LegacyGT.com

Oil drain plud torque spec?

"Four guys stood around to make judgement on whether or not they would be able to take the old plug out. They figured it out, but weren't willing to put the fumoto in. They said cheap oil places use those so when you return they can change it in 15 minutes with a vacuum pump. Seemed like a lame excuse"

The words from morons that have no idea what they are talking about...what a surprise. I have been using the Fomoto valves for over 20 years...very high quality and never heard of anyone having an issue if installed and torqued correctly. The interesting point about the vacuum pump is that, with that device (I own one), you don't have to remove a drain plug or use a Fumoto. You just insert the hose down the dip stick tube and suck all the oil out...just more info to prove they are morons!

I have used a 12v oil suction pump on a variety of cars over many years. They work well and with a little "practice" consisting of moving the hose around as the oil level drops, you can get out 99% of the old oil. In addition, with our top mounted filter you never have to get under car (important here in NH winter weather). The whole process takes about 10 min.

I buy them cheap, less than $20 on ebay and they are good for about 10 changes before they start to leak, or otherwise crap out. If you divide that cost over the number of oil changes you can do it really is just a small amount of $$.

This is the model I usually get: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-12v-Motor-Oil-Diesel-Extractor-Scavenge-Suction-Transfer-Change-Pump-/262617923777?epid=1541996468&hash=item3d253f80c1:g:xwoAAOSwzaJX4pJL&vxp=mtr

You can, of course do what you want, but by buying 5qt. jugs of synthetic oil (which ever is on sale, or has rebate) at Wally World and bulk buy of OEM filters on web, the total cost of a syn change is less than $30 and sometimes under $25 depending on oil cost.

Archived