LegacyGT.com

Oil drain plud torque spec?

Thanks...I torqued mine to 32lbs on Saturday and I have a slow, constant drip from the plug. I installed a new crush washer and can't figure out why its still leaking.

not to seem daft, but did you remove the previous crush washer?

not to seem daft, but did you remove the previous crush washer?

I did remove the original washer. I just picked up a new 5 quart jug on my lunch break, will remove the plug and try this again tonight. I have a dozen crush washers I picked up from the dealer years ago (Same part number as my 5th gen)...possibly a bad washer, but doesn't seem too likely. This is the first oil change (5000K miles) on this car and don't really understand why this is happening. Maybe it is a fluke and reinstalling the plug with a new washer with solve this.

You could use a thread sealant, like Permatex #56521. It's used for fill plugs on differentials, transmissions, etc. Should not be necessary, but can't see that it would do any harm, and might take care of the problem.

I only asked because years ago an oil filter gasket stuck to the side of my engine (old toyota corolla) and I installed the new oil filter and gasket on top of it and had serious leakage as soon as I started it up...

For oil changes, pop a Fumoto valve on it and be done with those crush washers forever...

I just ordered a Fumoto valve, it will be here tomorrow. I'm driving the Wrangler this week with the nice weather, so one more day of drips won't hurt anything. I just hope the threads aren't jacked up on the pan.

I just ordered a Fumoto valve, it will be here tomorrow. I'm driving the Wrangler this week with the nice weather, so one more day of drips won't hurt anything. I just hope the threads aren't jacked up on the pan.

If the threads are cross threaded bring it in for warranty pan replacement (assuming you didn't do it).

Fumoto comes with a thick "felt-ish" washer, so that should work to prevent any leak from the thread area.

If the threads are cross threaded bring it in for warranty pan replacement (assuming you didn't do it).

Fumoto comes with a thick "felt-ish" washer, so that should work to prevent any leak from the thread area.

Yeah, Im sure the service dept. will just hop to it and take OP's word that they stripped the plug/pan out. :rolleyes:

Thanks Spect, I've done hundreds of oil changes and this is the first time this has happened. After watching that video, I don't think its stripped out because I used a torque wrench to roughly spec, and it is tight. It does not just spin with torque. I didn't replace the crush washer last night as I stated above because I ordered a Fumoto Valve which will be delivered today. I'm thinking that maybe its just a bad crush washer.

Upstater...What is preferred, using that felt washer or an OEM crush washer? I have have seen both preferences floating around the internet.

Thanks Spect, I've done hundreds of oil changes and this is the first time this has happened. After watching that video, I don't think its stripped out because I used a torque wrench to roughly spec, and it is tight. It does not just spin with torque. I didn't replace the crush washer last night as I stated above because I ordered a Fumoto Valve which will be delivered today. I'm thinking that maybe its just a bad crush washer.

Upstater...What is preferred, using that felt washer or an OEM crush washer? I have have seen both preferences floating around the internet.

I have installed Fumoto's on three different cars now, and use the felt washer, never had a leak.

Yeah, Im sure the service dept. will just hop to it and take OP's word that they stripped the plug/pan out. :rolleyes:

If OP didn't strip it, and since this is the FIRST oil change so the first time that oil drain bolt has been touched since it was assembled, it would have been a factory issue when they installed the oil drain bolt. Stranger things have happened.

Also, I didn't suggest the service department did anything. Reading comprehension, not so hard.

Appreciate all the input fellas, but I do not think its stripped out. It was a concern of mine, but not so much anymore.

It is 100% not cross threaded, and I used a torque wrench to tighten it. I'm going with the crush washer didn't seat correctly. There really isn't much more than that to cause the drain plug to drip. I will know for sure tonight when install the new valve.

Fellas, I'm beyond frustrated with the oil drip. I installed the fumoto valve last night and had no leaks initially. I laid under the car while it was running and it was bone dry. I left it in the driveway today and came home from work to a small puddle under it and the plastic shield is covered in oil. I have never had such an issue on any car I have owned or worked on. I just don't understand what is going on.

I used the rubber seal that came with the valve and it is 1/4 turn past hand tight per the instructions. I'm not ruling out user error, but I highly doubt it. I'm getting back under the car now, but will appreciate any further suggestions.

Fellas, I'm beyond frustrated with the oil drip. I installed the fumoto valve last night and had no leaks initially. I laid under the car while it was running and it was bone dry. I left it in the driveway today and came home from work to a small puddle Under it and the plastic shield is covered in oil. I have never had such an issue on any car I have owned or worked on. I just don't understand what is going on.

I used the rubber seal that came with the valve and it is 1/4 turn past hand tight per the instructions. I'm not ruling out user error, but I highly doubt it. I'm getting back under the car now, but will appreciate any further suggestions.

are you sure it wasn't cross threaded at the factory?, maybe they doubled the crush washer? If there is a leak it is either the threads or the mating surface.

Fumoto valves can fail, but very low chance, is the valve completely closed? If they gave you the black locking clip it only installs when the valve is closed.

From a troubleshooting standpoint, this is not a complicated mechanical proposition.

Also, make sure the area is bone dry (no residual oil in the plastic shield), because the source of the oil after your change might not be the pan and fumoto valve, but spilled oil that is coming off the plastic undercover.

So it was a false alarm yesterday. I got under it last night and there was oil on the plastic cover (pic below) and in my driveway. I cleaned up the plastic and then ran a clean white rag around the valve. To my surprise, there was no trace of oil leaking in or around the valve. The oil that was dripping had pooled on top of the plastic covering and had been dripping which led me to believe it was still leaking. 0202c12a4687d5d5cc3eec7bcc976715.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it was a false alarm yesterday. I got under it last night and there was oil on the plastic cover (pic below) and in my driveway. I cleaned up the plastic and then ran a clean white rag around the valve. To my surprise, there was no trace of oil leaking in or around the valve. The oil that was dripping had pooled on top of the plastic covering and had been dripping which led me to believe it was still leaking.

good to hear. further good news, future oil changes using the Fumoto will be clean and you won't splash any oil on the plastic undertray so you shouldn't find it on the ground again.

Definitely good news! Because the factory drain plug leaked after I change the oil, I automatically thought this one was leaking as well. I have the clip and nipple cap coming today or tomorrow in the mail, and I'll be good go.

@Upstater, thanks for sticking with the thread and continue to give your input. Much appreciated!

I ordered a fumoto for my first oil change after buying the car used. When I went to change my oil, I couldn't remove the drain plug even with a cheater bar. I took it in for service and explained that the previous owner/dealer torqued the hell out of the plug. Handed them the fumoto and told them to put it on when they were done if they could break the old plug loose.

I got a ton of attention around my car for a simple oil change. Four guys stood around to make judgement on whether or not they would be able to take the old plug out. They figured it out, but weren't willing to put the fumoto in. They said cheap oil places use those so when you return they can change it in 15 minutes with a vacuum pump. Seemed like a lame excuse, and now my car leaks like yours, I'm just nursing it along until the next change which will be in a month.

I ordered a fumoto for my first oil change after buying the car used. When I went to change my oil, I couldn't remove the drain plug even with a cheater bar. I took it in for service and explained that the previous owner/dealer torqued the hell out of the plug. Handed them the fumoto and told them to put it on when they were done if they could break the old plug loose.

I got a ton of attention around my car for a simple oil change. Four guys stood around to make judgement on whether or not they would be able to take the old plug out. They figured it out, but weren't willing to put the fumoto in. They said cheap oil places use those so when you return they can change it in 15 minutes with a vacuum pump. Seemed like a lame excuse, and now my car leaks like yours, I'm just nursing it along until the next change which will be in a month.

there are other versions of quick oil change valves, which is what they were thinking of, probably this one:

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

Fumoto is a quality valve, but I didn't install it for other techs to change the oil with it, I installed it for the tech that works in my garage (me). I am not sure I would bring a car with a Fumoto valve to jiffy lube.

With a Fumoto you just don't need to mess with anyone else. You can change the oil with no fuss, no mess, less cost and knowing you got the right oil in with the right amount.

Glad to hear it was a false alarm. If the threads weren't stripped it would be hard to imagine it leaking past the gasket with anything near the right torque on the Fumoto valve. You would have seen something drastically wrong with the seat.

Archived