LegacyGT.com

Cant decide 3.6r or STI?

JJay03

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations! If you are thinking of taking the spoiler off, maybe you should ride in one sans spoiler and see what kind of difference it makes. A youtube micheal berenis I believe says he notices a big difference between having the spoiler and not, especially on the freeway.

Just a consideration, it is functional after all.

Congratulations! If you are thinking of taking the spoiler off, maybe you should ride in one sans spoiler and see what kind of difference it makes. A youtube micheal berenis I believe says he notices a big difference between having the spoiler and not, especially on the freeway.

Just a consideration, it is functional after all.

Thanks. I am keeping the spoiler I think. It has grown on me. I love the car so far just getting use to the factory STS not sure I like it or not yet.

703c2575c90a211ca80e471d4c6bfe17.jpg

Big fan of a clear bra if you drive on the highway a lot. Wish I would have done that on my black wagon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Big fan of a clear bra if you drive on the highway a lot. Wish I would have done that on my black wagon.

I had it on my SS but only the front part of the hood and fenders and it helped a lot. I drive 60 miles mostly all highway a day. This time I am getting the whole hood, fenders, and bumper done.

Also think about the leading edge of the roof, I have my wagon covered back about 15 inches to the roof rails. Also the A pillars and front of the mirrors.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Also think about the leading edge of the roof, I have my wagon covered back about 15 inches to the roof rails. Also the A pillars and front of the mirrors.

Thanks. I meant to ask about that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Well a few might say I told you so but I am getting tired really fast of the STI. I may be getting the 3.6r come summer time. The shifter/clutch and the seats are the 2 main things that make me unhappy. I drive mostly highway as well and I feel most of the sportiness of it is wasted. Sad because the STI was always one of my dream cars.

Cons:

Its too loud on the highway

Its a bumpy ride for my passengers when I have them

The shifter it too notchy

The clutch feel is very vague

The seats hurt my back

It is not as fast as I thought it would be

Pros:

Steering feel

brakes

limited slip diffs and dccd

time for an accessport, adjustable struts or coilovers, a lumbar pad, and some shifter bushings, maybe?

Possibly. Not sure the shifter bushings will make it go into gear better though. I have some I just need to install them. You think coil overs would make it ride better then stock? The ride really is not too bad its just loud inside and the interior feels like its going to fall apart over rough concrete. For the seats I would probably just have to get all new seats to be comfortable. I dont like the seating position either as it is too high up even in the lowest position.

If you're hellbent on a 3.6, keep an eye on the Chicago auto show in February. The general opinion is that Subaru is going to discontinue the 3.6 soon - maybe as early as model year 2019 - to promote Turbo-4's.

I'm watching it too. While I am not responsible enough to own an STI/WRX, I am absolutely getting one of the last 3.6's and driving that thing into the dirt.

Possibly. Not sure the shifter bushings will make it go into gear better though. I have some I just need to install them. You think coil overs would make it ride better then stock? The ride really is not too bad its just loud inside and the interior feels like its going to fall apart over rough concrete. For the seats I would probably just have to get all new seats to be comfortable. I dont like the seating position either as it is too high up even in the lowest position.

It's not going to be quiet like a Legacy inside unless you go crazy with sound damping material - you can cut down on noise a bunch via tire selection and smaller rims that let you have more sidewall to the tires. No idea how much softer you can make the car ride - I would guess most aftermarket stuff is set up to be pretty firm... going to be tough with the seats... don't think anything is going to get you lower in the vehicle.

The AP will definitely help with power, though.

• I Donated
Well a few might say I told you so but I am getting tired really fast of the STI. I may be getting the 3.6r come summer time. The shifter/clutch and the seats are the 2 main things that make me unhappy. I drive mostly highway as well and I feel most of the sportiness of it is wasted. Sad because the STI was always one of my dream cars.

Cons:

Its too loud on the highway

Its a bumpy ride for my passengers when I have them

The shifter it too notchy

The clutch feel is very vague

The seats hurt my back

It is not as fast as I thought it would be

I would have told you all this if I had seen this thread. I traded in my 2015 WRX for an SS at around the time you went the other direction (7/7/17) for many of those reasons.

Why didn't you just get winter wheels/tires for the SS? That's what I did.

I would have told you all this if I had seen this thread. I traded in my 2015 WRX for an SS at around the time you went the other direction (7/7/17) for many of those reasons.

Why didn't you just get winter wheels/tires for the SS? That's what I did.

Must have AWD for the 2.3 days a year that it's absolutely necessary. The MPG and performance trade off is well worth it. Plus other excuses.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Well, despite the criticisms, I need to be at work even when the roads are closed. I've been pulled over by local law enforcement before being allowed to continue on my way. The perks of "essential personnel..."

That being said, if it keeps me out of a single accident on one of those "2.3" days a year, then I think it's worth it. What's the difference in fuel? $500 a year? Maybe $1000? I'd rather not die.

Why not just get a regular WRX? The ride is less rough than the STI, the engine and power potential are much better than the dinosaur of the EJ253T is and it doesn't look as boyish because you don't have the big wing (unless of course you bought an STI without one). Cabin noise isn't much better than the STI, slightly because you don't have UEL headers to get a lot exhaust drone, but the ride is much better. When I bought my mine I test drove a wrx, an evo, STI & Focus ST. I liked the Evo the best but Mitsubishi dealers won't cut deals. The STI was cool but I felt like it was a weekend car that I would take to the track more so than an all around driving car. Plus you know with an STI what you're getting in to with potential ringland failures and what not.

If you want something posh, the WRX isn't it. But if you want something that looks nice and is fun to drive, there isn't a better option for the money.

You should look at a Chevy SS. They are fantastic cars.

There's about 15 former LGT owners that have them. I drive mine all winter long. A set of Michelin X-Ices handle the snow no problem.

If you look at his original post, he had a Chevy SS and sold it to buy the STI.

Please explain to me how AWD keeps you out of an accident? Also, if the roads are closed and you drive on them you violating the law.

How does AWD keep me from an accident? If I have to be on the road, and it's lousy out, I'm positive that the AWD provides me more control and stability than a FWD/RWD...

I've done 360's on the parkway. It's not cool. Was I going too fast? Apparently. Was I exceeding the speed limit? Certainly not. I was keeping in the flow of traffic.

I've also accelerated and turned AWAY from someone spinning out on what I believe was ice... I'm not confident that a FWD car would have performed the same in those circumstances. Hell, even my '90 Wrangler, which was in 4WD mode, had issues from time to time with traction. It had a very touchy throttle input, and, granted, this was before ASR and VSC was mandated.

All I can say is that in both my Leg and my OB, I've never felt so much as a fishtail. Some would argue I'm not driving hard enough? :) But, in the end, I get there, and most importantly in one piece.

@The RZA - I saw what I think was a 17 WRX CVT today, it was damn quick off the line. I was impressed, despite it being an auto and all.

• I Donated
How does AWD keep me from an accident? If I have to be on the road, and it's lousy out, I'm positive that the AWD provides me more control and stability than a FWD/RWD...

I've done 360's on the parkway. It's not cool. Was I going too fast? Apparently. Was I exceeding the speed limit? Certainly not. I was keeping in the flow of traffic.

I've also accelerated and turned AWAY from someone spinning out on what I believe was ice... I'm not confident that a FWD car would have performed the same in those circumstances. Hell, even my '90 Wrangler, which was in 4WD mode, had issues from time to time with traction. It had a very touchy throttle input, and, granted, this was before ASR and VSC was mandated.

All I can say is that in both my Leg and my OB, I've never felt so much as a fishtail. Some would argue I'm not driving hard enough? :) But, in the end, I get there, and most importantly in one piece.

@The RZA - I saw what I think was a 17 WRX CVT today, it was damn quick off the line. I was impressed, despite it being an auto and all.

Plz explain how AWD helps you not spin out.

And, more to the point, how it does better at that than snow tires.

Archived