW 1300cc Injectors

DW300

Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch

STI OEM SM Flywheel

Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit with custom dyno tune from Bill himself

Accessport V3

Bill setup the SI-Drive as a boost controller.

(I) is low boost

(S) is 18 psi (Medium Boost)

(S#) 24 psi. (High Boost)

When I first drove the car I left it on (S) and did a quick pull from 3,000 rpm. The car didn't feel laggy at all, and immediately began to pull. The car on (S) is fast enough to earn me a felony, so believe it or not I have yet to try (S#). I see if I can build the courage to do so today :spin:

Cliff notes;

91 Oct results

269 WHP (5300 rpm)

288 WTQ (4300 rpm)

Full Boost at (4300 rpm , 21 psi)

E60 Results

355 WHP (5300 rpm)

370 WTQ (4000 rpm)

Full Boost (3900 rpm, 24 psi)

The rpm's are an approximation because of the scaling on the dyno printouts. I was initially concerned with how late the SoCal Porting VF52 was spooling in comparison to a stock VF52, but on the street the car pulls strong from 3000 rpm all the way to redline. If I had gone to 1/2'' headstuds we would have pushed the turbo further. Mike and Bill both did not want to risk lifting a head with the standard ARP headstuds. I of course agreed, and yes Mike does refer to his dyno as a heart breaker. No complaints on my end though and I'm extremely happy with the results.

Update 9/25/2017

Finally drove the car on 91 octane, and there are a few things to note. As expected the car makes less power, no surprise there. What is surprising is the fact the car is quieter (exhaust sound) and definitely not as smooth as E85. I really can't describe what I mean by less smooth, for all intents and purposes unless you've driven the car on E85 it isn't something you'll notice from the passenger seat. Acceleration on 91 octane is nowhere near as aggressive dare I say violent as on E85. I guess in a way I should be glad the differences between E85 and 91 octane are so drastic, otherwise I suspect I would get use to E85 power and want more. I should also note the difference though drastic specially when going full throttle doesn't necessarily translate into an otherwise boring driving experience while on 91 octane.

423856009_91OctResults_001.thumb.png.c5505a7102fac9ee3df98a2f3790de2f.png

468098290_E60Results_001.thumb.png.e2595b99b2fa1605ffe27102f969039c.png

613414629_E6091OctOverlay_001.thumb.png.278cf745bbfb4314b29f78fcc6e3bc7e.png

I started writing why E60 and then I figured it out... You run the 91 tank as low as you can, then fill with E85 and you'll end up with E60ish. Will it scale up to make more power when running E85? I'd want to figure out how to get a full E85 tune, and come back again with a tank full of just 91.

The 91 numbers look, especially considering Mustang dyno. The E85/60 numbers are probably over 400 ftlbs on a dynojet. You should probably add what clutch you have to your parts list up there ;-)

My stock VF52 with Invidia 1.5 scroll single piece header hits full boost (23 psi on E85) at 3650 ish for comparison. But then it tapers to 18 psi. Your Socal VF52 is holding 23 psi to redline!!!!

Regarding the 91 numbers--is commiefornia pump gas just that bad? Those are like stage 2 numbers, no?

Commiefornia 91 oct is that bad, notice how he also keep it at 21 psi as oppose to 23. Take a quick look at this

I started writing why E60 and then I figured it out... You run the 91 tank as low as you can, then fill with E85 and you'll end up with E60ish. Will it scale up to make more power when running E85? I'd want to figure out how to get a full E85 tune, and come back again with a tank full of just 91.

The 91 numbers look, especially considering Mustang dyno. The E85/60 numbers are probably over 400 ftlbs on a dynojet. You should probably add what clutch you have to your parts list up there ;-)

My stock VF52 with Invidia 1.5 scroll single piece header hits full boost (23 psi on E85) at 3650 ish for comparison. But then it tapers to 18 psi. Your Socal VF52 is holding 23 psi to redline!!!!

Infamous Mike always refers to Bill's dyno as a heart breaker.

I'm honestly not sure how Bill sets it up as far as E85 vs E60, but that would be a good question to ask him when I see him next. Compared to your setup I lost some spool but you are correct it holds all the way to redline. On another note if I had gone to 1/2'' headstuds we would have pushed the turbo further. Mike and Bill both did not want to risk lifting a head with the standard ARP headstuds. I of course agreed, and yes Mike does refer to his dyno as a heart breaker.

No way I could resist S#.

Do it immediately and report back.

Glad you are happy so far.

Went and filled up my half tank of E60 and are now sitting on E72. Still can't bring myself to do (S#), (S) already scared the crap out of me lol. I'll start building courage now and maybe by the time I head home I'll hit (S#) :spin::spin::spin:

This is so tempting.. I have an E85 station just around the corner..

I read and read about the advantages of E85 and now that I did it I have to say the results are beyond anything I imagined. The car is 100% transformed and I haven't even really stretched the Spec B legs. I feel like I don't know the car.

Like you it also helps I have an E85 station just around the corner from where I work, plus two additional stations on my way home.

I'm going strictly e85. Flex fuel isn't completely necessary.

I will say that I'm curious to see the long term results of the DT kit on this platform.

Sure makes it easier to purchase knowing that Bill was going to tune it himself.

I'm going strictly e85. Flex fuel isn't completely necessary.

I will say that I'm curious to see the long term results of the DT kit on this platform.

Sure makes it easier to purchase knowing that Bill was going to tune it himself.

I want the flexibility of not having to switch maps or plan out my route to stay on E85. I will drive the car at least 5 times a week so I will definitely test reliability.

Gabo, looks like you're getting great results on ethanol. The Killer B header is probably a good contributor to that! This is all making me want to put all my racecar parts to use with E85. I've still never been over 18psi and 60% injector duty cycle!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I want the flexibility of not having to switch maps or plan out my route to stay on E85. I will drive the car at least 5 times a week so I will definitely test reliability.

I won't be having multiple maps. Strictly e85. I'm fine with giving up the option to take road trips in the LGT.

Archived