LegacyGT.com

Cant decide 3.6r or STI?

JJay03

I never said anywhere that AWD is better than snow tires. Snow tires are half the equation. AWD to go, snows to stop, in my opinion.

I'm saying in my Civic when slush when under the front pax tire, I lost traction and spun out. I'm guessing that three wheels getting force from the drivetrain is better than one?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does AWD keep me from an accident? If I have to be on the road, and it's lousy out, I'm positive that the AWD provides me more control and stability than a FWD/RWD...

I've done 360's on the parkway. It's not cool. Was I going too fast? Apparently. Was I exceeding the speed limit? Certainly not. I was keeping in the flow of traffic.

I've also accelerated and turned AWAY from someone spinning out on what I believe was ice... I'm not confident that a FWD car would have performed the same in those circumstances. Hell, even my '90 Wrangler, which was in 4WD mode, had issues from time to time with traction. It had a very touchy throttle input, and, granted, this was before ASR and VSC was mandated.

All I can say is that in both my Leg and my OB, I've never felt so much as a fishtail. Some would argue I'm not driving hard enough? :) But, in the end, I get there, and most importantly in one piece.

@The RZA - I saw what I think was a 17 WRX CVT today, it was damn quick off the line. I was impressed, despite it being an auto and all.

CVT is quick but not mod friendly. Any CVT I’ve seen modded, it grenaded with Stage 2

• I Donated
I never said anywhere that AWD is better than snow tires. Snow tires are half the equation. AWD to go, snows to stop, in my opinion.

I'm saying in my Civic when slush when under the front pax tire, I lost traction and spun out. I'm guessing that three wheels getting force from the drivetrain is better than one?

So, once again, if you are moving at speed, how is AWD going to help you turn, stop, or not spin out?

I bought a Forester over the SS after trading in a Legacy for an STI because testing a WRX over a Lancer for a DD with AWD to avoid leasing a BMW on top of MB instead of purchasing a CPO really made sense.
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I am up in Bedford, NH for the holidays. It snowed as I was coming up on Friday, and we got a quarter of an inch of ice yesterday. Bedford is pretty hilly too. The SS with snow tires has been great.

It would be even better with AWD! :p

I am up in Bedford, NH for the holidays. It snowed as I was coming up on Friday, and we got a quarter of an inch of ice yesterday. Bedford is pretty hilly too. The SS with snow tires has been great.

Nice

I would have told you all this if I had seen this thread. I traded in my 2015 WRX for an SS at around the time you went the other direction (7/7/17) for many of those reasons.

Why didn't you just get winter wheels/tires for the SS? That's what I did.

I did not want to drive my SS in the salt. I have been thinking about a Golf R next but I should probably keep the STI for a few years.

• I Donated
It would be even better with AWD! :p
The only way that would have been true is if I got stuck with RWD, and I didn't, sooooo...
I did not want to drive my SS in the salt. I have been thinking about a Golf R next but I should probably keep the STI for a few years.
So you didn't want to drive the SS in salt, so you decided not to drive it at all?

Probably better that you sold it then. Cars were meant to be driven.

The only way that would have been true is if I got stuck with RWD, and I didn't, sooooo... So you didn't want to drive the SS in salt, so you decided not to drive it at all?

Probably better that you sold it then. Cars were meant to be driven.

I did drive it just not in bad weather. Something about a #2 of 2 Alchemy purple car I could not let rot away. If I lived in the south I would have kept it. You most likely will have issues getting parts for that car in the future as well. I wanted 1 nice car to drive all year. I also expected more out of the 18 STI and thought I would be happy with the switch.

My perfect car would be an ATS-v but with a v8 instead of a v6. I love the ATS chassis as it handles great and is super quiet on the highway as well. Would be great if Chevy made an SS replacement on the alpha chassis.

• I Donated

So because you had a rare color, you didn't want to drive it? How does that make sense? It's not your responsibility to save your car from being driven.

And the ATS/ATS-V is way too small, at least for me. If I put the driver's seat how it's comfortable for me, there is literally 2-3" between the front seatback and the bottom cushion of the back seat.

So because you had a rare color, you didn't want to drive it? How does that make sense? It's not your responsibility to save your car from being driven.

And the ATS/ATS-V is way too small, at least for me. If I put the driver's seat how it's comfortable for me, there is literally 2-3" between the front seatback and the bottom cushion of the back seat.

There are many car guys who feel the same way as me. My father restores old cars for a living and I value certain cars as collectibles. Not that the SS is at that level yet though. I figured the STI would be a better long term car for me but it is a bit too raw for a daily. I also thought I wanted a MT car again as my SS was AT but I am not so sure now as it is not a fun as it use to be to me.

You dont have to justify why the SS is right for you or try to convince me I made a mistake.

I dont need a lot of space for a daily so an ATS is fine for me. Like I mentioned before I am also considering a Golf R or I could possibly just hang on to the STI.

What about everyone thinking you drove a Malibu? I hear a lot of guys like the incognito effect.

Sleeper affect is nice because not as many people try to race you. They look pretty good once all the chrome is blacked out. It handled ok but still felt like a heavy car of course and bumps upset it a lot more then my STI. LS3 + RWD is always a winning combo though.

what about the possibility of driving for Uber? you can't do that in a STI.

LoL There is a local guy who has a procharged SS who also Ubers from time to time. He gives the option of a mild or wild ride ;). STI is not as comfortable for rear seat passengers.

Archived